Agnostic.com

38 1

Religions vs Cult

What is the distinction?

paul1967 8 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't understand the distiction.

A cult is a small unpopular religion, and a religion is a large popular cult.

Perfect!!!!

They're all cults, using psychological manipulations and outright lies to control the behavior of their members and to keep them from leaving. Some are more demanding, others less so.

I agree 100%

If the founder is dead, then it’s a religion. If the founder is alive, then it’s a cult.

Religions are established cults.

godef Level 7 Oct 30, 2018

Mainly choice of beverage.

None. When someone makes up a new religion it starts off as a mythology. When you get a few followers, you then become a cult. When it becomes mainstream, then it is considered a religion. When the following regresses, it goes back to being a cult. When the following wakes up, it has gone full circle and is once again right back at the beginning.

Sounds like you know your stuff.

Amen

There isn't one. Some cults have just been around longer, and become more mainstream, than others.
They're ALL cults. Calling them "religions" is just semantics.

The word “cult” has come to mean a very bad group that will brainwash you and control you and take your money.

Just about every religious organization has people who go around labeling other religions as cults. I was leafing through a book written by a Baptist in Texas. He described Hinduism, Buddhism, and Catholicism as cults. Narrow minded aye?

I had a brush with Scientology back in ‘68. Now THAT is a cult.

@OwlInASack Tell me one religion that is not a cult...

@OwlInASack Your cult definition DEFINITELY applies to the Catholic Church - an identifiable entity.

There is just no set of identifiers that hold to any but one or a few non-catholic churches, if even that many...

@OwlInASack I don’t know much about the Catholic Church but I am told there is a lot of variation, not only among churches, but there are various schools of thought concerning doctrine as well.

That book I saw had the entire Catholic Church from top to bottom labeled as a cult, which I thought stretched the meaning of the word.

On the other hand, I think that all churches have some cultish characteristics. It would be fun to list those characteristics and give a cult rating to various religions.

I agree. They're all cults.

Cults meet in a members home , religion has building with sign outside

All religions started as a cult.

All religions ARE cults!

i am not religionist but i DO make a distinction between religion and cult. a cult has some characteristics share by some religions and not others. one of them, an important one, is the charismatic leader that convinces his (usually his) flock that everyone else in the world is sinning, lying, wrong, and that only he can be trusted. isolation is key. i know people who go to various churches and do not let that keep them from having normal lives, nor do they proselytize, nor do they vote on one issue (determined by their churches). they're normal people and if they happen to believe, to varying degrees, in a god, which i find silly, that doesn't make them cult members. there IS a difference. this is not in defense of religion. it's in defense of defining our terms accurately.

g

Good points.

There are degrees of cultiness.

@WilliamFleming i know an episcopalian whose church is much less a cult than the republican party is! she is a wonderful, reasonable person and she has never mentioned god to me. lol

g

Religion just means acceptability.

Cult just means out of the ordinary.

They were synonyms until the intense goddites took over so much of American society.

Take a millennia old religion into modern western society and it’s a cult.

I was a practicing Buddhist and that’s what I was termed a member of by “people”.

You can say they were wrong but they never would.

I was actually called the anti-Christ!!

Words have denotation and connotation.

Cult and religion have the exact same denotation.

The CONNOTATION is what differs!!

@Ungod that simply is not true. "cult" has its own meaning and you can make up a new one that pleases you better but then we won't be speaking the same language. my description in my original post above is accurate. it's not just connotation, and it's not just acceptability, which is not actually part of the definition. cult and religion do NOT have the exact same denotation. they do not mean the same thing. religions may resemble cults, and cults may make claims to be religions, but they are not the same thing, and it's not about connotation. your being called the antichrist has no bearing on the definitions of the words.

g

@genessa
Ok, my being called the anti-Christ is a non issue...

And ok, you can define, differentiate and say all those things you did about cult and religion.

You can give them any definition you like.

I just want to see the SOURCE for what you say.

You said soo many things about both. What is the verification? What and where is the verification for ALL these things you are saying?

Me, I offer the dictionary definitions of American English.

Not too long ago, cult and religion were synonyms.
The #1 definition in the dictionaries I researched.
I believe they are still listed as synonyms today, but with other definitions perhaps preceeding it, describing cult in SOME ways you mentioned.

Those other descriptions make up some of what I call CONNOTATION.
Many words have connotation beyond its denotation.

Like it or not, cult and religion are still SYNONYMS and I submit dictionary definition as supporting proof of this.

Connotation, like what you are saying is very open ended and anyone can make up any connotations they wish.

