Agnostic.com

42 20

Why do I hate it when a man sexualize my insights/intelligence/etc?

Was prepared to go on a date with this man I connected on POF today but had to call it off for multiple reasons but one that stuck out like a sore thumb was when he sexually compliments my growth,my insights and my opinions on certain important subjects.

He said "keep talking that stuff, it's sexy" or "It's a turn on" when I express my atheist/non-religious views. It's annoying. If I was a male would he still say those things?

I hate when some men idolize and sexualize my mind/thoughts.

Say whatever you want about my body, my face but my mind is such a sacred place that deserves understanding, love and respect.

taemaria27 5 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Men will be men. Don't look for a unicorn when you date. Men and women think differently. There is a Russian adage: Men love with their eyes, women with their ears. Find a man who will love you both ways and who will satisfy your ears with intelligent, erudite and funny conversation. A man is interested because he finds you sexy. He will stay for the long run when he also loves you with his ears. Both are required.

Please forgive me for being a little dumb here but i dont get it. Coming of age in the 70s when womens lib was in full swing we got " love me for my mind not just my body ". Women go on about not objectifying their bodies sexualy. Our bodies are pretty much what we are born with and although we can work out etc. short of cosmetic surgery. What you see is what you get. However we can choose which books we read, things we study and how we express ourselves. Surely a guy finding that sexy is a good thing? Finding someone who shares your views and challenges you intellectually is a goal that most people aspire to. To find someone that is turned on by this would IMHO be a plus or am I just thick? Oh and yes of course he would not say this to a guy but hes not dating a guy hes dating, or trying to, date you

Intelligence is sexy and is subjective to sexual orientation. There's a word for someone who has a fondness for intelligence, sapiophile. To those who aren't sexually oriented to one another the fondness is still present, but the sexual component is not present.

I'm sorry if you hate the adulation. Attractiveness and understanding, love, and respect aren't always mutually exclusive.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

However the brain? You biggest sexual organ. (But I agree this was a creeper).

I guess he was just bringing you back to his main agenda 🙂

Such a pity lass.

A turn on for me is someone who can challenge me into thinking higher. In my past relationships it was usually left to me to ponder things and for me it would be nice to be challenged.

Sounds like he was objectifying you which is so annoying.

Some men they do not see the brain and the soul they only see the body. throw him in the garbage.

While I find intelligence to be an attractive feature, and its lack not only a detriment, but a deterent, it is certainly not sexual in any way.

I can see why you took offense, and I am sorry you went through that.

He's a creep though I do find intelligence attractive.

I'll admit one of the reasons I love my boyfriend is because he's intelligent, but that isn't the only thing. It also is less about that and that he's someone I actually enjoy spending time with. Men and women have to listen to each other rather than just find an aspect about that person that makes them worthy of screwing. A mind does need understanding, love and respect as you say.

For me, intelligence is an attractive quality in both men and women. One of the main reasons I like Alanis Morissette so much is that she's intelligent and a real thinker, and it comes through in her music.

Except for " isn`t it ironic " which ironically enough contains no irony whatsoever.:-0

@273kelvin lol -- that is true. But everybody deserves to be excused for an occasional slip 🙂

@MST3K 10.00 spoons when what you need is a knife. (Who has 10 00 spoons? a kleptomaniac that works in a spoon factory?) Now if you found out weeks later that a spoon would have done THATS IRONIC. A traffic jam when youre already late is not ironic, it`s just bloody annoying. Now if you were late for a town planning meeting to try and combat traffic congestion......?

@273kelvin lol 🙂 Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, having heard all her other songs, I think she's pretty intelligent and insightful overall.

I have never quite understood the fetishization of largely impersonal traits. Race, Weight, So tall, not so tall, Blonds etc.
No one thing is going to maintain more than a moment of consideration for me much less interest.
I can understand not being pleased with being someone's "type".

The is awkward. Your sex shapes your sense of being and philosophy. I don't know precisely what is a turn on for you sharing your thoughts with another person. Did he misjudge your intent?

In my other country we call them "pajeros"....

It looks like sapiosexuals turn you off? If so, maybe put that on your POF profile?

I don't know what to tell you. But what do you think should be an appropriate reaction from his part?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20799
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.