Agnostic.com

29 12

LINK Why you should never put vodka in the freezer

I will no longer buy/order Grey Goose vodka because of their stupid comments in this article (not that I am a vodka drinker... I like gin). What makes a great vodka is that it should taste nothing. Claiming that it has subtle aromas is bull$hit marketing. GG has no history, it's a French product not Russian and vodka doesn't require a cellar (master). How can they claim being premium apart from their price? (Rant over)

Many of us are used to popping vodka in the freezer, but it turns out we’ve been doing it wrong, according to the Grey Goose creator.

Yes, it’s a failsafe way to get a chilled alcoholic beverage – and, as we know, vodka’s super low freezing temperature (-27 degrees) means you can leave it there for weeks on end without it going solid.

However, this common alcohol practice means the taste of the vodka is being ruined.

Many of us are used to popping vodka in the freezer, but it turns out we’ve been doing it wrong.

Francois Thibault, who is the Maître de Chai (Cellar Master), created the recipe for premium vodka Grey Goose.

He told Business Insider that freezing premium vodkas like Grey Goose “hid[es] the more sophisticated aromas and flavours” of the drinks.

The drink should be enjoyed at between 0 to 4 degrees instead, he said: “the temperature of a slight dilution with ice in a mixing glass.”

There is, however, one exception, and that’s with budget vodka. While the taste of premium vodkas will be ruined by the low freezer temperatures, cheap vodkas actually improve with this method.

This is because the low temperature will subdue any “aggressive, burning notes” in the vodka, meaning it’s easier to drink.

Lukian 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My aunt once told me that one reason beer is served cold is that it hides things other than hops (like rice) that are used in the brewing process.

American beer, it`s good to see that youre now getting into craft beers too because they can be drank at room temperature. The nuances of the flavours are much more complex than lagers.

@273kelvin Actually I lived in Germany for 15 years and drank so much beer I can't handle many normal beers. Now I occasionally have a sorghum beer. Cider has become my alcohol of choice.

Drink Tito’s Handmade Vodka!! No added flavors just pure vodka.

no legitimate vodka has added flavors in it. (the flavored stuff is for kids)

I put vodka in the freezer when I'm using it to make pie crust. That's the only time.

I tried that. It works yes.

havent made many pie crusts but never heard of using vodka to make one

@btroje here's a tried and true pie crust recipe that uses vodka: [seriouseats.com]

Same here!

Vodka do not get along with Puertorrican me... so.

My vodka, Absolut usually, tastes like blueberry juice, cuz that's what I mix it with. My martinis taste like chilled Bombay Sapphire gin with one single drop of vermouth and a lemon twist. Olives are for dilettantes, IMHO, but whatever rocks your boat. Everything else is an advertising campaign.

Drank a pint neat with no mixer as a teenager....not recommended...and spent the rest of the night being at one with the toilet.Needless to say ..I haven 't touched it since # learning curve # teenage idiocy .

All drinks lose flavour when chilled. Thats why scotch on the rocks is an anathema to the Scottish. One trick to improving the taste of cheap drinks is to filter them. A simple coffee filter is enough to take away much of the bad taste. FYI do you know why JD is filtered 7 times? Because it is undrinkable if only filtered 6.

One of the largest tragedies of the last 20 years is to have to specify "gin martini". I have no idea what vodka+vermouth is called, but a martini means gin. Dammit.

Well, I only buy cheap vodka. 🙂

i'm a kettle one girl. but it may be the story they give me on the bottle.

Well sheesh.... who knows.
I've a dear friend who almost killed himself on vodka, popov. He began day drinking...
But vodka was our "primer" "pre-buzz" poison of choice back in salad days to cut down on drinking expenses when hitting the industrial dance club, mixed with "mini-thins"?
My preference at the time was Absolut, but I would slum with his Popov in a pinch.
I recall Popov going down the throat hot...absolut much kinder, smoother in its method.

That said, someone once gifted me a giant bottle of Absolut. I got so wrecked on it swore I'd never touch it again.
FF years later had some Absolut "Pear" but am not a fan of getting smashed anymore, being able to function the next day is nice.

I have a friend that can taste any vodka, while blindfolded, and correctly identify it. He has done it on numerous occasions... It's amazing...

Surprisingly not that hard to do if you are a vodka drinker. They all taste different to me.

Thanks for the information. Tito’s vodka works just fine for me at room temperature.

I use lots of vodka!! I make my own extracts and tinctures, like lemon, vanilla, and several other uses. I keep a small bottle with a dropper of ginger tincture, it works great for heartburn. Yes, I kept a small (2 oz.) bottle of vodka at my desk when I was working. In two years I had heartburn about 3 times. But it amused me to have vodka at work.

Good to know

I keep a cocktail shaker with vodka in the refrigerator. That's cold enough for my occasional vodka martini. It's seasonal -- it's one of my winter drinks, the other being bourbon on the rocks,

I like a shot or two once or twice a year, still have 1/3 bottle of Smirnoff in the freezer it's about 3 years old now. I like it with oysters on the half shell.

cava Level 7 Oct 29, 2018

In Poland they put it in the freezer. It tastes a lot better.

Surprisingly not that awful for a cheap vodka, I bought it in the Mexican border town of Chetumal for $6, decent mixer but not a sipper cold or frozen.

Ah. The favored drink of 19th century Russian revolutionaries.

Heard it makes some fiery cocktails.

Seriously though, I do like Tito's from Texas which has a bit of a moonshine bit to it, Luksusowa is good value and then there's the always reliable Stoli which now even comes with a gluten free option. The Smirnoff, Absolut, Ciroc and Grey Goose are less likely purchases for me personally.
However, I did make a very decent 120 proof vodka with a refractory still that I ran for a while, if you pull it from the middle and then run it through a second time it is a nice, smooth vodka that many thought might be Tito's but with an extra kick to it.

Interesting.

I have always preferred chilled Stolichnaya. Pour like a syrup and my oh my. I agree that most people just wish to look cool and drink what is advertised. But yes it must come out of the freezer when I purchase it. but those were the old days, I know love Dr. Pepper
After all these years , I am a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too.

EMC2 Level 8 Nov 5, 2018

Vodka is something Ive always avoided, but then for most of my life Ive been a moderate drinker. Mostly a single beer or wine, though I’ve been through whiskey sipping phases.

Been a vodka connoisseur for many decades and for practice could tell lots of vodkas apart...but the main focus of vodka is who the fuck likes vodka and how much your prepared to pay for vodka just because all if not most vodka tastes like vodka...lol

That makes me chuckle since grey goose is one of the vodkas I hate.

I've joined your club then.

I used to drink Ketel One but it started getting too expensive. Smirnof with club soda is my thing now but I need the soda with it. Ketel One was fine straight up. I don't keep it in the freezer.

"vodka’s super low freezing temperature (-27 degrees) means you can leave it there for weeks on end" -- weeks on end? It won't last me weeks on end. LOL.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.