Agnostic.com

7 11

I was recently asked by an old friend who knew me as a devoted Christian, what happened? "You had such a wonderful relationship with God. He was your father and we could all see how much you loved him and how he loved you.”

This is my response.

I didn't move away from God as you put it, or backslide, or run away because I was angry. The God that I believed in was never there in the first place. My belief was challenged by real events in the real world—which forced me to look beyond the belief and into reality itself and deal with what was true and what was just made up. By letting go of that belief in God, in computer terms, I simply uninstalled an application that tried to take over my hardware and not allow me to function as I was meant to function.

As to the “father” … in my mind I had created the perfect father based on deficits in my own life. That father was passionate, gentle, hilarious, creative, sensitive, wise, devoted, loyal, and he loved me deeper than I loved myself.

God joked with me, he called me Toots, he cuddled with me, he was physical in ways I wasn’t allowed to be as a gay man, and he comforted me when I was down. Yet when I needed him most—when the universe came at me with real-life stuff—like a meteor crashing to earth—God wasn’t there. And that’s because he was “never” there. I was there.

As a writer, I create characters all the time, and they’re powerful to me. They “exist!” I laugh with them, I cry with them. When I wrote The Children of the Night, there was one paragraph—one paragraph—that was so hard to get through it took me over three hours. And half of that was spent weeping—deeply sobbing because of the events taking place in that character’s life.

I love Timothy, Jeff, Julian, Sean, Tony, Pilgrim, Faithful, and all the other characters I’ve created over the years. I can tell you things about them that aren’t even in the books. I know how they feel about situations beyond their stories, the same way J.K. Rowling knew Professor Dumbledore was gay even though it was never mentioned.

Just like that, I loved the father I created. I see him reflected so often in my thoughts as the highest form of me. But he’s still a character that I created in the story of my life. I would never presume that the characters in the books I write are real. But they’re real to me.

In reality, I choose to “keep God,” knowing that he is a character—but one that I find beautifully attractive on so many levels. But he’s “my God” and nobody else’s.

Harry Potter is a story that has captivated millions around the world, and we all relate to him. We joke about him, we have memes, and we can tell the stories in our heads. He’s real to us, though he’s not real in the universe.

That’s what happened.

Benthoven 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your explanation is excellent....but when somebody ask me why I am Atheist, my answer is direct and simple (for then to grasp): "God doesn't exist." People don't have the right to question your decisions neither have the right to judge you.

I wish I could explain what made me an Agnostic as beautifully as you did!

As a child and into my teen years I really tried to believe what my parents believed, but I just never could. When I came otu as an atheist, my parents pointed to my efforts to try to believe what hey did, only they referred to it as "devotion" and talked about it beign evidence that I once must have believed. When in reality all those efforts were a part of just trying to please emy parents, by tryint to gain the same beliefs they did.

I'd bet a lot of us as children made such effort in vain, because we wanted to fit in and have the same beliefs as our parents, which our parents and other church members mistook as devotion and evidence that our beliefs were strong.

People see what they want to see, and this is especially true for the religious.

Wow, that is an amazing way to describe it. You’re so right. It’s kind of how we envision people as how we want them to be, instead of how they really are. This happens with every relationship, although this time it’s an imaginary being. People everywhere have different relationships with this being depending on their life circumstances, but they don’t realize the big picture.

I think it's like any relationship. Somewhere along the line you start drifting away. The further you drift you begin to wonder why there is no one pulling you back so you break away. Hoping there will be someone to pull you back but there is no one. That's when you know for sure you're doing the right thing.

SamL Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

Wow that's a big and difficult program to delete. I think it's more closely related to a virus because programs delete and they're gone but a virus can be deleted and come back. It take more effort for the end user to get rid of. Congrats on pushing delete.

It is difficult for believers to come to the realization that death is final and that their lives are meaningless to the universe. We matter to each other, and that is what makes life worth living, not a hope for a fantasy after death.

We matter to each other. I like that.

I think that's one of the greatest challenges of religion. It reaches back into a world that never was, gambles on a world that will never be, and destroys the world that is now.

I've seen believers ask: "If you don't believe in god, why don't you just kill yourself?"
They have it backward, they think they're going to heaven after they die, why not hurry up and get there?

I so agree Paul. The other thing they say is that how can we have morality without a god. I reply by saying that it is pretty scary that the only reason they don't rape or murder is because their god doesn't want them to do it. "Funny" but he wanted them to do it in the buybull.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.