Agnostic.com

32 1

What wildlife do you commonly see where you live?

For me it's Hares pheasants and the occasion fox

diabhal 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mormons, Witnesses, Baptists, rabbits, hawks, coyotes, road runners, and kids.

I own 96 acres in Texas. 72 are enrolled in a permanent conservation easement so no one can come along and plow it up for exploitation. I have deer, coons, coyote, all kinds of snakes, horned lizard (horny toads) possum, rabbits, barn owls, hawks, all kinds of birds. I have the best ecosystem in the county and I pursue and prosecute poachers!! It's a wild life refuge, of sorts. I have some university students doing research on my land. I'm not in charge of them but I volunteer the site. I ought to try and make an actual count of the species on the place as is straddles 3 eco-systems. I bet I could count two hundred animal species if I did a legit study.

Drunk teenages, and those annoying teenages boys who drive very loud cars 😉 Actual animals here in this city.. nothing special.. sparrows, seagulls, those little Australian parrots that are always in pairs. Some stray cats. Go into the bush at night you could see a Kiwi. Go down to the south lsland you can see my favourite New Zealand bird the Kea. Cheeky cute and green. Will eat your car. New Zealand in lame for cool wildlife 😟
We don't even get squirrels 😟 Its why I get so excited I go overseas and get to see one.

I forgot to add, plenty of sheep, and if you drive into the country a bit some hawks. If you are really lucky you will see some hobbits 😉

Sacha Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

I live in a rural area of central Texas close to a lake. I see lots of wildlife in my area. Deer, coyotes, turkey, fox, armadillo, squirrels, skunks, opossum, rabbits, roadrunners, numerous snake species, numerous bird species (including my favorite hummingbirds). There are cougars reported in my area but I have never seen on. I am a camper, naturalist, conservationist, environmentalist and I enjoy being in nature and wilderness.

Coyotes, jackrabbits, possums, cats, dogs, squirrels, birds of all types, rat snakes, cotton mouths, green tree snakes, road runners.....

I have only 1/2 acre - but it's heavily wooded, and provides homes for lots of critters - plus I'm near much wilderness, which I roam in often !

Red-tail and red shoulder hawks, eagles, owls, corvids, ibis, herons, egrets, cormorants, flamingos,pelicans, sea gulls, wood storks, sandhill cranes, pigeons, vultures, doves, wrens, black and white crowned night herons, kingfishers, turkeys, lots more birds ...

Squirrels, opossums, armadillos, skunks, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, bats, various rodents, foxes, deer, bears, wild horses, wild buffalo, river otters, wild boar, feral pigs, feral cats, rabbits, wild rhesus monkeys, nutria.

Alligators, snakes of all kinds, lizards, geckos, anoles, assorted frogs, turtles of all kinds,

Abundant, and highly varied insects and spiders.

And occasional interesting - but invasive species. Lots of critters like Florida's weather !

And any of these who happen to visit, are more than welcome, and why I moved here !

yes! that's the spirit 🙂

I notice that most people just report "wildlife" as birds and mammals. As an entomologist and all-round naturalist I see thousands of species - too many to list ... and a few birds and mammals 😀

yes, of course there is a plethora of animals; most of which i can't specify 🙂

@walklightly even in winter it's fairly easy to find insects on mild days - winter gnats, hibernating cluster flies and blow flies, spiders and woodlice. With Spring coming soon I'm itching to see the first butterfly and bee 🙂

@ChrisR, here it's more towards autumn now, but even in winter i am surrounded by more critters than i could throw a flip-flop at - very mild weather. crickets too 😉

I live on a cove; very often there is a nest of deer across from me. There is also a family of turkeys that parade around the rim of the cove in late summer when the little turkettes need the lay of the land

Whenever we see turkey crossing the road I'm all "Wait! There's little ones coming too". More often true than not, And they so darn cute.

I live in a city -- Tampa, Florida -- but a regularly see opossums, raccoons, squirrels, an occasional armadillo. and many different bird species -- from hawks and eagles, to herons and egrets, sand hill \cranes, ibises, cardinals, blue jays, doves, and many more. Have seen bobcats and coyotes.

