Agnostic.com

98 14

Atheist = Depressed?

It seems to me that a relevant number of people i this community are depressed and/or suicidal. It seems the percentage over the total exceeds the average overall population. Do you think it’s true? If -like myself- you also believe it to be true, do you think lack of religion or spiritual fulfillment leads to higher chance of depression? Do you think lack of belief in a higher being leads to depression or the other way around?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lucignolo 6 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

98 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Keen Evangelicals and any other avid followers of a creed or even a sports team are provided with a purpose and above all a social scene.Friendships formed and regularly consolidated by activities such as worshipping together, going to the ball game, and in between pursuing those interests through the medium of social media.Political groups also provide this feeling of belonging to a community of like souls who always have somewhere to go where common aims can be pursued amid a them and us outlook.

Shia Muslims do not generally worship at the same sacred sites as Sunni Muslims. Methodists have separate churches to Baptists and Juventus soccer supporters do not frequent the same bars as those who follow A.C.Milan.Man is a social animal but prefers to pursue his or her interests on parallel lines not in a melting pot of common interests save in times of crisis and then only reluctantly.

I've tried being depressed. I'm an atheist. Whenever life works out for me i'm just fine - at times very exited. When life gives me problems I can't solve I may have considerations. When someone really threatens me and I only see hardship I might get depressed. It's in my view nothing to do with religion. At some of my low point I've tried to look toward religion but it never made a difference.

Stig Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

lol... You speak about it as if religion was a medication yo’ve tried on occasions to treat depression. If it was to provide any help, you would have to actually believe for it to provide comfort. You can’t just believe for 2 weeks, than go back to your life.

The thing is that once we’ve taken the red pill there’s no going back. We can’t pretend it’s true.

This post was never to support belief in a lie. There are very good reasons to choose the truth over a comfortable lie. But there might be a small price to pay.

@Lucignolo Well now I know your intent is to ridicule people when they share some of their most difficult times in their life here in this site. It does not get more disrespectful than that. I ill never reply to your posts again.

@Stig That was not my intention. I apologize. I misunderstood the seriousness of your words and didn’t take them as seriously as I should have. My bad

??‍♂️

@Lucignolo OK. Apology accepted.

I think percentages of depression exist across the board in all spectrums. Perhaps people here are more comfortable talking about it, with less of a feeling of having to hide it or feel ashamed about it than they would in other circles.

I'd say Christians have a higher rate of depression because there's more of them. I also think there may be a link between depression and Atheism because we do lack that imaginary crutch that many Christians use. I talked to many Christians who tell me their faith pulls them through bad times. As an atheist, I feel more compelled to try and change the negative, hateful, unjust, selfish, greedy, apathetic dog eat dog world. We all know how near impossible that is to get people to be more enlightened and progressive.

I love your perspective. I also try to make the world a better place.

ps: I was talking in terms of percentages not absolute numbers. ?

I guess 1 advantage that religious people have is that they probably get together & socialize more often than atheists.
man is not meant to live a solitary existence. Einstein said something to that affect.

Valid point!

Religious = Repressed?

lol

I do see some here that, like the population in general, are 'depressed'. Please show any figures that back your assertion that we're any more depressed than the average & possibly just more ready to admit to our feelings/problems than the quite often repressed theists.

[google.com]

[adherents.com]

[forums.osmihelp.org]

This is an article on a study that says the opposite: religious people are more likely to be depressed. the link is not to the actual paper, it’s an article on the paper.

[cbc.ca]

This is a study on 19,775 people from University of Michigan that found religious people feel less depressed:

[friendlyatheist.patheos.com]

@Lucignolo "It is important to keep in mind that suicide is not actively encouraged by any major group or belief system, whether atheist, agnostic or highly religious. Even in nonreligious nations and belief systems in which suicide is considered a moral and viable option, it is an abberation.

