Agnostic.com

16 1

Who are you reading?

Who are your current, favorite authors and what genre are they?

ScientistV 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am reading mummy dearest a true storey about an evil mum. I read about serial killers, crime, death camps etc. my favourite book so far is this one. I recommend it as religion or mistreatment because of religion is the big driving force behind this man.

The pic is blurry, could you say what the ISBN# is? (Mummy Dearest Ida popular horror theme and not sure if it might get changed to American English or British English If in the States.)

whats an ISBN, please? mother dearest it could be lol but it's about the Knorr family in America

I’ve a Hitchens book next to my bed, haven’t opened beyond preface yet. Mortality

Redemption Ark by Alistair Reynolds

I lean toward Science Fiction, but I've been known to read some of the classics too.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

At the moment, I'm concentrating on two books: one audio and one on my iPad.

The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior Is Almost Always Good Politics by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith is an audiobook narrated by Johnny Heller. An excellent and thought-provoking look at the game of world politics and the things that really separate democrats and autocrats and what each type of leader must do to remain in power.

Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Concluded by Lewis Carroll together form a 600+ page borefest from the author who gave the world the remarkable Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. It has its moments, and some laugh out loud humor, but these are too far spaced to redeem this oft confusing and bizarre book from an otherwise excellent author.

Carroll is quite a fun one, analytically though. Does he implement mathematic theory in those titles as well or was he being “serious” and writing “adult literature”?

@ScientistV It was fun in spots, but was nowhere near the level of his earlier books. Carroll had studied for the ministry at one point in his life, something which is not obvious in his two most famous works, but in this one he attempts to mix science, philosophy, mathematics, politics, and fantasy; all wrapped up in knock the reader over the head evangelical sermonizing. His intent was to keep an eye toward maintaining the interest of both kids and adults simultaneously. The main protagonist continually crosses between the adult world of cares and concerns, and a fantasy world of fairies. It's a very ambitious project that is too long, too poorly executed, and who needs all the preaching?

Lately I read agnostic.org🙂

Jamaican me crazy

William Forschen, Rally Cry

Richard Dawkins.

Just finished Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" and a current si-fi book by an author named Jennifer Foehner titled "Remanence" while on my vacation a week ago. Had meant to read "Catcher" for years but finally got around to it.

Just started a new book by Victoria Schwab titled "A Gathering of Shadows", that is the second of three she has in a series. Read the first one about a year ago. Am also (slowly - is it's not light reading) a book on the fall of the Ottoman Empire by a historian named Sean McMeekin.

Did you like Catcher in the Rye...?

@ScientistV - Catcher in the Rye was interesting, but I'm not sure that I understand why some consider it to be a 'must read' 20th Century American novel. It's very stream of consciousness & herky-jerky. Similar in some ways to Kerouac's On the Road in that regard - if you have read read that as a point of comparison.

Oh I read Catcher, I hated it though. @KurtZeller

Right now am reading "To Protect and To Serve" - author is retired police chief of Seattle, Washington. He outlines all the problems with American policing - the racism, sexism, classism, homophobia - extremely rare for a retired police chief, a rich white straight man, to admit to all these terrible problems and to urge citizens to take action.

SKH78 Level 8 Feb 3, 2018

Oh, nice find!

I'm currently reading "The Future of the Mind" by Michio Kaku and "An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments" by Ali Almossawi.

Dawkins/Non-fiction science. James Patterson/ mystery-crime. George Orwell/ science fiction - political.

Orwell never gets old

Orwell only seems to get more accurate with time, just that “sides” and titles switched. Power hungry apparently always leads down the same road.

At the moment, I'm reading The Essex Serpent, by Sarah Perry. I'm not sure what genre it should be placed in: Victorian gothic magical realism, perhaps. [theguardian.com]

Jnei Level 8 Feb 3, 2018

Believe it or not, I'm reading me at the moment. Getting ready for a major rewrite of one of my novels, Ancient Whispers from Tomorrow. When I'm in this mode, I can't afford to read other material. Well, except for the various threads in which I participate, but I do that/this to break from the 'grind'. I will be in this condition for probably the next 4 to 6 months.

I’ve done that in my hobby writing, to keep consistency in more than tonality but all the minutiae.

In the cult hit The Tick they kept a visual model of the “world” so that when something was done by a super villain in one episode it was never erased without cause— the moon having writing on it, for one.

Almost always fantasy, occasionally a sci-fi. Currently reading David Dalgleish and Janny Wurtz. Fave authors Douglas Adams, Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurtz.

Can’t go wrong with D. Adams.

Patricia Cornwall - Scarpetta Series (Mystery)
Sara Paretski - VI Warschoski Series (Mystery)
Joe Hill - N0SFERA2

*Joe Hill is horror/thriller

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.