Rabbits, deer, rabbits, squirrels, rabbits, birds, rabbits, skunks, rabbits, possums and mostly rabbits.

I have been living here for 15 yr.s and so far; squirrels, possums, skunks rabbits, turkey buzzard, red tail hawk, fox, coyote, deer, ground hog, geese, crows, robins, cardinals, blue jays, and others fowl I don't know the names of.

magpie larks, magpies, butcherbirds, galahs, red-browed finches, fairy wrens, various pigeons, brown honeyeaters, lewin's honeyeaters, crows, currawongs, herons, ibises, bush turkeys, pythons, tree snakes, tree frogs, cane toads, red-bellied black snake, brown snake, water dragons, microbats, swallows, swamp hens, possums, wallabies, koalas, echidnas, bush rats, white, yellow, orange-brown & turquoise butterflies, fire ants, jumping ants, black ants, hornets, paper wasps ... & once a platypus!

Deer mostly, lots of squirrels, crows, and the occasional bear.

Deer, elk, big horned sheep, moose, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, fox, rabbits, porcupines, woodchuck, beavers, antelope, rocky mountain goat, bear, heron, geese, ducks, owls, hawks, eagles, grouse, pheasant, chukar, quail, wild turkey, cranes, egrets, falcons, rock chucks, rattle snakes....that may be all I can think of at the moment! No wait! Add skunks, raccoons, badgers, bats.

Deer, woodchucks, various birds (including sparrows, black-capped chickadees, cardinals, bluejays, mourning doves, blackbirds, turkeys, ducks, and geese), opossums, chupacabras, black bears, squirrels, chipmunks, foxes, moose (less right here but in the general area), wolves (though I've never actually seen one), garter snakes, bats, skunks…

@diabhal I think the answer to that is 42. 🙂

A selection of small birds. A large number of wood pidgeons and collared doves. Foxes - though more often heard than seen, however seeing them is a bonus. The occasionan red deer or muntjak (with their distinctive, protruding teeth)

Plenty of birds including hedge sparrows, wrens, finches, a few warblers, buzzards and Red Kite.
We also have noticeably fewer starlings recently and we haven't heard a cuckoo for several years now.

And pigeons. Lots of pigeons.

Ground animals we have squirrels (pesky grey colonial invaders!) hedgehogs, rabbits, some voles living by the pond , field mice and a few rats.

In the vicinity we have plenty of deer, roe and muntjac, badgers, stoats and weasels.

And a puma. But that is unconfirmed, although I have seen it. Nearly ran the bloody thing over.
And yes - I could be mistaken or crazy.

In my yard mostly frogs birds and reptiles and bats at night, pademelons across the road an occasional koala in the trees outside, wallabies on the beach, lots of dolphins and whales.

Sparrows, pigeons, foxes, hedgehogs. sparrow hawk, seagulls. Nothing enough to start wildlife safaris round here.

Deer, rabbits, raccoons, fox, coyote, opossum, skunk, turkeys, squirrels.

Chavs they make hell of a mess of the streets !!

I live in an area of older suburbia, of 50' or 100' wide lots, near the original Pfizer and Electric Boat, and we are absolutely infested with coyotes, eating all small pets! There are tons of deer here too, but coyotes prefer nsmaller stuff. The good news is, waaay less mice!

Unfortunately, the only wild life I see here are people and a fat squirrel that frequents my trees and yard. Although one night coming home in the early hours of the morning I found a family of four racoons waiting for me on my lawn. I did live where once in a while you were treated to an alligator. One used to appear every day at noon to sun himself. Another time while driving a few blocks from my home I passed a large crew of people holding up and taping up a huge monster of an alligator most probably going to relocate him or her. Then there were always the ducks. Lots of egrets. Now, I'm told there are pythons galore.
Who knows what surprises climate change will bring.

raccoons, lots of them. My area is fairly urban.

I just moved from Texas to New Jersey.

1. The deer here are huge, like I remember from my childhood in Indiana.
  2. I've seen quite a few fox.

I've only been here a month though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.