Agnostic.com

107 5

Being Completely Honest, Is There A Bible Or Cross Anywhere In Your Home Right Now?

For those of you who didn't know, I have only been Agnostic for 2.5 years now. I guess I am still in a transition from Christianity.

I will be completely honest when I say that I do have one bible still in my home that I have had for years as part of my décor in my living room. Of course it is here merely as a decorative accent but I have now bagged it for garbage.

Please tell me if you have these things still in your home.
No need to be shy or embarrassed unless you are still doing sunday mass and paying Tithe......lol

• 68 votes
  • 76 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

107 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two bibles, An old family KJ one and a new english version.also a translation of the Koran on Kindle.

My first three years of education were in a catholic school. I did all the rituals.I still have a small book and rosary in a plastic pouch circa 1957. I keep it for historic purposes. It is stored with my Elvis 45rpm records that the nuns and priest said that if I was listening to him I was sinning.

The one time l read it l found it repeated so much l felt bored, l will find one and try again.

Yes, I have and have read the Bible, the Quran, the "Communist Manifesto", "Das Kapital", Immanuel Kan'ts "Critique of Pure Reason", books on Buddhism, Aristotle's writings, Plato's writings, Ayn Rand's "Virtue of Selfishness" (and everything else she wrote), and many other books on life and philosophy. I am not ashamed or embarrassed about having any of them.

I have both the RSV and NIV versions of the bible. I also have the papers I had to write in 3 of the five religion classes I had at the Lutheran college I got my first degree at.

Have 150 year old family bible kept as a family ikon

No reason why you shouldn't have any religious symbols in your home. Its no one's business but yours. No need to justify anything.

In fact, discarding your religious symbols or religious connections because of your new ideology is no different to being told you must dispose of any paraphernalia related to meditation books etc. by a fundamentalist Christian sect. Try not to let agnosticism have a cult-like effect on you because you can shut the door on all sorts of interesting ideas.

I have my deceased mother's Bible, with family history and her handwriting in it. And I have several Buddhist statues and symbols in my house and garden. I am drawn to Buddhism as a philosophy and way to live peacefully, not a religion.

I think I still have the Qaran on my phone, and I live with my Catholic mother.

I also have many Pagan talismans and other charms.

I'm a Buddhist. I'll bet most folks on this board don't know that Buddhism is NOT a religion. It is a non-theistic practice of meditation and ethical behavior. What do we do in meditation? We practice relaxing the mind from stress and worry, and just observe how the mind works. There are a lot of insights along the way, both during and post meditation.

But to answer your question. I have no Christian imagery, but my room-mate has some. I do have some Buddhist images, but I don't worship them, or anything like that. I have Buddhist literature/books, but no Bible. I wish I had a Bible to use as reference. Knowing various Bible stories is helpful in understanding a lot of Western literature.

I'd like to share a Buddhist Sutra, the Kalama Sutra, in which Buddha talks about the need for doubt and skepticism.

Kalama Sutra

Do not believe anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, when you find anything that agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

It’s a significant book to many. We have one ..to me it’s just a book ,a curiosity!

I've been a non-Theist since my teen age years. I have several religious icons, books. Simply because I don't believe in the super-natural doesn't mean I can't appreciate the philosophy or the art. A friend left me a 'blessed' statue of the Arch Angel Michael stepping on the neck of a demon or something (even has a card naming the Priest who blessed it). It is not an expensive statue -- I'm hoping he will want it back someday. I don't care who knows I have these things -- they do not define who I am.

i have a bible my grandparents gave me. prob have something else but can't remember.

jewelry and art

I have the cross necklace my ex gave me for Xmas one year. Also a Hammer of Thor necklace. And an Elder Sign (H P Lovecraft) amulet on a beautiful chain that I picked up from the game store way back when, to protect against critters from the Necronomicon, just in case.

These are all works of art, and I'm not getting rid of them, despite not believing in any of them.

I have studied religions for a while now and have many religious symbols in my home. Most of those would be considered "Pagan"

I have several Bibles with family history that have belonged to family members that have passed on. These are the only thing there that I have that would actually be considered "Christian".

I have a Quran that was gifted to me. Also a 22 volume set of the Zohar that was also gifted to me.

I have an extensive library with a large religious section that includes The Dead Sea Scrolls several of the "Lost Gospels" The Egyptian Book of the Dead, The Golden Dawn, The Secret Teachings of all Ages, The Kama Sutra, the I Ching... and many many more...too many to list. These allows me to have informed conversations with people about their many various beliefs.

I also collect religious artifacts of the "pagan" variety. Some are for novelty and home decor some I actually use.

I have a number of Tarot decks. My favorite is the one that I can actually play cards with.

There are prayer flags and hamsas, stars of David, and pentagrams. There is a crystal ball, and a number of wands, staffs, and athemes.

