Agnostic.com

13 1

Conservative atheist!??

Is it possible to be atheist and socially and politically conservative at the same time?!
What do you think!

Shaghaf 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have you visited the conservative group on this site? Many are simply anti-liberal and not at all conservative. An example is that many prefer dealing with religious people than liberals. It's interesting because the use of a god for so many guide their views, so sharing those views knowing the source is bizarre and typically causes pause. I think it's more about having a strong leader/authoritarian that makes them feel good and perceive things are getting done. Reality is a completely different story, though.

No I haven't visited that group yet, I'm new in this website and still learning how to navigate through it .

If you are that disgruntled with that group, I must ask again why do you bother staying a member? I am both conservative and anti progressive liberal, with a few of the social based issues I find myself in agreement with the left, and there is nothing wrong with that. In all honesty I've actually had more productive conversations with religious folks over the years than I have with those who identify as liberal progressive, are you implying that there is something wrong with that? You asked for sources and I mentioned a few (which in turn could be backed up by other sources on the net that had mentioned the same thing), but that wasn't good enough for you though. Sometimes I think those on social media do these sort of things just to be argumentative to others, and when you approach others in a condescending manner chances are pretty good you won't get far with them, which is why up to now I've largely ignored you. For what it's worth, I see those from various political viewpoints downing other views, so the conservative group on here is not a special or unique instance, and by chance did you swing by one of the leftist groups on here to see what kind of venom they spew? My bottom line is, if the conservative group bums you out that much keep in mind you're not a prisoner to it. Geez, the last thing anyone on this site needs is to get bummed out over what a particular group says or what their politics are they follow. I don't bother much anymore with the public threads precisely because I lack sufficient time to dedicate to any debate/arguing that could occur from certain posts, and most members of the conservative group don't have alot of time as well and just wish to be left alone. Wish there was more time in a day, just saying...

@SpikeTalon
Yep, see my other comments in leftist groups. I said nothing derogatory about you or the group members. Desiring a strong leader is not negative, but it's not for everyone.

Maybe not you, but I see many members of the conservative groups as well as others I encounter in my daily life as anti-liberal, not so much conservative. They think the default of being anti-liberal is a conservative, but that is incorrect. It only shows their polemic nature, not their ideology.

As for credible sources, it's not an arbitrary process nor is it as simple as many believe. If I submitted any papers in academia or in my current field without using established methods and sources that withstand the environment of increased unverified variables that we currently live, I'd fail or get removed from my position. It takes years to cultivate the ability to decipher quality info from fallacy.

You never answered my question from the other exchange.

I find, more and more everyday, that most people who deal in labels, can't even produce a cogent explanation or definition for those labels, much less discuss them in depth.

Seems the terms ‘liberal or progressive’ are the opposite from ‘conservative or regressive.’ What I’ve consistently witnessed are those labeling themselves ‘conservative’ looking to keep things either the way they are, or were. With that, the way they were was extremely religious, with that being the direction they’re shoving others..

Liberals or progressives appear the only ones advocating for freedom from religion ..though I’ve met far too many apparently incapable of breaking their ties to some kind of mythology…

@Varn Yes, and until recently, i shared the same view. But now, the far left fails to see the that other religions can be just as bad, just as zealous and pious, as Judeo_christian ones....That's the most salient reason i left the left: their inability to see the radical nature of religious communities that have not had an "Age of Enlightenment".

BTW: We are ALL atheists!....I just go one god further.

Of course u can! The same way u can be a vegetarian and conservative. They are "none overlapping magisteria"!....One, on a basic level, has nothing to do with the other.

I think I explained somewhere, couldn't find right now, what I meant when I asked this question . My point of view that when you question, challenge, or reject religions which represent a huge part of people beliefs , then I assume that you have critical thinking, kind of rebellian, and wouldn't accept the conservative perception of social and political issues ..
I agree about overuse of labels, and I have the impression that , labeling everything is an "American talent" ..

@Shaghaf oh yeah, cuz it's easy to simply slap an identity on to something or someone.

@IamBane , and that's makes it more difficult to a "stranger" ( for example, not American, with a darker skin color) to find their places in this society . They talk too much about diversity but I haven't found it yet

@Shaghaf Yet EVERY successful person of color says different. I have never met one that said "Man, I almost didn't make it because of all this racism."....It's all in their head! If u think u can't, u won't. If u think u can, u will------THAT"S IT!

@IamBane i believe that we're talking in different level, plus I don't know what do mean exactly when you say "every successful" person..

@Shaghaf Every=the ones i've met

There are some conservative atheists. I think I saw numbers like 51% liberal, 32% moderate, 13% conservative. This would jive with the fact that atheists are secular and generally freethinkers. Two things not acceptable within the conservative realm. I’ve always considered myself socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I’ve been forced much further to the left than I ever thought possible.

@ green_eyes. When you say forced ...you mean in reaction to the right?

@Bigwavedave yes, definitely. It’s a defensive mechanism to the hate and bigotry that has become a mainstay of the right.

@Green_eyes I'm sorry this country did that to you. 😟

That would require an Oxymoron 😀

Varn Level 8 Oct 15, 2018

When I think "conservative"....the leaders of the conserative party comes to mind....and with the top most leader being trump....yes I think sexual assault, racist, cruelty toward immigrants and children, and tearing down every good thing American in order to enrich the wealthy. And yes I am all for taking from the rich and giving to the masses that work and serve to enrich their own lives. And "yes" I think you can be an A-hole with or without a belief in gods. Just not as likely to be able to really justify the current "conservative" aberrants, unless you go along with religious beliefs.

