Agnostic.com

26 2

Superbowl Sunday question

Noticed how few men were on a dating site today, then realized it's Superbowl Sunday... It got me wondering if the Atheist/Agnostic crowd has more, less, or the same amount of interest in sports as the general (believing) population. So I'm asking the U.S. guys (only because I know American Football is NOT a big deal anywhere else) : are you on-line today? Are you busy gearing up for the big game?

Kirahere 6 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's kind of disturbing to see all the judgment over people who like sports. The same can be said of anything that anyone else likes to watch or participate in. To each their own. There are people who see movies or theater as equally pointless. It's all just entertainment. It's like the people who say that THEIR sport is the better sport and/or more sophisticated. Or like if someone thinks chess is better because it's a "thinking man's" game. Chess is pretty mathematical and still has a pattern to it. Football has a lot of thinking aspects to it too. There is no sport "better than" the others. Everyone likes what they like.

I'm a big football and basketball fan. I'm also a liberal and an atheist. I've grown use to it being looked down on by many in those groups I've mentioned above. Whatever, I am who I am. When there were the widely reported domestic cases last year involving NFL players, I heard comment after comment about how violent NFL players are. I checked multiple sources and none of them showed that NFL players are charged with domestic violence at a higher rate than the rest of the population.

@Rudy1962 People probably think that because it's just a violent type game, like rugby and hockey. I love when people don't think the same about soccer or their fans when the players are kicking each other on purpose, or when their fans are killing players who score for the wrong team or something like that.

And because I know someone is going to ask me: I've got pizza in the oven (the stromboli already came out), ribs in the fridge, chips on the table, and am going to binge on Star Trek Discovery (could not care less about people I've never met doing battle over a ball).

Hi

I feel the national fixation on professional sports is somewhat embarrassing, but I'll meet with some friends for the food. I generally leave early if the game gets boring.

Think this is hilarious.

I just copy/pasted that onto my FB page - perfect!

I don't even care that the game is on. I have a loathing for pro athletes and their demoralization of men. I often spend Sundays paying more attention to my kids than I do on a normal day. The day pro athletes start to recognize teachers and pay them handsomely for putting them where they are I might watch a game from time to time. The chance of that happening is about the same odds as aliens landing and showing humankind a better way of life.

Why would the athlete have to recognize and pay the teachers? The players don't employ the teachers. Teaching also doesn't bring in billions of dollars in profit every year. It's just not a profitable system model. Players get their fair share based on their credentials and quality of play. You can't blame the players. Blame business. And how do teachers put the athletes where they are? Did someone's math teacher teach him how to throw a football 70 yards? Business doesn't have morals. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. Teachers don't seem to be doing such a great job anyway. Look at all the people who fall for all the lies our politicians tell. It also depends on the kids receptivity of what's going on in the classroom. Society has a bigger part in influencing youth actually. The latest trends. The latest job requirements and expectations of them. And on and on and on.

I will watch it because I want to see who wins. My favorite pro team has been mediocre for a number of years and bad before that. It's not the most important event of the year to me.

I work until 5 pm and then it's all about the game for me!

I don't follow professional sports anymore...

Kids soccer ! Or baseball, basketball and swimming..

Can you tell that I am a grandpa ? Lol

The SB is a waste of time.

The band I play in has an open session (Irish) this afternoon. It is the most important to me thing that I will do today. Do watch a little football for the closest team, when they are on TV. So will be missing the Superbowl.

I’d checked in earlier ..and it looked like a deadzone around here. Thought I’d wait till ‘the game’ started, and see what the women were up to 😀 I’d say a lesser percentage of ‘us’ are deep into sports ..but not many less… I’m not bothering calling my dad today, as he’ll likely be glued to the tube … which is why his two sons aren’t 😉 ..it took an SNL skit from last night to give me a hint which teams were actually playing...

Varn Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

While I don't hate or condemn sports, I do not care about the super bowl outside of entertaining commercials (that I can watch on youtube if the urge came over me).

I am neither a man nor American but as its a holiday here I will be watching the Superbowl. Go Patriots and I can't wait to see Justin Timberlake 🙂

Sacha Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I'm going to be watching the game, but I don't know anything about football. I've been a Jets fan for years.

Kind of a sports fan. I grew up with a father who coached everything but I guess I have found more important things to expend energy on.

America leads the world in sports. The greatest athletes in the world play in the NFL and NBA. The rest of the world is lagging far behind.

gater Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I have never watched or followed team sports. Team sports are what boys play with a ball. Incredibly boring, incredibly illogical inasmuch as when they "win", they do not gain anything tangible. I could never figure out what "glory" actually is.

After all that Crap I said about sleeping it off.... I got recruited by the Bacardi Team. Ain't that some shit?

Both...I love the interaction possible with Facebook (hate the "argument", love the "debate" ) but the TV went on about an hour ago...and I'm watching it now even as I type this!

The combination of athleticism, almost ballet-like moves, and endurance is what makes watching these champions go at it.

And as an agnostic, I'm always saddened when I see players who "point to the sky" after a good play....like a god had something to do with his succeeding? The only sad thing about watching these great athletes.

Something about a football game the Cowboys are not in.

Thats all I know or care to know.

I am more of a Baseball guy, but I do generally watch the superbowl. Even though I don't have a "horse in todays race" I will still enjoy the game, and hope for some stand out comercials.

I could go the rest of my life without hearing the word 'football'. They've taken a child's sport and made a business out of it. Let Rome keep her Colosseum.

Yes I like Football and I will be watching the Super Bowl.

I had a date to watch the game @ a sportsbar. ..she grew up in Philly and we both were thrilled the whole game but shifty comercials

I have not watched the last 3,but I did watch this one and I was suprised.it was really good

Good response, organized sports is just another diversion from reality

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.