Agnostic.com

12 1

For the writers. How much religion has found its way into your work?

• 6 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
Gohan 7 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My novel KYLIE'S HEEL focuses on two sisters, one an atheist, the other a born-again Christian. When the son of the first goes on a health mission to Africa with the other's group, the plot thickens. Humanist Press published it.

Sooz Level 6 Apr 2, 2018

My current screen play borrows heavily from Judeo-Christian Abrahamic dogma but then I stood it all right on it's ear, which is why it's taking me years to work out the details and make it all work right and tell a compelling story. But other times not at all.

Lots. It's in almost all the fiction I've written. I try not to be overtly hostile to it.

I enjoy writing religious ideas and concepts, also I enjoy using religious words and imagery, not specific religions, but prophets, monks, blasphemous sceptics, I find them compelling.

I use religious and spiritual metaphors all the time. Done right, they can be incredibly powerful and evocative.

We priests of the invisible
We prophets of the Muse
Our baptismal ink is visible
In the scintillating hues
Of a penetrating vision
That transcends the written world...

(I don't always "do it right": I'm rarely powerful or evocative in my writing...but everyone needs goals, no?)

In one of my novels I invented one specifically derived from the main thrust of the story and used as a literary device -- like plot glue. In another there are some beliefs hinted at, but not explored. Nowhere have I used anything like earthly religions, though I have written several short stories along paranormal lines. So, I voted 'Some', even though I don't think what I spelled out here was what you had in mind.

If you are honest to your craft and your craft not involve writing about an utopia absent of religion... I see why not. It is in your agenda. What do you want to write about? Why? Any beef underline?

My first novel takes a bit of a jab at evangelicals. A lot of my blogging is very anti-theist and anti-religion.

You write to your audience, sometimes I build characters who are relatable to them so they can be pulled in, but it does feel shallow to have to.

My novel, Playground of the Vain, is set in a very mono-theistic society - underground elves who worship a goddess called Udyth.

In fact, Udyth actually speaks - but like most religious revelations, her words are heard by a single, devout believer (one of her high priestesses), and not witnessed by any other person. I leave it ... well ... 'undeclared' whether the goddess has truly spoken, or whether very reverent Tryska imagined it. Certainly she, herself, believes she heard the voice of her goddess.

My 'great temple of Udyth' is also a seething pit of corruption, self-serving manipulation, lies, treachery and barbarity - which, perhaps, is an indication of my own views on religious faith!

If its my journal quite a bit- my other stuff morw along the lines of being the only one you know around and lonelyness

Some of the minor characters in my barely-published novel are religious. The main ones aren't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.