I asked that question thinking that atheist people, are people who questioned , challenged, and rejected the religious beliefs. In a way they have a critical thinking that help them rejected what the majority follow or believe . So how with that "progressive" mindset of questioning and critical thinking, someone witll accept the conservative perception of social, and political issues ..
I apologise for the broken English. English is not my first, or second language.. it's the third ?

Congrats on 3 languages!

There a few here on this website, and whenever I meet one, I block them. It's horrifying to think about being friends with people who approve sexual assault, caging immigrant children, xenophobia, racism, etc.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

You can check for local events on the "Events" tab in the drop-down menu under the "Discuss" button, above.

Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page.

@Bobby9 yeah, whoa????

@IamBane Are you a GOP, or Trump supporter? If so, I'll block you immediately.

@birdingnut Damn birdnut, ease up on that. Think about what ur saying!...U don't mean that?!?.....that's just as close-minded as a "trump supporter"

Theres a troll page dedicated to that subject they tend to just brag about abusing the rest of us whilst pretending they are superior to everyone else

Why not . What does ones beliefe in a god have to do with ones political views.I am a consertive and a nonbeliever as well

Once you reach level 4 if you are interested, you are more than welcome to join- "Conservative Atheists"

Thanks

Right on!!?

There is a conservative group here. I joined it stating that I was a social democratic conservative, only lasted there three days before they threw me out. Seems to me like it is a group for people that are not prepared to discuss things, only to be yes people no matter what.

i find that too!

I banned you because you decided to comment on one of my posts just to play the "offended card", which is what the political left is known to do. There was really nothing about you hardly that struck me as being even remotely conservative. Believe me, banning you wasn't my favorite thing to do, but there is a clear reason why people on here join groups. I'd contend a good portion of the groups on this site don't care to debate, and there would be nothing wrong with that. I don't bother as much anymore with the public threads because the same topics are brought up constantly, and if I did so to get away from the arguing or debating, why would I want to deal with such within a group that I host?

@SpikeTalon Yes just as I suspected, just a yes group or you are dead, and as far as me not being conservative you just have no clue at all.

@Jolanta Perhaps I don't, I admit I could have been wrong on that, but you disagreed with quite a few of the main conservative stances, which got me wondering. This site is really supposed to be for leisure and maybe fun, not exactly a good thing for some on here to be getting offended, I didn't come to this site to give anyone headaches. Thought it best to just ban you so you wouldn't have to be upset anymore😉 As far as groups go, I'd dare say any group is like that (with the possible exception of a specific debate group maybe) which is why they are called groups, a group of people with similar values and goals and whom would most likely agree with you. If it's any consolation, you could always start your own group...

@SpikeTalon You seem to think that in a group of people everybody will think and feel the same about everything, well I have news for you. In any group there will always be people who have other options especially after they have really looked into a matter. No I am not upset at all, this just proved to me that it is a yes group who only scratches the surface of what is going on. Rather sad I think, after all not much in this world is black and white, and there are many shades of grey too.

@Jolanta Yeah... groups do have some of those who think differently and join said groups in order to start trouble... such individuals are called trolls. I have to slightly disagree with you on the last part, quite a few things in life are one way or the other and a middle ground wouldn't be possible. Good to hear you're not upset though.

@SpikeTalon I am not interested in starting trouble, I guess it is easy to start calling people names when one doesn't agree with something. I always used to think that groups would want to experience different opinions, seems to me that it is almost impossible in the US. How about just agreeing to disagree, no name calling is needed. Yes middle ground in not always possible, however I get exasperated with people who refuse to see another way, especially as in parts of the world that way is working just fine. I totally agree with you that there are things that are just black and white. Good to hear you are not an angry American.

@Jolanta I can agree on the name calling part. I think most groups are usually geared towards whatever subject or topic the group was started for, but there could be exceptions to that I suppose. While my overall politics do lean heavily to the right, truth be told I'm a registered Independent who doesn't really care for either of the two major US parties, it's just that I find myself in agreement more with the right in recent times.

@SpikeTalon I wonder why you do. Sometimes we only look at slogans or headlines without looking into it properly. Although I am social democrat, I am a conservative one but when I look at the right wing conservatives in the US and here in Australia too I wonder how those people sleep at night.

@Jolanta I've often wondered how both Democrats and Republicans sleep at night? Social issues such as equal rights for all and reproductive rights for women I tend to lean left, while economic and financial issues I lean right. In other words a balance of the two, or what in my country would be known as the Libertarian Party.

@SpikeTalon Yes, I too believe in social issues, after all we are all human and what we do to others will also be done to us, that is almost like an eye for an eye.

Yes, though not as common. Most progressive views are geared toward the social good, most conservative goals are to the benefit of the very wealthy, with religious morality thrown in to build the base. My words are biased of course, but without either significant wealth to protect or a dogma to appease, progressive leaning is the more likely outcome.

That said I enjoy a good conversation with a educated conservative.

Those exist?

@birdingnut Yes, but they also tend to be self aware. They admit they support what benefits them most.

I totally agree @ThisGuy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:201466
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.