Agnostic.com

107 5

Being Completely Honest, Is There A Bible Or Cross Anywhere In Your Home Right Now?

For those of you who didn't know, I have only been Agnostic for 2.5 years now. I guess I am still in a transition from Christianity.

I will be completely honest when I say that I do have one bible still in my home that I have had for years as part of my décor in my living room. Of course it is here merely as a decorative accent but I have now bagged it for garbage.

Please tell me if you have these things still in your home.
No need to be shy or embarrassed unless you are still doing sunday mass and paying Tithe......lol

• 68 votes
  • 76 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

107 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I have and have read the Bible, the Quran, the "Communist Manifesto", "Das Kapital", Immanuel Kan'ts "Critique of Pure Reason", books on Buddhism, Aristotle's writings, Plato's writings, Ayn Rand's "Virtue of Selfishness" (and everything else she wrote), and many other books on life and philosophy. I am not ashamed or embarrassed about having any of them.

I have my deceased mother's Bible, with family history and her handwriting in it. And I have several Buddhist statues and symbols in my house and garden. I am drawn to Buddhism as a philosophy and way to live peacefully, not a religion.

I answered no, but in hindsight think there might be an item or two laying around. Seems I saw a cross pendant, but it is not mine and will likely wind up at Goodwill or some similar place. Definitely no Bibles unless my crazy ass brother sneaked one in and left it.

I do, but they are possessions that belonged to my parents. Sentimental items.

I picked up a Bible a couple of years ago to go along with my interest in "Atheist Bible Study." I listen to podcasts about that sort of thing. I like to go to the source to see the absurdities of the Bible without always relying completely on the analysis of others. There is is reason that atheists tend to know more about Christianity than Christians. It's hard to take that book seriously when you read it for yourself.

No crosses but I own a bible. Read it from time to time to stay brushed up. Read it twice consecutively when I was7-8 but my memory isn't what it used to be. I wanted to believe. Wouldn't it be great to be blind to reality. Ignorance is bliss,right? Two pages in to genesis I shook my head and new it was all fairy tales. You should see the look on tbese"s" when they find out I am not"of the flock". Immediately they cop this attitude of poor,pitiful,unenlightened Caseman. I must show him the error of his ways and lead him to the light of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Ramirez I mean Christ. These ignorant fool"s" know Jack shit about their religion. It is considered cool to be ,say shit like it's all thanks to my lord and Saviour Jose Christ we won the game. Meanwhile3 million people died in Sri Lanka today, but they was just heathens, not good s like my football team. We preyed and our Lord and Saviour Julio Cesar Christ answered em we managed to break the other team's quarterback's leg off n win in overtime.Praise the lawd. Now we going to Hooters then miss kitty's n celebrate this victory with an ounce of coke some smack hash and three underage sex slaves from the former Soviet Union. They get confused,then embarrassed then PISSED OFF when I refute everything they say with facts and bible verses. Eventually they storm off,furious because I am so damned stupid I can't see the truth for all my ridiculous evidence and corroborations. I am just too damned stupid to understand faith.

I bought a KJV Bible at Goodwill. Bible quotes sound best in KJV-speak, IMHO. Especially the commandments. They just don't carry as much zing without the "thou shalts." Also, my MIL sent some sort of Bible (whichever one the Methodists use, likely) to my husband.

vita Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

I have my deceased mother's Bible. It has family information in it and it was something that meant a great deal to her. I loved my Momma and lost her way too soon. I have difficulty parting with any of her prized possessions despite the fact she's been gone since 1996.

I have a bible and a quran both. I don't know where they are now, but the bible was a gift and I wanted to see all of the scientific knowledge in the quran that muslims frequently cite. Unfortunately, that must all be in the Arabic version.

JimG Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

I was raised Catholic, girls boarding school. I cannot remember exact books and verses but the Bible is indelibly printed in my brain.

Never did, never will!

