Agnostic.com

18 4

How many of you have thought of relocating due to your beliefs? I've heard about some areas being far worse for Atheists to live in than others. (The South for instance). Have any of you actually relocated?

RavenCT 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I did...I simply couldn't take any more! But, I find there are religious people everywhere, just not the same with their immersion into it...if that makes any sense! Some people seemed to just live their religion, where others go around promoting their religion. I am fine with the former, it is the second kind, that goes against my grain!

Agreed. And I've heard a lot of people on the board talking about people who want to convert you - no matter what. And that would be a tough place to live.

@RavenCT YES!!!

Yes, I did...I simply couldn't take any more! But, I find there are religious people everywhere, just not the same with their immersion into it...if that makes any sense! Some people seemed to just live their religion, where others go around promoting their religion. I am fine with the former, it is the second kind, that goes against my grain!

not because of it but I was relieved when i left Alabama

I live in a small town in a rural county. I do not like it but I am not moving because my minor children are here. It is a very conservative area, but I think I make it worse because I probably stereo-type people here too much. Anyway, it is helping me in liking my own company more, and I think liking myself more.

I've lived in Michigan, Ohio, New York, Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina and even Eastern Europe for a short time. I have found the same prejudices everywhere. I have also found goid friends everywhere. I don't think it makes a difference where you are so much as who you are with.

I won't let anybody drive me out of my own hometown regardless of who they think they are. I won't 'run' from them but I might 'run' to something/someone down the road.

Some more comments about this on my post: 'Atheist Refugees'

I would love to live in a more progressive place. Southern Wisconsin is not extremely religious but still very....... content with theirs and other's meager lot in life under the thumb of people like Gov. Scott Walker. They complain to each other but do nothing about it.

Yah, I lived all over southern Wisconsin. I now live in "north central" Wisconsin?" I can't say for sure it is not a change in me, but I found in southern Wisconsin people were more open minded, especially the more urban areas - Madison, Racine and Kenosha.

I want to. I'm stuck in my religious city.

I moved from a very progressive area in NY, to the middle of Florida. And yes - there's a whole lot of holy rollers here. But I had researched before coming here, and knew that.

I came here for the obvious lack of severe winters, and the wildlife. I got what I wanted ! Occasionally there are annoyances - but I just do my thing, try to be kind always, and live my life.

My thoughts for relocating to another country and become an "expat" is strictly for political reason at this point time, but as the political atmosphere continues to morph into a theocratic one, I would most definitely include for religious reasons.

We used to live in a large city, but when our kids were young we moved back to my hometown which is small, rural, and I had forgotten how conservative. We moved back to be closer to family and so the kids would have more freedom growing up. It has had it's good and bad, but now that the kids are a little older, we plan to moved to a larger city with more likeminded people.

I've never found religion to be an issue one way or the other. If you never talk about politics or religion you can skip most conflicts, as long you root for the right teams.

I'm a live and let live type. People can believe whatever they wish as long as they allow me to do the same.

I live in the South and as long as you live in more educated areas (especially university or college towns), it really is not bad at all.

Hahaha, I relocated form the Netherlands to the US and it also appeared to cut of the religious lines, even if they were very thin. It provided me freedom. I went to live in Georgia, in the middle of the Bible Belt. I encounter no problems, but I don't make them either. I have no problems with the fact that a lot of people are religious. I have no bonds or any lines with them, and if they don't want to talk to me, they should not. But I have not experienced that. Cutting my historical bound lines with my previous social surroundings was a relief. I might move in the future, but not for religious reasons, because I don't care about religion, although I care about people, religious or not.

Gert Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Moving is not an option. My kids are adults and have put down roots here, I have one grandchild and one on the way. I see no reason to move. I am in a very conservative area, but my lack of religion doesn't seem to be an issue.

Someday I will move out of the bible belt. In fact, now that I think about it, that needs to be on my requirement for any potential mates - THEY need to be willing to relocate someday.

If my daughter chooses to have children one day, I can see myself moving to wherever she is. Maybe even if she doesn't have children. With the caveat that I would move only if she planned to stay put for a while. (Like me, she also is not afraid of change and just moved to New York after being in Dallas for only three years.)

You jump out of the frying pan, your bound to land in the fire.

I lived in the south and can confirm it can be bad for atheist down there in the Bible belt.
I was constantly getting into shit with Bible thumpers.
I did relocate, but not for those reasons.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20359
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.