There are smudging fans and bowls, that I actually use to disinfect the house periodically.

A plethora of herbs and spices and things from nature.The pendulums, crystals, and geodes are beautiful and eye catching.

Oijah Boards, and cauldrons, that get used sometimes also in "potion" making. (I make my own cosmetic oils, and herbal cures, and also use them sometimes to cook in when I am in need of extra pots and pans!)

A twisted broom hangs at my door that I use in weddings for "broom jumping" ceremonies, and there is a witches hat and shoes sitting on my top shelf, and one feathered artificial raven that sits on my clock... just 'cause it's cool!

Donna Level 6 July 3, 2018

I have studied religions for a while now and have many religious symbols in my home. Most of those would be considered "Pagan"

I have several Bibles with family history that have belonged to family members that have passed on. These are the only thing there that I have that would actually be considered "Christian".

I have a Quran that was gifted to me. Also a 22 volume set of the Zohar that was also gifted to me.

I have an extensive library with a large religious section that includes The Dead Sea Scrolls several of the "Lost Gospels" The Egyptian Book of the Dead, The Golden Dawn, The Secret Teachings of all Ages, The Kama Sutra, the I Ching... and many many more...too many to list. These allows me to have informed conversations with people about their many various beliefs.

I also collect religious artifacts of the "pagan" variety. Some are for novelty and home decor some I actually use.

I have a number of Tarot decks. My favorite is the one that I can actually play cards with.

There are prayer flags and hamsas, stars of David, and pentagrams. There is a crystal ball, and a number of wands, staffs, and athemes.

There are smudging fans and bowls, that I actually use to disinfect the house periodically.

A plethora of herbs and spices and things from nature.The pendulums, crystals, and geodes are beautiful and eye catching.

Oijah Boards, and cauldrons, that get used sometimes also in "potion" making. (I make my own cosmetic oils, and herbal cures, and also use them sometimes to cook in when I am in need of extra pots and pans!)

A twisted broom hangs at my door that I use in weddings for "broom jumping" ceremonies, and there is a witches hat and shoes sitting on my top shelf, and one feathered artificial raven that sits on my clock... just 'cause it's cool!

Donna Level 6 July 3, 2018

I am homeless 😟

I answered no, but in hindsight think there might be an item or two laying around. Seems I saw a cross pendant, but it is not mine and will likely wind up at Goodwill or some similar place. Definitely no Bibles unless my crazy ass brother sneaked one in and left it.

I do, but they are possessions that belonged to my parents. Sentimental items.

There is a Bible, a cross, an angel, prayer hands, an evil eye, a mezuzah, a star of David, Buddhist prayer flags, a prayer wheel, a Bible, an Ephemeris, a tarot deck, 7 Budda statues, Koran, a Book of the Dead, several books on comparative , a statue of, Ganesh, multiple Wiccan symbols, an egg, and a masculine fertility statue (oh, wait, that's a dildo)......
Yes, I married an antiques dealer (read: hoarder)....so the last answer also applies.
The books are mine, as well as some symbols and statues. My Agnosticism/Atheism (depending on the day), and termina adolescent eye-roll were not just endowed upon me, they were earned. However, the cultural artifacts remain. From the first time I ever saw that giant Turible (incense burner at an very large Catholic service) get hurled down the aisle at a tremendous speed, suspended by a thick rope, only to swing back and forth as if propelled by an unseen force, spewing acrid thick white smoke, I thought, over and over, "these people are fucking crazy, but this is the best theater EVER!

So I have been fascinated by the cultural effect of . Good and bad. (Remember, a faggot is kindling, for the fires the Christian Church used to burn us in)..
So my mother, the full time Astrologer, used to tell me as a child, when I had questions about god, "look at all of the religions, see what they have in common, and there you find your truths"
Less than anything else, believe it or not, is a diety. It is not the thread. So I welcome the cultural artifacts into my home, and will celebrate them all. It confuses my boss when I take religious holidays, at the very least...
(This is one corner of one room in my home. Another room looks like a huge junk drawer)

I just remembered I inherited the family antique hand carved ivory, Nativity scene.

I picked up a Bible a couple of years ago to go along with my interest in "Atheist Bible Study." I listen to podcasts about that sort of thing. I like to go to the source to see the absurdities of the Bible without always relying completely on the analysis of others. There is is reason that atheists tend to know more about Christianity than Christians. It's hard to take that book seriously when you read it for yourself.

I have three bibles and a concordance which belonged to my late wife. She also saved the crucifix from her mother's funeral. That's about it. I also have a digital copy of the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, a book I highly recommend.

Yep. Several bibles. Quran, numerous books on various mythologies, and two crucifixes my parents brought back from Bremen after WWII.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.