Although there is a strong statistically significant correlation linking religious belief and practice to lower levels of suicide, it is not reasonable to use this correlation to broadly generalize about the merits of any particular belief system. Simply put, most people eat food, have families, work or go to school. But only a tiny fraction of any population ever commits suicide. Suicide is a statistical anomaly and is not a generally applicable demographic measure.

Social scientists believe that non-belief in God or lack of religiosity are not causitive factors leading to suicide. Rather, it is likely that religious belief that suicide is wrong is a strong deterrent factor that prevents otherwise suicide-prone individuals from committing suicide.

According to medical research, the factors most predictive of suicide are hopelessness and depression. Clinical depression can be found in all segments of society."

"The researchers noted, however, that belief in God didn’t make up for having actual human friends."

I think the lack of religious stigma, along with a common acceptance of the right of the individual to make such choices, along with the willingness to admit to depression & suicidal ideation more freely, skews these results.
& I have to admit, I really am not sure what the term 'spiritual fulfillment' even means.

Perhaps the stigma of admitting having depression is greater when you have an almighty savior looking after you.
It's like saying he's not enough.

^^This is what I was looking for. TY

It is a question that would make a good research topic. There is definitely protection from depression when we deny more negative realities. It is proven in breast cancer survivors.

Yet, there is strong evidence (yes actual research @evidentialist) that drug induced mystical experiences can reduce depression.

Evidence is so strong that there are legal clinics dedicated to the administration of these therapies.

That proves nothing about the existence of god. It does prove that mystical experiences, such as the ones that religious people experience, can help tremendously in curing depression.

(Ketamine, psilocybin, LSD... Go figure)

@Lucignolo When I was a believer, I had what I thought was a mystical experience. Since then, I've had what I consider peak experiences. I was thrown-off for a bit by your use of the term "mystical".
[psychologytoday.com]

I'm hoping to sign up for one of the clinical drug studies on depression using psilocybin or LSD.

I think Atheists living in a world full of Theists is the cause of depression. I've heard this same argument about gay people having a higher suicide rate but what people fail to acknowledge is that people treat gays and atheists with contempt. It's not that atheism is depressing its a feeling of anxiety and seclusion that pushes us towards those feelings

Amazing contribution. Thanks for sharing man

Some people feel the need to have some supreme being to fall back on. But many others find freedom from religion quite liberating.I haven't seen any reason to believe that atheists are any more depressed or unhappy as a group than any other groups.

In the groups I hang out on here, there are actually many who are happy. These people are often very funny and clever 🙂 They don't seem depressed at all 🙂

Glad to hear that!!

I don't believe that, at all.
Believing in "gods" is nothing more than another mental illness.
I don't believe that atheists have a higher incidence of mental illness, or depression. I think the difference is just that we tend to be more open about it. Whereas the believers just lapse into denial, and go on and on about their religious beliefs.

What are you basing this on?

Like I wrote: my own personal impression. I also wrote, “do you think it’s true?”. Can’t be more cautious than that.

I think I was very clear

No, I don't think that religion has anything to do with depression. Being delusional and oblivious to your or the worlds problems might help,mind you.
I happen to think that being enlightened and proactive ,gives me a better chance at controlling my environment and solving problems.
I like to think that I have some control of my future!

I've read that nonbelievers tend to have higher IQs than believers. I have also read that with a high IQ, comes a higher rate of depression and such. If these conditions are true then it seems to me that nonbelievers would naturally have a higher rate of depression/anxiety, etc.

I believe that there needs to be warnings before teaching someone about atheism for sure. It took me a long time to go from atheist to being ok with not being here for a reason. I didn't have anyone to talk to about this, YouTube wasn't as big as it is now so all I had were books and whatever material I found by mistake, probably a different situation now

Forgot to mention that reading Buddhist teachings and experiencing the freeing effect of relinquishing unnecessary physical pleasures has greatly changed my outlook on life. I still get depressed thinking about the fact that if religion is real, this is all some sick joke that I never got a choice about participating in, or its just all an empty void. I take what solace I can when looking up a the night sky and realising the privilege of having at least some clue what I'm looking at

I suspect that most belivers are not likely to admit to any "defect" as this would reflect poorly on their perfect deity.

