Agnostic.com

16 2

How can I find more local friends with more in common?

Description of situation:

People say I have a fabulous personality. I'm invited to many things and when I have time am an enthusiastic participant. Nevertheless, there's room for more personal friends that share some common values like mutual respect and responsible behavior. One woman suggested I check obituaries but that seems really morbid and I don't want to tag after men with one foot in the grave. Others say I should adopt his unhealthy comfort foods if he has money. This is called gold digging and I object to that situation, too. I like to develop independence, and try to work on good things and have good fun. I'm not goody-two shoes and don't claim to be perfect or expect perfection. Nevertheless if an adult is mature, wouldn't a good friend be reasonably responsible?

WarmFluffy 7 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hello WarmFluffy, Welcome to the heathens club? Loved your bio. I'm fairly newly single, about 6 months. Hopefully you'll like it here. There's some great conversations that spring up. Like pretty much everyone on this site you're hours if not days always from me. Good luck in your search & your journey...

I haven't figured that out yet.

I was figuring meeting with no supervision, online acquaintances midway would probably not fall under what would be perceived as a wise choice for an adult who's had better luck and/or knows about potential ambushes and fraud.

A good place for agnostics and atheists, like those on this site, to meet local, like-minded people is the Unitarian Universalist "Church." I put "church" in quotes because it is unlike other churches. They have meetings that may superficially resemble religious services, but they do not teach that the Bible is to be taken literally, and they are very careful not to offend their agnostic and atheist members. They have no obligatory religious creed, and they do not insist that anything be taken on blind faith. They mostly teach ethical living, support for worthy causes, and how to be happy.

I used to attend regularly when I lived in Idaho Falls, and I would still be attending the UU, but there is not a congregation in my small Tennessee town. The closest one is too far away for me to get there on a regular basis. But you can check out the website and see if there is one close to you. [uua.org]

Yes, I enjoyed UU meditation and services this morning. This afternoon, I enjoyed Crunch Fitness. It was my first day. At a distance, I enjoy Scientology classes, but rarely get a chance to visit one of their beautiful churches.

We should start a group that meets maybe somewhere between Birmingham and the Florida line...maybe once a month and go do something...maybe rearrange the messages on Church Marquees in a humorous manor(kidding but its fun to dream)...or bowling or something

Is there a group in Opelika?. How about yoga Sat, Nov the 16th?

@WarmFluffy no group that I know of in Opelika... There is a group in here from Alabama though maybe we could stir up interest?

@Hollandaise87 I'm not sure when I'll be travelling through Opelika, again. If we start a group, I could try to alert members when I'm around so that we can choose an activity. Maybe we could start with a movie or I could ask the yoga instructot if she'd like visitors one day. She has had a great class Saturday morning before I go back.

Have you considered looking into a Unitarian Universalist church? I understand they are generally accepting of diverse beliefs/disbeliefs. I also understand there could be differences from one congregation to another, so one might not fit your needs as well as another might. Good luck to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Yes, I went today.

@WarmFluffy - How did that go for you?

@RussRAB well, as usual, but starting new friendships takes time. I don't think I met any single men my age.

Join local MEETUP groups that interest you.

Unfortunately, the older we get, the more difficult it becomes to make new friends. And the smaller the community in which you live, the more difficult it is to meet new, similarly-minded people. Sorry to seem so discouraging, but the problem is not likely to be you at all. It seems to be more of just a fact of life. And I don't think social media has done us any favors in this department, either.

Being geneally an introvert, I don't care to have lots of friends. However, I also developed a good trait to get friends which is that I listen. If you genuinely listen to people they are more likely to listen to you as well. Tat is ht start of good communication which is the basis of every good friendship or relationship. Some peopel just talk a lot and think they are communicating. No. you have to listen, and listen intently too.

As far as common interests go... check out meetup.com, and search out your are for groups tha do things you like to do.

Thanks, I'll try to work on being a better listener and check that out, again. This afternoon, I plan to go to Crunch Fitness and see how Crunchy it is.

Advertise. Invite local nones to this site.

Good idea. I'll look into how to promote. It's a nice way to chat.

Meet up groups are a good option.

If you figure it out, let me know. I am located about an hour east of Memphis Tennessee, so you can imagine what it's like to be a relative liberal atheist in this area. I'm sure it's not far from what you experience in Alabama.

'Bout the same as western NC.....

Fortunately, I discovered UU. Today, I went, again. Though there were no single men my age, it was pleasant liberal mingling.

Those are some weird suggestions from others.. Kinda gives me the creeps. My first thought was to attend various group meetings I have an interest in, a natural first were the monthly meetings and periodic activities of our county democrats.

We’ve also several do-gooder organizations in town, and lots of speakers passing through the library system. Admittedly, it’s often the same ol’ faces at these events … but occasionally there’s somebody new. Or, you can roam town on foot, talking with anyone looking to do the same..

Seems you need something to share, if only your curiosity. Puzzling observations also work for me.. Pulled over to admire a guys ‘whitewashed fruit tree trunks’ last year, now pull over whenever I see him out. Not bored or lonesome, yet, just keep your expectations low 🙂

Varn Level 8 Oct 28, 2018

Thanks, I'm about to finish life coaching studies. If I find an audience or thinking positive when, may be some will have enough in common to become personal friends.

i have found that the worst way to make friends is to go looking for friends.

just do stuff you enjoy, stuff that involves other people. you'll meet a lot of folks with nothing in common with you. you'll meet some with whom you'll hit it off, too.

g

When I get that feeling I usually get naked and run up and down my street just to see if I get any interest. All quiet so far.

@DaringDavid I'm too shy to streak even if I wouldn't be booked, but I'll think of ways I might be able to attract due attention.

Meetup.com is a great place start. It's user friendly and is a great place find others who share your interest.

I’d second that, you can always find a few groups that share your interests if you are reasonably close to a big city.

Get involved in something locally that fits your values and interests.
For example, volunteering at an animal rescue or joining a community garden.
Just get out there and do what you want to do and you will find people.

Also, have you tried local meetups based on interests?

Yes, I forgot to check that. It's been so long without time off.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.