Agnostic.com

8 2

Most ridiculous and baseless superstitious beliefs you've ever encountered?

Mine is when I was young, some old folks told me that drinking a glass of water with dead ants in it will give me a sweet and wonderful voice. Sadly, being a kid, I tried it and it never worked.

clim995 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the palm of your hand itches, it means you will get money that day. I should be rich by now, but I can never find the money.

I have the winner! In Mexican culture, if a child is sick, it most likely means they are suffering from "mal ojo" or evil eye. This occurs when someone admires something on the child, but declines to touch the child.
The cure is rubbing an egg all over the child. When you crack the egg, the yolk will have an "eye."

You watched the latest version of "The Alamo" way too many times.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Never seen it. But, I have my mother's family is first gen from Mexico.

@phil21 In the 2004 Alamo with Jason Patric playing Jim Bowie there is the egg scene but it is an old custom coming from Spain about "Mal De Ojo", when I was a baby I have a gold chain with an "atocha hand in a fist" to protect me of the Evil Eye. Baby boys had it... I don't know what was for baby girls. I reckon the superstition was for baby boys only.

Can't say... the tape is still running.

I knew a guy, Elvis ( his real name was Archie Elvis) who thought If you killed a snake and didn't cut off his head and bury the head in a different hole than the body, that it would come back to life and hunt you down. We're talking about a diamond back rattlesnake, and any other poisonous snake you killed. REALLY! I tried to explain to him that dead is dead, he isn't coming back, especially if he had no head! He didn't believe me.

Oh yeh I did get warts

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

That God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son.....

Spilling salt - then you must pick up a little and throw it over your shoulder.

gater Level 7 Feb 5, 2018

Ah that one is to keep the devil away! Because why did the salt fall over? Must be right hand over left shoulder. My parents had some doozies!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.