Agnostic.com

7 18

One of the formative events in my life was an overnight stay years ago in a one-room log shelter on a mountain trail. one door, one stove, one latrine, one brook, and two windows. There were two of us and it was raining. oops... nope, a family of 5 just showed up. There were 7 of us. Wet and chilled, trying to get a fire started... oops... knock at the door... two more folks. There were 9 of us. The last two were a couple that had escaped after the Hungarian Revolution. The evening, and late into the night, was story-telling and comparing life stories. The next morning as we said our good-byes I shuddered to realize the experience we had all just had. I have never forgotten that night and how close we all became, yet how different we all were.

Dick_Martin 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Serendipitous events, they are to be treasured.

Sounds like a great time just dropped by. Did you get the fire going?

Yes, yes we did. It was also my only experience with 9 in a bed ( a raised wood sleeping platform across the back wall of the shelter.)

That is beautiful...

cool

How awesome!!

Strangers are fun. ....they're strange.

Sounds like a pretty cool evening

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.