Agnostic.com

13 8

ARE YOU GRATEFUL

I know I am. I have a home, transportation, food, medicine, and everything I need to live a good life. My wife, and children, and grandchildren are healthy. I live in a free nation. Maybe there are things I could complain about, but it is trivial compared to what I have.

Yes I am grateful🙂

Leutrelle 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After visiting isolated areas of third world countries, it is difficult for me to see others take everything we have for granted, especially the basics.

Clean water, shelter, food, beds....

It pains me when people complain about everything, when I have seen those without complain about NOTHING.

grateful for every opportunity of every moment of my life - yes.

I am grateful to my parents that I am here. I am grateful to my sister that she is who she is and my best friend. I am grateful to my employer that we have a mutual understanding that I bust my butt for them and they provide pay and other benefits so I can keep what I got. I'm grateful to my ex that we produced amazing kids and didn't mess them up too bad. You don't have to be grateful to a who, you just have to be aware that you're pretty well off compared to others. You didn't do anything to "earn" being born in the first world, but I'm damn happy that I was.

Very well done🙂

@Leutrelle thank you!

I am dubiously grateful. Yes, I greatly appreciate having saved years of living funds, a paid for home, challenging and rewarding hobbies and job; health insurance, health, car, etc. but I realize the continuation of these circumstance are all tentative and will end. A single event (for example a stroke) would likely initiate a cascade failure that would usurp my standard of living and quickly liquidate all I have managed to acquire. I also spend a great deal of time researching the history and science of the ecological and economic practices and foresee a bleak future we will likely be leaving our children. Am I grateful I am living now and have no offspring doomed to inherit the mess we will be leaving them? No. I find that selfish and deplorable. I could go on about how the "tax break (for the wealthy)" will doom our youth (and soon elderly as social security and Medicaid will be likely be attacked to pay for the reduced taxes for the top 1%) or how our reliance on fossil fuels have initiated many positive feedback loops that have set our paths to a cataclysmic climate. As for living in a free nation, If you are "lucky?" enough to be talking about the U.S., the Washington post (Dec 21 2011) published "10 reasons the U.S is no longer the land of the free." Prosperity.com 2018 now ranks the US as 18th in personal freedom.

I agree with @Paul4747 in that I have no-one to be grateful too, life has highs and lows, I am mostly happy at the moment as I seem to be at a high part, things smooth, some problems but have had much worse. It is all relative of course, compared to 80% of the planet I am in paradise, compared to 10% of the global population I am one of the unwashed poor.

I am happy for the life I had lived and for the life still to live I am good to go. I am grateful to Fate... whatever that is. Because I had been lucky, very lucky and can't explain the many ways fortune has smiled to me.

I’m satisfied. Grateful? To whom or what?

Grateful for the life I enjoy.

Grateful to what or whom?@Leutrelle

@GatovicoloGrateful FOR, not to

To whom would I be grateful, though?

I mean, I was lucky enough to be born in the United States of the late 20th century, not to die of any communicable diseases or accidents, not to kill myself in any of the stupid things that I did in my life (I took many avoidable risks and still do, but when I was 19- crap, was I ever an idiot when I was 19)... it happened that I injured my leg in basic training pre-9/11 and did not get a chance to be killed in the idiotic second Iraq war... or for that matter in the fully justifies war against Al Qaeda.

By luck I made a phone call at the right moment and landed a good job, which turned into a well-paid career. I married... the wrong person, as it turned out, but I have a lovely daughter, so there's that compensation.

My point is that none of this was intentional beyond the fact that I made certain plans which either did or didn't work out. The universe had no plan for me. I'm grateful to the people who love me for being there. Other than that...

No. There's no point in saying I'm grateful. I'm just lucky and happy.

I'm grateful to be alive, and on February 14th, I will have stayed out of the impatient hospital for 2 years exactly.

that is a great success!

I'm celebrating.

Yes. An "attitude of gratitude" makes one rich ! We can choose to constantly want, covet, envy, everything we don't have, or most of us can look around and realize we're surrounded with pretty much everything we need !

We in the first world are incredibly lucky.

Thanks for the science bit🙂

I am with you friend.

Finally, someone has said it!

@Stevil you know how to "tell it like it is"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.