I think you might be right, not sure if it's just connected to religion or a World view in general. We tend to see things in a more cynical way, or just less positive and hopeful about the future maybe?

I was depressed and far more mentally unstable when I was religious. After ten years in an abusive marriage, I was literally going crazy. I'm seriously depressed now but I'm on the mend. It's really hard when your whole life has been based on something that you've come to realize is not true. I have hope for the future but it's been a long hard transition that isn't over yet.

I'd love to know where you are deriving your statistical data from? Statements like that are pretty inflammatory. Maybe if you feel there is depression amongst people look at the handle average of those who are depressed. It is on average 50% given the time.of year depression goes up to season depressive disorder.... Seems like a pretty normal group if you keep the popualtiknas whole's statistical data.... I am a data analyst so I might just needed off in you but man those dealing with it are already feeling like crap ... Makes no sense to take their lack of religion as a possible reason for it. "Nearly 50 percent of all people diagnosed with depression are also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. It's estimated that 15 percent of the adult population will experience depression at some point in their lifetime."Aug 22, 2018 verywell mind.

Sorry about the typos...uuuggg

@Tearosepetals I provided many articles and links. Just look at the comments. I found many, many articles and studies. Here’s is a significant example.

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It’s a review based on two systematic reviews. Total articles reviewed were 444. 178 of which were methodologically rigorous studies. 61% of studies found atheists are more likely to be depressed vs 6%. Atheists also seem more likely to commit suicide.

No doubt @Lucignolo you are also aware of the psychological situation known as "follies au deux" that of course progresses through to "follies en masse"?
Those afflicted similar to people with cognitive dissonance cannot see their follies and will frequently also project on to others or refuse to acknowledge reality.
This was very prevalent 200+ years ago here in Australia. White migrants were criminals frequently guilty of nothing more than stealing a loaf of bread. Now think carefully "who in the general population had the greatest incumbrence in being able to sustain themselves?" - I suggest the mentally deficient and challenged. I had never seen so many large mental institutions as I did when I first came to Australia...the UK didn't need them, they had been shipped out 200 years previously. Australia is possibly still one fertile ground for religiosity not just from modern evangelicals but also the traditional pedophilic Catholics, Anglicans and Scottish "Proddy Dogs".

There is an old very practical Yorkshire saying "T'hole worlds gone mad except for me an thee, and I'm not to sure about thee!" Are you positive?

I feel like I have to be careful when I say I am an atheist as not to offend the people in my physical circles. Being an atheist in a far off suburb of NYC sometimes makes me feel like I've been shot into outer space without any equipment, like I don't really belong anywhere. So glad to find this group!

JZBEE Level 4 Oct 27, 2018

Not depressed, it makes me feel free. Free to feel how ever I want.

Same here

No, I don't think atheist equals depressed. It has to do with genetics or environment you live in. I did think about suicide when I was younger. Which was caused by religious bs and I'm glad I got over it.

Sorry, you were in such a bad place. I am happy to know you got over it You are right in that being an atheist does not equal depression. It is a wide group of people with different characteristics I am aware of the theories of how depression happens on many levels. I used to be a psychologist.

@alanalorie Thank you for those kind words.

I think it poses a challenge for people to deal with their mortality when they first lose their faith, but I don't think it has led to a significant increase on mental disorders.
There's a good chance that secular people are more likely to seek out therapy and counseling rather than rely on their faith or pastor to aid their mental illness leading to a higher rate of diagnosis and discussion (similar to the trend seen over the past few decades).
As for the mortality part I mentioned, here's a video highlighting a lot of the beauty that can be seen in science called "you want a physicist to speak at your funeral".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206336
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.