Agnostic.com

112 13

Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?

I think of myself as a pretty strong person, but lately I have felt like I need a really good cry. I start getting weepy listening to the news, watching a romantic movie, videos of animals, ridiculous stuff .....I keep fighting it because I hate feeling weak. I don’t think crying is a weakness in anyone else but for some reason it is for me. ?

Alliegirl 7 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

112 comments (101 - 112)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a release. When my SO and I were flying from Wyoming to Texas so he could go to one of his doctor's checkup's (long story - motorcycle accident, lots of surgeries, checkups, and moving him back up to WY from TX in between it all), as soon as the plane touched down, he went into a grand mal seizure. We literally went from the plane into an ambulance straight to the ER. Once stabilized, we left by ambulance again to the hospital where his appointment was, and he was admitted there--again. After all that and the check-in, paperwork, phone calls to his parents, my parents, work, getting our bags, and finally able to get a cab to the hotel room (it was 10pm by then), only then when I finally got inside the room I just dropped everything and collapsed and let the floodgates out. Tried to be strong all damn day and I couldn't take it anymore.
I also cry at commercials involving the welfare of animals. It's not a weakness; to me it's a sign that you care and it's a physical release that's good for your body. I always feel better afterward.

I once did the same thing when I was a young mother with 5 children and they got hurt and it was emergency!

I weep(not as much) for my late wife,gone over a year now,but we had 27 years together married,cancer is a very cruel disease,she was diagnosed on our 26th anniversary August 23,2016,and was gone 13 months later......

I am so sorry, I hear others say the same thing about loosing a spouse to cancer! The pain lessens, but the memory remains. My best to you.

If you could just poll babies!

Neither

I went through. Period of my life after traumatic event where I neither laughed or cried. It was an awful period and I think I was just numb for a while. Crying is definitely not a weakness. It’s a physical response to different events and is almost required to get through something. For men, I don’t think crying is a sign of weakness. It’s an acknowledgement of strong emotion.
It’s also a signal to those who love you that you might like to be comforted.

Not weakness nor strength, it's a sign of sensitivity and emotions.

Crying is a normal human response to pain - emotional or physical. Crying is not a weakness, but sometimes some semblance of stoicism is necessary!

Neither. it is a coping mechanism for me. After a cry, I feel better.

I don't think it is weakness or strength. It is just a natural release of emotions and something that you occasionally need to do to maintain your health. I'm no stranger to crying when I'm not doing well. But I do understand thinking it is a weakness for yourself. I think the same for me and try not to do it if I can help it.

Atecc Level 4 Feb 16, 2019

It is a sign I am Furious, standback!

I think it depends on the reason for the cry.

Roley Level 5 Feb 16, 2019

I don't think I've cried since I was seven.

Not sure what that means.

AJ413 Level 3 Nov 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210275
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.