Agnostic.com

107 5

Being Completely Honest, Is There A Bible Or Cross Anywhere In Your Home Right Now?

For those of you who didn't know, I have only been Agnostic for 2.5 years now. I guess I am still in a transition from Christianity.

I will be completely honest when I say that I do have one bible still in my home that I have had for years as part of my décor in my living room. Of course it is here merely as a decorative accent but I have now bagged it for garbage.

Please tell me if you have these things still in your home.
No need to be shy or embarrassed unless you are still doing sunday mass and paying Tithe......lol

• 68 votes
  • 76 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 4 votes
twshield 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

107 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A bible... still in the wrapper, was given to my late wife by Billy Graham (she said). It’s kept in a night table drawer in my guest room, sort of a snarky joke.

Tomas Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

I keep them around for decoration. In case family and friends come that believe in the religious bs/god. If it wasn't for that reason, that stuff would be in my closet for centamental reasons. I have thrown some it the trash. I guess it's kind of weird.

Yes I have several bibles in my home as well as some copies of the Koran and a book of Mormon. I really want to add the Egyptian book of the dead to my collection.

I used to have a few different versions, that I did study. I threw them all out many years ago.

I actually have a Bible in my bedroom...

A friend gave me a terra cotta church years and years ago, so I've kept it to remember his kindness. I believe in human love and goodness

A friend gave me a terra cotta church years and years ago, so I've kept it to remember his kindness. I believe in human love and goodness

There is a standing Buddha in my living room, and upstairs, in Brendan's room we find tapestries of Buddha, Shiva and the elephant guy. I consider it art. Nobody is praying to it.

Yes, because it was my mother's and she wrote in it as a child, so it has purely sentimental value.

NO. I did find one in our funeral home (the warehouse location where we keep caskets etc) I think we had it along with some antiques we have stored. No idea where it came from, it is NOT on display, we don't even order or sell "cross or religious jewellery" We just don't want it around. We sell wind chimes that contain capsule for cremated remains (ashes) and I won't even order the one that has the same notes as "Amazing Grace" LOL,,, can't stand to have any religious ANYTHING in the funeral home. lucky for us, we live in Canada where it's not a big deal.

No sir I do not.

I have various religious texts knocking around for reference but they're not there for my guidance or spiritual fulfilment. I'm currently sitting on a rug with sections of the Qu'ran woven into it, it's a great rug from a great holiday experience but Allah has nothing to do with it (for me)

I'm a non believer with two bibles. One older than my mother and the other is "the message" it's the old and New Testament translated into contemporary English. I also have the Book of Mormon

Yes, I have a couple of Bibles in my home. I was a Jesus freak in my earlier years until I found by experience that it doesn't work. I used to be interested in hidden meanings in the Bible but now I don't need that stuff. After having original texts along with English versions on my computer at one time and finding that they didn't match up, I got suspicious. That's to say nothing of the inconsistencies throughout the book. For a long time now I believe that I am responsible for me and that no one else can remove my 'sins' (whatever they are). That all said and done, I am a church organist with quite a bit of experience and some of the behaviour I've observed in the name of Christianity makes me shudder. I'm there because I like to play organ but they can keep their silly ideas.

I love religion personally. I study it. So I have Celtic crosses, Christian crosses, and Greek symbols around my place.

I also have a tattoo of a cross.

Absolutely! Know thy enemy! How can you know all the falsities, lies, and historical mistakes if you don't have access to them? Just reading the opinions of others like Hitchens is not enough, and sometimes I need to check the references of Sam Harris and other faves to understand more deeply. Besides, they're the detritus of old periods of "born againism" which help to remind me not to go to such deep and perhaps outspoken ways of believing or not believing. And they help me come up with my own "proofs"... Like the real number of animals on the Ark was not 2 of every kind. It was different for clean / unclean, and some interpretations (versions) of the Bible are not even clear about that... The words of men are often folly...

I think I have an old bible from when I was a kid packed away somewhere.

I am Commandant of the local Marine Corps League (MCL) and carry around a lot of their gear. We use the bible to indicate if the meeting is in session or not as part of the tradition and ritual. I am a fan of tradition, and of ritual, as they often bring people together to focus on common goals. Our MCL does not make an issue of you being "of the faith" or of any faith, and it is ok with me to respect the deep beliefs of others as long as they respect mine and do not force their beliefs upon me. They have elected me as their leader, so it does work sometimes. I also have Norse symbols (my heritage), Indian symbols (collectibles), and others. I chose not to "worship" them, as they are just objects.

No crosses or anything like that, though I do have some books on Buddhism, witchcraft, paganism, and satanism. I do wear a pentagram necklace, as a reminder to myself that not everyone deserves my kindness and some of the freeloaders in my life need to be kicked to the curb.

Ugh. No way!

I think there might be a New Testament in modern English around somewhere. And actually we have, now I think of it, quite a stunning piece of religious artwork, depicting Christ on the cross flanked by two thieves. This is a masterpiece of marquetry, but it is tucked away in a wardrobe (it used to hang in my wife's parents' home). I admire the craftsmanship but detest the symbolism. I don't think my wife really wants to look at it, either.

I have a bible.

Yep.

I have one

I have a the bible I got for a graduation gift on the reference book shelf, a picture of J and some lambs I don't recall where it would have come from, and a few rosaries in drawers around the house.

I'm a hoarder. My place is a mess...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.