Agnostic.com

13 9

I recently had a very in depth convo with a friend that has been my friend for over thirty years. His son just recently announced that he is engaged to a woman who isnt of his race. My friend didnt react to this news well and it disturbed him enough to call me out of the blue to discuss his feelings. We had a great convo and he now has anothers view point on the matter. I reminded him that I fit into almost every ethnic group and I speak six languages plus ASL, and we grew to love one another as brothers and friends. So....thoughts anyone?

JayJackson 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is a tough one because I've lived my entire life in an environment in which interracial relationships just aren't a big deal. I would try to help him explore why it bothers him.

I am ok with this. THough one relationship was stopped by the person with the tan because he didnt think I would understand how harsh the world might treat us..

I've had situations in the past where long time friends reveal themselves as racist or homophobic or some other extreme views so I can relate. It's made me reevaluate some friendships.

I didn't know that problem still exist. I hope you can help him work through his prejudice.

One of my favorite people as I was growing up was my Aunt Mickie, her real name was Umeko. She was born in Japan, met my uncle while he was stationed there during the Korean War. I grew up thinking it was normal. Race is a human idea to separate us, truly under the skin we're mostly the same.

Thank you, Jay. The world needs more ambassadors like you.

If they get a genetic analysis, and look at evolution, the glaring conclusion is that everyone is mixed race.

I can't hate the Spics, Frogs, Limeys, Krauts, Pollacks, Chinks, Haggis munchers, Mics, Injuns, Wops, Gawurs, or Cavemen because I am all those things! I can't even hate (forgive me) Niggers! My blood type originated in the area of Lake Chad, Africa about 79,000 years ago.

Being a mutt myself - I certainly would be the last to object to crazy mixed up couples !

Stir up the soup - only makes it richer and more nourishing !

Great story...would be nice if others facing similar situations had a friend to talk with, when something like this came at them out of the blue! And, every one needs a loyal friend, such as yourself!

Colour has nothing to do with who you are and anyway we are all a colour. also, I think a lot of people would be surprised genetically what their background actually is.

When my daughter started liking black boys as a teen, I was concerned because I knew it would make life difficult for her since we lived in a small conservative town.

Perhaps the fact that I had been in a same sex relationship and suffered harassment for it primed me to be more accepting but I also like to think that I loved my daughter enough to be ok with whoever she ended up with

Her father on the other hand called her horrible names and told her when she was pregnant with the second one that he would kill the fucking monkey if he could get away with it.

Which is why I have previously said on a different thread that I would run him over if I could get away with it.

I hope the lady in question was of the human race ...

I think that no matter how progressive we think we are, we do have challenges with biases. It's part of being human. What I like most is that your friend felt safe enough to pick up the phone and talk to you about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.