Earl Level 1 Apr 23, 2018

On my bookshelf sits the bible I was awarded in my childhood for a streak of perfect attendance at Sunday School - not that I had any choice in that matter - as well as an English translation of the Koran, several books on philosophy, one by the Dalai Lama, and numerous by Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins, et al. As others here have cited, I find it handy to have a bible for reference when debating some point with a faith-head -- er, I mean, a fine, thinking adult with imaginary friends.

As for crosses, I'm a geocacher and I keep a box of the religious kitsch I've pulled from caches, plus I have a couple of rosaries for the priest costume I sometimes wear to halloween parties. None of it has any personal significance, however.

Godot Level 7 Apr 20, 2018

Half price books will buy your old bibles with a smile

I have numerous Bibles (KJV, RSV, NIV, Living, etc.) and concordances, a copy of the Koran, some Talmudic commentaries and even a Book of Mormon ... but then I suppose I'm a hoarder.

Certainly there is a bible (more than one in two different editions), the book of Mormon, some Hinduistic literature, Buddha's teachings, Scandinavian, Greek, Mesoamerican mythologies... At some point I will add the Quran to them and perhaps other religious texts. Also my library contains some quantity of political books from all sides of the spectrum.
The more you know, the easier to define your own standing, while avoiding being ultimately influenced by just one source.

I don't have a bible, but since I collect Dia de los Muertos items, a few of them have crosses on them.

what kind of items do you have? sounds interesting.

@Funeralgirl I have mainly skeleton stuff....figurines, some wall hangings, paintings, pictures, floral stuff. Once you start collecting, well, ANYTHING, people find great things to give you. BTW, love the screen name...I hope you are a funeral director!!

I have my bible and I read it. I happen to know more about it than the average Christian. Nothing wrong with that on the contrary.

Oh Crap, I answered NO and then remembered I have a 'stage' shirt that has a drawn symbol of a cross using 2 Fender guitars' with "Rock n Roll Religion" emblazoned on the back. Does that count??

I have a planter that I got from Beni Hana in Key West shaped like a Buddha. It contained a rum drink when I got it. Does that count? I also have an Aztec carving from Cozumel I bought as a souvenir. No bibles or crosses, though.

My middle child is teetering on the edge of Christianity. He has a couple of bibles in his room. I also have a few of my hubby’s Norse nicknacks.

I checked, there is a bible on the bookshelf, my son said he will try and get around to reading it one day, a buddha statue, plaster characters from the TV series "Monkey", some of the armor here has religious type symbols on it, no idea what they are. Best of all, and I suggest you all find a copy and read it is, "Lord of Light" by Roger Zelazny.

BTW "Lord of Light" is a humorous sci fi based on the Hindu pantheon mostly but had Buddha and Christ as well.

I have a bible in my home. I also have young's analytical concordance to the bible, Josephus the essential writings, the dead sea scriptures (english translation) by Theodore Gaster, Satan Is Alive and Well on Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey and The Buddha and his Teachings by Narada Mahathera. I also have another book of fairy tales called Dianetics by L.Ron Hubbard. In my opinion you can't know about a thing if you don't have the measure of it (including all sides). As a footnote I still have sixty of my college books.

Let me add that it is a pocket bible handed out in WWII to servicemen who wanted one. It belonged to my great uncle Harold and on the first page is a note from him saying if he didn’t survive that the Bible was to go to my late father. My aunt sent it to me so it’s more of a family memento rather than a religious object.

The bible I have was given to me as a gift (hoping to lure me back to religion, I believe). I don't consider it a religious symbol, therefore I answered "NO".

I do not have any religious symbols in my home, but my wife does. She is a devout Catholic who respects my right to disbelieve.

@twshield NO. I do not own or possess those, nor do I display them. They are not mine and I have nothing to do with them.

@twshield No it was not. The question was if I , and I repeat, I have any . . . .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.