Agnostic.com

9 1

Describe the feeling when you left religion.

To help explain how I feel I use Neo from the Matrix as an analogy. I always knew something was wrong with the world. I wasn't satisfied and was searching for the true. Then the time came for me to choose my pill and I picked the red pill. I escaped the Matrix/ religion. At first I was relieved!! I know the truth and I'm free!! But I also went through a period of depression (and still do from time to time) because everything and everyone I know is influenced by religion. It's the only world I know and they're all trapped in there and I'm outside in the real world by myself. I wanted to go back but we can't go back... And I can't force my family and friends to wake up either. Some ppl are just not ready to be unplugged...

bluefairy 6 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

calm, the end of frustration trying to make the beliefs fit into reality, it is not possible.

I read a lot, and I drank a lot. It was a dark few years for me, mainly because I didn't have any friends. I still don't I just got used to it, and my kids grew up, and now they are my friends.

When I left my religion I was totally disgusted with it. It was a feeling of relief like; "I don't have that albatross hanging from my neck anymore." I was free to direct my efforts to trying to make myself happy instead of the effort to please an un-pleasable god. Life was not good but at least there was some hope. It took another three years to get life figured out with the help of David Seabury's -The Art Of Selfishness Now I understand that everything is just as it is supposed to be. And those that don't know that yet, aren't supposed to know it yet.

With me it was a bit of a journey. I started Catholic and then I attended a Catholic High School and during a religion class I started questioning. Then I started learning about other religions and the questions grew and I became spiritual but I still had questions and I became agnostic and finally a became a full blown atheist and I never felt better.

It's a beautiful day, innit.

When you study religions, the conclusion they are just made up is inescapable. That's why Eve eating the apple is evil. To be religious, you must remain ignorant. So I suppose I was insulted.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Yes definitely agree. I always think to myself why I took so long to stop being stupid and then I feel sorry for my friends and family who choose to stay stupid despite being brilliant in their professions

Didn't really "leave" religion. Just quit going to church as soon as I was able to.
I already thought it was a bunch of bullshit already, but was still being forced to
attend mass every single Sunday.
Acknowledging my atheism was a relief. I haven't missed anything about religion.
I'd just as soon all religion just disappeared.

I was fortunate. For me it happened at a very young age. I was maybe 8 or 9 and I refused to go to VBS (Vacation Bible School). My mom (who wasn't overly religious) thought I was just being rebellious, but it was hard for me to explain to her that I didnt believe the voodoo nonsense.

She let me out of going to VBS, but I was still an alterboy and such. All knowing that I didnt believe in this soap opera.

I do not recall any "feelings", just the realization that religions are just nonsense and I can find better things to do with my life.

Wow lucky you... Sometimes I still get depressed although I left 3yrs now...

Sometimes I feel like part of me is missing. I'm not sure what I need now... Sometimes I think about going to a psychologist to figure this out lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.