Agnostic.com

12 4

Does anyone here listen to Beethoven? I listen now and again it's like story telling with instruments.

M121 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tried at a couple of times but it just wasn't my sound I wanted to hear.

My father had Beethoven's sixth symphony on three 12 inch 78 rpm records way back in the 1950s. That's six sides to fit the entire symphony on and six 'needles' to play it all. I use to sit in a corner somewhere in our old house with a rolled up newspaper and 'trumpet' the entire thing from memory.

It was easy to remember it all as my father use to play that symphony at least once a week. I now have two different recordings of it in my CD collection.

Hi Tomaf. I can only think of three at the moment S Bach. L Beethoven J Brahms. But please don't include Bartok. But the modern American S Barber is OK.

Incredibly eclectic music lover but yes Beethoven is among the ones I like.

If you like a bit of silliness, you might enjoy this.

Very enjoyable

I grew up with all kinds of music - classical being some of it. Not only do I listen to Beethoven, and others, I've been fortunate to sing in choruses that did many classical works - Beethoven's 9th Symphony being one of them. A favorite of mine - I never forget all the words in German ...

Had to sing "Ode to Joy" in German. Thank goodness I was in the back row because I didn't get spit on. (Those words are hard!). I still list it as the hardest to sing language.

Ode to Joy is also difficult to sing because of the high range that Beethoven required the singers to go up to and maintain. I read somewhere that he was profoundly deaf by the time he wrote the ninth.

@Skyfacer And I was a first soprano! I remember our college professor bringing in a ringer (who was in his church choir) for the solo and she couldn't nail it either. (We did not laugh to our credit but he was losing his mind).

@Skyfacer I performed the Soprano Solo with orchestra once upon a time. It was a great experience.

Daily, but mostly modern and even metal renditions.

I listen to classical music....Beethoven included.

Compared to the crap that is today’s music it is like a breath of fresh air for the soul

He's one of my all-time favorite composers. I think I have all of his works. I've read several of his biographies, and I had the opportunity to visit his house in Bonn Germany several years ago. It was an almost spiritual experience. It was my dream many years ago to learn to play the third movement of his Moonlight Sonata. Alas, I've stopped playing the piano of late.

I cannot live without classical music. My tastes vary from day to day but I'm always up for Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Debussy. The chorus from the Verdi Requiem is astounding. I love Spanish classical music - Rodrigo, Manuel daFalla - etc. Domingo singing Zarzuelas. Stravinsky "The Rite of Spring." Bernstein's "Kaddish." "Songs of the Auvergne" Great performances by pianists, singers, violinists. Music for me is highly spiritual and feeds me every day.

Yes, among a few others whose music sense moves me.

Love Beethoven. Ninth Symphony makes life worth living.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.