Agnostic.com

112 13

Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

I think of myself as a pretty strong person, but lately I have felt like I need a really good cry. I start getting weepy listening to the news, watching a romantic movie, videos of animals, ridiculous stuff .....I keep fighting it because I hate feeling weak. I don’t think crying is a weakness in anyone else but for some reason it is for me. ?

Alliegirl 7 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are neither weak nor strong because you cry.

Crying in and of itself is an act of weakness, but the idea that strong people don't cry is not only flawed it's inherently wrong. The strongest materials in the world have some "give" and are not perfectly rigid. The ability of material to be strong when necessary and weak at the same time is the defining characteristic of its strength. People in this aspect are the same, if you can allow yourself to understand and be weak at times you can be stronger at others.

An act of weakness does not make someone a weak person, often the act makes them stronger.

Crying shows neither weakness nor strength, just that we are human. I also see it as a great stress reliever.

It's a sign of being human.

Crying is normal. It's neither weak or strong.

This !

Honestly, yes. This is not to say, however, that the weakness is needed at times to release the emotional build up we allow to accumulate over time. Cry. Grieve. Then know that you are ready to stand again.

Maybe it's different for a guy? I cry at stupid things, movies, stories, romance. I think it's because i identify with the situation. Also. I tend towards empathy.

Wow you're level 4 already and we started on the same day.

Very good point.

Crying can definitely offer emotional relief. So i see it as a strength, admitting you have emotions is important

I feel that crying is neither a weakness or a strength. But admitting that you cry could be considered a strength.

Tough question! When I was younger I thought only weak people cry. As I get older (I'm 40) I find myself becoming more sensitive to the world around me... and yes this big hairy guy cries... although I do it when I'm by myself. A song will on the radio and make me think of my grandpa and I'll cry on my way to work. Someone will share a post that is touching and I'll cry.

Point is it's ok to cry.

Good for you! Strong men know what crying means!

Crying is an emotion. I seldom cry because it is hard for me to show emotions. Cry if you need to. Do not think that crying is weak or that it makes you weak. Sometimes we just need a good cry.

I cry at some commercials, ffs. You're lucky you are in touch with your emotions, some people can't cry and wish they could.

That just jogged my memory, there is a condition where a person cannot cry. I am sure glad that is not I...

Releasing emotions over empathy or actual personal distress is just a common human emotion.

Deliberately using tears when one is not getting things they want, or losing an argument or confronted with a mistake? That is childish and manipulative and I really want nothing to do with a person that does this.

I do not need emotional blackmail in my life.

It occurred to me as I read your post, that people who want something from us and cry when we refuse, may be crying because they exposed their vulnerability and now feel embarrassed, about asking for something we cannot give? Interesting.

Only the vulnerable move among the mysteries.

The sign of an empathetic person.

It could be either or neither.

However, if it is increasing a lot and you aren't sure why, then it could potentially be a hormonal shift. If it is that, then the will be other symptoms. Just be aware of what you are feeling, keep a journal, and track what's going on after the fact.

Strength. It requires a lot of emotional awareness in order to allow yourself to cry

Can be both.
Crying when a situation demands endurance or an effective action is weakness, crying when you need to discharge and the situation allows you to have time without fear of judgement is strength.
And sometimes is just a reaction due to sadness or pain

Possibly a sign of slicing onions?

Crying is necessary. I have a pain inside me I use to get me from day to day but occasionally it stops me in my tracks and I cry and let it out

I say to have a good cry regularly. But you have to be alone to do it right.

ANNNNNDDDD::::
Whenever you are holding someone who is crying KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUTTTT! Just hold them. No patting on the back. Just hold tight.

Do not say ANYTHING. Especially, shit like,"Go ahead, let it all out." and, "Don't cry, it will be alright."

Fuck that! KEEP QUIET AND DON"T MOVE!

Crying is shedding of emotional energy not unlike orgasm. It accounts for the more peaceful state of relaxation 'after a good cry' as the expression goes. It is a mechanism we're born with and a good valve for releasing effects of disappointment or frustration.

Holding-in or blocking that release only makes trouble when it finally does escape; emotional energy doesn't just vanish if we block expression. It builds just as surely and dependably as water behind a dam. When emotional dams fracture, especially after long struggles to buttress them, some devastating things can happen.

Little boys are commonly taught and if necessary abused into practicing such 'holding in' of many emotions that could be released in a healthy, balanced fashion by crying. Cumulatively, it makes no small contribution to the insane amounts of and character of violence so common to males in societies world-wide; some worse than we see here. It is no accident or coincidence that mass murders and serial, destructive psychopathic behaviors are overwhelmingly shown by males.

It's enough to make one cry.

I cry in anger, sadness, loneliness, happiness, frustration, nostalgia, the list goes on..I think crying is more about a release of emotions no matter what the emotion may be..proves you are alive.. resets you..then you pull up your big girl panties and move the fuck on.. ?

Crying is a sign of emotions, especially sorrow, grief, etc, the arcane British attitude of the " Stiff Upper Lip" is absolute rubbish in my opinion, we should, man, woman or child, show our emotions when ever it suits us for we are just Emotional beings after all, are we not?

There arectwo ways of reacting ....grief or anger ...nothing wrong with tears ...shows you can show emotion

No I don't. How can expressing emotions be a negative.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210275
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.