Agnostic.com

29 4

If you won the lottery,,,

...what would be your first purchase?

Mine: a house by the sea and some land next to it for my friend who wants to set up a sanctuary for rescued rabbits.

Jnei 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mrs Unc told me that if I ever won on the lottery I could have a new Jaguar.

Last year I won on the lottery and she put her foot down and refused point blank to let me buy a new Jaguar. She moved the goalposts. Apparently, I had have a substantially bigger win than £10.

😉

Here is a true story. This guy drove a cab, not one of those black cabs you see whenever London is seen in a film but a normal car type. Gypsy cabs or the things that Uber uses now but not that new. Anyway he had this regular job to take an old lady to pick up her pension. After a while he did not bother to put it though the books just came at the same time every week and they became friends. When she died she left him her house. Not a big house just 2 up 2 down but a house never the less. Then he won the lottery, not millions but a few hundred thousand. Enough to stop working. So he moved to the suburbs where the golf courses are but he did not fit in. He would find himself down at the taxi office most nights talking to his old mates and swapping taxi stories. After a while he ran out of stories and they all had work to do. So he bought 2 Jaguar cars, drove one as a luxury cab and rented the other to a mate to do the same. Now the moral of this true story is this. That guy was lucky. Not because of the house or the lottery but because he is doing what he likes to do and knew it.

Bravo!

Wrong question. The real one is what are you doing 5 years after winning the lottery? After the cars, family, holidays, houses, friends and partying is over. When you have thought about it and come up with an answer. Ask yourself another one... can I do it anyway?

@Stevil Okay maybe not the plane but I bet you could be kayaking anyway 🙂

I know of a couple up here who died as a result of excess. What a waste of everything.

@EllenDale Nothing exceeds like excess.

A lot of prior winners are filing bankruptcy after living beyond their means.

First, I would pay off my debt (credit cards and student loan) and make sure my family members are debt-free as well. Then I would buy some adventure; see the world, live in a few interesting places for a while. After that, I don't really know. I guess it depends on if I'm ready to settle down and live in one place for a while, or if I'll keep traveling.

First would be to pay off existing debts and mortgage. Then set up college funds for the grandchildren. If I win this week I'm going someplace warm for the rest of the month, I'm tired of the freezing my butt off crap that is a normal February in Nebraska.

Think a helicopter so I could get back and forth from town faster.

Mine is to put it in the bank, hopefully with enough principle and great interest rates to allow me to live a $100k/ year lifestyle without working.

Then I’d buy some Danzig stuff

First thing, help those closest to me out of debt, and set up college funds for the kids.
Second, get whatever cutting-edge surgery is available to restore my vision as much as possible.
After that, there's no telling what I would do. I'd likely disappear, except to those closest to me.

I would make a gift to all my local Theatre groups.

Pay off as many debts as I could then refinance the balance to lower my monthly payment. Oh, and buy a better old used car.

Buy off my mortgage. Build a house on a tropical island and live in peace and harmony.

Buy off my mortgage. Build a house on a tropical island and live in peace and harmony.

I'd wonder how it happened. As I'm mathematically inclined, I would never participate.

Same. I understand probability and statistics, and have thus chosen the sure-fire way to break even.

I understand the probability, but someone has to win. Why not me?

I don't waste money and play.

Pay off all my mountains of medical bills. After that, I could spend some time in quiet contemplation about what might be the most constructive thing I could do with the rest.

I've a mental list of people that I'd like to give to. Of course my kids & grandkids, but a few friends and acquaintances that have been good to not only me, but to others as well.

Once they are taken care of, I'm on the road to all my bucket list places.

Buy a car, change my name and disappear.

A really nice dinner out. The rest depends on how much.

A nice car. Want to clarify that all nice means is no rust, reliable, able to pass inspection, less peeling window tint. You know the real luxury stuff. Like an impala.

Honestly, not a lot different than what I’m up to and where I’m currently located.. My family would share, but ultimately - a big, make that, A Big Chunk would likely be headed American Atheist’s way 😀

Varn Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

I'd have a life of wine , women and song . Knowing me I,d waste the rest .

I'd have a life of wine , women and song . Knowing me I,d waste the rest .

Chemical lab to make my own experiments.

My first purchase would be a cup of coffee. Then it would be all spent. The most I've ever won on the lottery was about $3.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Set myself up financially and securely, but not extravagantly, and find a way to devote my time and resources to the causes of secularism and atheism, or at least participate more than I can now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.