Agnostic.com

107 5

Being Completely Honest, Is There A Bible Or Cross Anywhere In Your Home Right Now?

For those of you who didn't know, I have only been Agnostic for 2.5 years now. I guess I am still in a transition from Christianity.

I will be completely honest when I say that I do have one bible still in my home that I have had for years as part of my décor in my living room. Of course it is here merely as a decorative accent but I have now bagged it for garbage.

Please tell me if you have these things still in your home.
No need to be shy or embarrassed unless you are still doing sunday mass and paying Tithe......lol

• 68 votes
  • 76 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

107 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A bible given to me by my grandmother. I was very young and listed the birth and death of my rabbit. Forgot I had it until a few months ago when I was going through a cedar chest and found it.

My daughter was surprised and I told her she could have it but she is waiting to inherit the entire chest. Perhaps secretively hoping I will read or something.

Reading the bible causes atheism lol

I have a bible full of notes and citations for debate purposes. I also have copies of tons of other religious texts marked in a similar manner.

Lol, I'm a dick.

I keep a bible app on my phone...because I like bookmarking the contradictions I find.

My mom comes to visit and she insist on having the hokey torture device here. When she passes I will for sure throw it in the wood stove.

None, oh wait a Voodoo doll I got in Nawlens few years back!

Of course I gave a copy of the bible if I hadn’t have read it I wouldn’t be an atheist

Symbols? Crosses? No. Bibles? Sure. And a Koran, and a copy of The Book of Mormon. They are reference materials, NOT devotional props. It is helpful to know what you are talking about when criticizing religious scriptural claims.

I have way more books about religion from a secular, scholarly perspective. My sentimental favorite is a satirical condensed version of the Bible by Mark Russell called "God Is Disappointed In You." It is even illustrated. 😛

This is the first time I get to tell this one! My mother and I, living separately though both addicted to thrift stores, would both accept (salvation army would give you one free with a purchase) and if the price were right, purchase bibles from such stores.. Where’d they go? Into my compost bin … it was a nice one, and I loved to knowing they were quietly decomposing out of site and out of circulation 🙂

My former wife’s mother died. Catholic, who’d some way managed to raise 3 atheist daughters.. when cleaning out, we volunteered to take the religious stuff … and though I had target practice in mind.. It all became landfill. So nothing here 🙂

Varn Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

@twshield ...you’re welcome.. I’ve often wondered it book composting is anything like book burning 😉

Just checked ... can't find a single crucifix or bible anywhere, but that doesn't surprise me. As a family we have never had a "family bible" to pass down either.

I have a couple different copies of the Bible and some other books centered around Jesus and Christianity, but I took quite a few philosophy courses that dealt with religious topics. My love for knowlesge will always trump my disdain for organized religion. How else can I truly know the enemy? Lol.

^^This

I have a bible from the old days when I was married (wife was a believer) I keep it around just as a reference book now.

My Grandmother left here bible to me. I'm not sure why I got it. She may have believed I needed it most, of her many grandkids. So I still have it. It might as well be in a museum. It's a family thing, not a religious thing.

It depends on your definition of religious symbols. I don't have any crosses or bibles, however I do have a painting my grandmother painted titled "In The House of David" (she was a devout Catholic and painted a lot of religious themed paintings).

I have several bibles and the book of mormon. I don't throw away books. My mormon friends tell me that makes me an honorary mormon after the first 2 years.

Absolutely there's a bible in my home. If you talk to christians you need to be able to look up their quotations from the bible - and give them other quotations that they find 'uncomfortable'. You cannot oppose christianity from a position of ignorance - even though that's how many christians support it.

There's also an English translation of the quran in my house for exactly the same reason. And a book detailing the basic concepts of other religions.

The reason I am an atheist is because I KNOW religion is fucked up!

No bible or crosses. Plenty of Buddhist symbolism though

It kind of acts like garlic to jehovas witnesses 🙂

I have Bible, Bhagavad Gita (x3), Upanishads, Dhammapada, and various (loose-leaf) Buddhist sutras, and half a dozen books on Buddhism. I also have a whole box of Christian books and tchotchkes that I keep getting. Oh I forgot I have several hymn books and a whole library of Christian musical literature.

Do I win?

Problem with the question as opposed to the choices made available. I have no religious symbols in my house, but I have tons of religious literature I use for reference. I am a follower of Sun Tzu, therefor the literature. I should point out that most of the literature I have is in easy to search computer files, not in the form of paper, though I do have a few physical books.

@evestrat -- Oops, you misunderread my comment. I said I am a follower of Sun Tzu and that is the reason for the literature.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm a hoarder. My place is a mess...

I have a bible on my bookshelf. It is over 100 years old and belonged to my grandmother as a child and still has her handwritten notes in it.

It has no religious significance to me, but does have sentimental value.

I have a small cross hanging on the wall of my Den taken from my mother’s casket at the time of her burial.

I think there are a couple of bibles still around, hopefully in the box to go to the used book store. As for jewelry, I don't think so unless it is still in the box in the garage to go to Goodwill or some such place. I've kinda been purging stuff I don't use/don't want/don't need. I used to have a huge library and the employers paid for the moves. Doing it on my own, the books had to go.

@twshield That is my goal, to be real and honest.

I have a the bible I got for a graduation gift on the reference book shelf, a picture of J and some lambs I don't recall where it would have come from, and a few rosaries in drawers around the house.

I have one

I do but all of the crosses are upside down! Goes with the metal!! \m/

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.