Agnostic.com

10 14

On a Facebook page about gay men and their dogs, guys often post about the loss of their dogs. A man posted about having his dog BAPTIZED before she died. People are falling all over themselves, just loving the post. I posted the following and surprisingly, I'm getting a number of likes and thank yous, guys saying they were afraid to post something like it themselves. This is what I posted: "We are all traumatized by the loss of our beloved dogs and cats, and other pets. I'm just amazed the god would have a heaven for us and our pets, while dogs are having their limbs lopped off in Asian countries, while they are still alive. I'm amazed that god would specifically place dogs in my home, while millions are starved, full of disease, fought until they die, and live in filthy puppy mills. So I can only conclude that no god interferes in our lives or the lives of our pets. The universe has no more regard for us or our pets, as it does for any worm. The only thing that matters is how we treat each other and how we treat out beloved pets. That is the difference we can make, to care for and love each other, unlike an imaginary sky daddy. And for those who say that his post is not a theological discussion, too bad. The post is meant to evoke emotion and that is what I am expressing. I'm truly sorry for the death of Bailey."

daddy4pugs 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just an observation this is one area where I will not put my .02 in.
What you did during that person's loss was out of line and would have gotten you unfriended in my circle, and listen, I'm very much an atheist.

So I'm going to go against the grain here and say your post was inappropriate and thoughtless, no matter how ridiculous I think baptizing a dog is and would kick somebody's donkey around the block if anyone tried to "baptize" my pets.

It's really not good PR for atheists either IMO. Any more than it is to try to force a religious ceremony on someone who is atheist.

I would unfriend the shit out of someone, who for example, said a death of my pet or other loved one was god's punishment and deserved for any reason. Other side of the coin.

Baptism is supposed to symbolize the washing away of original sin. And the thing that keeps people from going straight to heaven when they die is their sinful nature as humans; so baptizing one's pet makes no logical sense--dogs (animals) don't have the stain of original sin. But, that is the thing about religious beliefs--they don't have to be logical.

She probably chewed a shoe as a puppy. Let's not take the chance that she won't get into heaven.

"Chew not on the Shoe from the Closet of Knowledge of Good and Evil."

Baptism of a pet is utterly ridiculous. I just posted a link to an article about Trump being called the ‘God Emporer’ by evangelicals, and if you are baptizing your pets to join you in the afterlife, you need a) a good spanking from your parents, who probably never would have been this stupid b) medication. The rapture and afterlife are a lie which more than distort the reality and truth we find daily here in earth, if you actually open your eyes and mind.
P.S. I love dogs too

We are all desperate to hold on to the beings we love, but we have no choice but to allow life and death to be the natural things that they are.

I have worked with animals of all kinds, for a good part of my life so far . I've held many animals in my arms as they died, and felt their essence flow out of them while their eyes gradually glazed over and became vacant. A moving experience always. However, I feel that living and dying among all species - including humans, Is no more than a random event, dictated by varying situations. This person who baptized their pet, is doing it for themselves and their comfort only.
I agree with all you said - well written !

Thanks. I have worked with animals my whole life also and have had the same experience. I held my mother's hand as she took her last breath. I was more convinced than ever that death is final. It is nothing more than a biological process. It's reality and a sad reality, but that does not make it anything other than what it is.

That was a great, well-written post. I love dogs too. 🙂

We all feel loss, but so many people do crazy things when facing loss.

Bravo! Well written.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

Thank you. People have thanked me for saying what they were thinking.

I just read this out load and my dog rolled his eyes ;-

He must be christian, eh?

Does a dog get baptized while drinking out of the toilet?

I love how you responded, I doubt I could be as tactful. When a friend wrote on my Facebook page about the rainbow bridge and all our animals waiting for us,when we got there, I responded. "Since I think we rot and feed the earth, I don't believe in the rainbow bridge either, but thanks for the trip in fantasy land, hope you take comfort in idiocy." needles to say, we are NOT friends anymore.

On my own page, I sometimes answer as you did. It depends on my frustration with nonsense on any particular day.

I know about dogs being eaten in Asia; I lived in China in the late 1980s where dog was often served as a dish. But I haven't heard about limbs being lopped off living dogs. Could you tell me more please?

[dailymail.co.uk]

Dogs and cats in Asian countries are often tortured because it is believed that the meat tastes better. In fact, that is why England had bull baiting. They thought by allowing dogs to torture cattle, the meat would be better. You probably can find it in Youtube videos. The treatment of these animals and the conditions in which they are kept before slaughter, makes a factory farm look like a luxury hotel.

Very well said, I said something similar on a Border Collie page when someone posted how god took they pet away to heaven. It got me booted after another member, not the one posting, took offence.

If it were not for people agreeing with me on that page, I could see being thrown off. Who knows, it still could happen, but for the grace of dog...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2119
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.