Agnostic.com

2 0

Islam

Has anyone on this site read the Koran (Quran?). What was the main takeaway you got from it? I know it is probably difficult to capsulize it here, but 2 or 3 points, if you can.
(Watching Sam Harris on Youtube talking about Islam)

Condor5 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, to be honest, I can't say I read the Quran. I own one and I started reading, but stranded immediately.

I read:
In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.

1. Alif, Lam, Meem.
  2. This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
  3. Those who believe in the unseen, and perform the prayers, and give from what We have provided for them.
  4. And those who believe in what was revealed to you, and in what was revealed before you, and are certain of the Hereafter.
    than it already stopped!

The fact that a book starts with "Everything written in this book is true and is a guide for those who are willing to go the right way" and (just like you also find in the Bible) "those who believe in the unseen" and "who believe in what is revealed to you (in or based on this book) without any doubt", etc. will enter the afterlife.
That ended it already for me. A book what starts with "What you read is true and you are not allowed do doubt it" is really something that always have been against my natural core. The reward of the afterlife, which is the biggest in all religions is like a ice crystal. It looks beautiful, but actually is nothing. I never trust someone that tells me a story proclaiming that is the truth. Not even when he pays me a handsome reward. I am a lawyer and I know that every truth is based on a point of view and of the perception of what is observed. And also that one's memory is selective. So never tell me you speak the truth without proof.
I surely believe things that are the truth, but they can only be "my truth". When I explain and proof, it can become another's truth too. When I'm convincing it might be accepted even without proof. But never take my word for granted, because I'm just some Calimero, small in a big world with a lot of people around me.

Gert Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

I have. It is, as expected, definitely one of the Abrahamic religions. It and Judaism share many tenets which of course Christianity then pilfered.

@sarahjustme That doesn't take into account Ishmael, the son of Abraham, who is regarded as a prophet and ancestor of Muhammad.

@bmchizzle Yup. Islam may date from the time of Mohammad, but it draws on older mythology (hence Ishmael, Ibrahim etc.) - just like Christianity does, hence all the stuff in the Bible that happened before Jesus showed up.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.