Agnostic.com

29 4

What are some of your favorite quotes? The ones that stick with you.

bleurowz 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. ~Carl Sagan

indubitably

Love that one. It's become an instant classic, I think.

“When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.” -Mark Twain

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch T.V."- Morty from Rick&Morty

"Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure." Agent Smith (Honestly, I love the entire Agent Smith monologue to Morpheus, but I didn't want to paste the whole thing)

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" my 8th grade teacher said this once. She probably got it from somewhere else, but I have never forgotten this.

That Rick and Morty comment...my personal favorite! Thanks for the memory!

The "half of what you see, none of what you hear" quote became, "believe nothing of what you see, nothing of what you hear, and nothing of what you say," with the advent of the computer age.

“I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.”
? Frederick Salomon Perls

I like this quote a lot. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a discussion about that prayer. [funtrivia.com]

"...no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -Pogo

I don't know the origin of the quote but my mom brought me up on it. "Say what you mean, mean what you say. Try not to be mean when you say it."

I have heard other variations of it (Dr. Seuss and Alice in Wonderland) so it's possible my mom altered it. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Feb 1, 2018

"Actions have consequences. You have a choice of your actions, you do not have a choice of the consequence of your actions. Choose wisely." - J. Lynn Engle

I like that very much. Thanks.

“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” ~ Confucius

“People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don’t know is what what they do does.” ~ Michel Foucault

“We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

And this one from one of my favorite authors:

“1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.” ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"It is the good in man that makes democracy possible. It is the evil in man that makes democracy absolutely necessary." Reinhold Neibuhr.

"I choose to live, not just exist."
-- James Hetfield

Don't be sad it over, be happy it happened.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
Frank Zappa

JK666 Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

There are a couple quotes I personally like and try to live by that are attributed to Wm. Shakespeare. I'll reproduce them to the best of my ability here, though I may be paraphrasing:
"A thing is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."
"Expectation is the root of all heartache."
Now before anyone gets upset or put out at these, a) They're from Shakespeare, not me; if you disagree, or don't like, or want to argue about them, go find the Bard's gravesite, and argue with him, I'm not in the mood, b) they're just words, take them, or leave them, I don't care; but they have meaning for me.

Konrad Lorenz worked not far from my childhood home in the Max Planck Institute on animal behaviour. Famous for finding the imprinting mechanism in young birds. He said ( more or less like this, and it wasn't just a joke) : "This long lost missing link between the apes and the human, I have found it! It is us."

My mom "It will come home to you".

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow.

thanks for the earworm

This is a quote that one of the characters in my book says, and I have used it ever sense.

Bad things happen to good people.

Socreties.... I know I know NOT.
Screw it.
Damn it.
Love you.
Gimmy... gimmy...lol.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field.
I'll meet you there."
~ Rumi

"There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
~ Leonard Cohen

Nothing hard is ever easy. - one of my CS professors.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. (sorry for the missing accents).
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before ?Eisenhower

Never confuse the issue with logic... I only know this is not mine but can't remember where I stole it

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one." - Albert Einstein

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." - Carl Sagan

"Mathematics is the language of nature." - Lawrence Krauss

"I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness." - John Muir

“Many fears are born of loneliness and fatigue.” (Desiderata) I like the whole poem except for the line about believing in a god.

“DDDS don’t do dumb stuff” just one of those things at summer camp they told the kids.

“You have two ears, one mouth. Listen twice as much as you speak” Iv found this to be wrong, I need to listen at least10x more than I speak, but you know parents.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20187
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.