The important thing imho, is the SUPPORT you have for your definitions.
WHO, how many and what society uses your connotations.

If it’s just your opinion I don’t care.

SUPPORT what you are saying!!

@genessa
Median Webster:
Cult = religion (definition #4):
1 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see SPURIOUS sense)
3 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual
also : its body of adherents
the cult of Apollo
4 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP

@genessa
This Wikipedia definition supports my view that cult has a NEW meaning in today’s English that is “pejorative” and “derogatory” and filled with “controversial connotations” as many are posting here in this very thread!
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The controversy is hardly a done issue and the meaning/usage of cult is constantly changing!.

New meanings don’t necessarily cancel the old ones!

Cults are religions and religions are cults!

@genessa
“Cult” just has no fixed meaning whatsoever!
Its meaning is basically pejorative AND, now that I think of it, that is the point I was making about being called the Antichrist...

I was called that because I was a member of the “cult” of Buddhism - a “cult” with culture bound American Xian’s like him, but one of the world’s major religions, far older and with more followers than Xianty!

Buddhism, a CULT !!!

“Cult” imho, is most accurately and simply defined as, “a pejorative term for a religious system”.

MINE is a religion, YOURS is a cult !!

@genessa
Cult and religion are SYNONYMS!:
“Synonyms of cult:
credo, creed, faith, persuasion, religion”
[merriam-webster.com]

@Ungod i looked up "masturbation" in a dictionary when i was about 13. the definition was "self-abuse." i did not find it helpful.

you asked for sources. there are so many it is hard to select just a few, but i have nonetheless done so, and i've managed to do so in just one post.

[cultresearch.org]

theguardian and from that:

Here are 10 warning signs of a potentially unsafe group or leader.

• Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

• No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

• No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.

• Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

• There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

• There are records, books, news articles, or broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.

• Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

• The group/leader is always right.

• The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

all forms of judaism save the ultra-orthodox and chassidim do NOT fit this description, and even then, the "do not question" and "never good enough" bits definitely do not apply. i'm pretty sure buddhism doesn't either. i don't know anything about druids. i do know christians who do not fit the description (and alas i know some who do).

[earwolf.com]

[psychologytoday.com]

g

@genessa
Cult and religion are SYNONYMS!:
“Synonyms of cult:
credo, creed, faith, persuasion, religion”
[merriam-webster.com]

@Ungod just because two words are listed as synonyms that does not mean they have the precise same definition or application and you probably KNOW that, even though you posted twice as if you did not know it. your masturbation comment was uncalled for and unappreciated. and you asked for sources, in all caps even, and yet had nothing whatsoever to say about the ones i provided. this leads me to wonder two things: 1. why do you have to make three or four posts to say one thing? and 2. why am i even talking to you if you're going to be snarky, and you ARE being snarky. i have nothing further to say to you and won't be reading your gazillion (some repetitive, all wrong) response posts any longer.

g

p.s. ... except to say that the definition of mine = religion, yours = cult is incorrect, and i don't know anyone, not even evangelicals, who think that way. it's more like mine = religion, yours = mythology. i am clarifying this for others who may be reading this, since you will find some way to twist that around.

In my mind cults and religion are both the same. Some just have more followers.

They are one in the same. The only percieved difference is the negative connotation attached to Cult. Other uses describe the following of some thing by people. Usually this something is music or movie gener. Dubbed Cult movie classics for an example. Also most occults remain secret and cling to discretion to avoid persecution at the hands of other religions.

None at all..

It is just a cycle
New = Cult
Around = Religion
Passed = Myth

I cannot wait to hear the Christian Myth!!!

That seems to fit Roman and Greek mythology - it was quite a while before I realized that these were established religions when Xianity was a ‘cult’, by today’s definition!

I believe Xians were actually called atheists too !!

A cult is probably more truthful and trustworthy. It at least usually admits what it is.

some thing ,just different place of meeting

Which cult admits it’s a cult?

Which one do you consider “truthful and trustworthy”?

In a cult, there is a person at the top who knows it's all a scam. In a religion, that person is dead.

That means that Scientology has passed from a cult to a religion.

thats as crazy a cult {passing}

Academically, a cult can be determined as a movement in tension with society. A sect as a group in tension with its leading religion. These types have been classified as New Religious Movements (NRM) for the purpose of removing derogatory associations.

In anthropology I was taught that ALL RELIGIONS begin as social movement groups...

@Ungod That would be so. Cults don’t require a religious root. A sect is a response to the religious root.

@Geoffrey51
If you can come up with a working definition for cult, that would have meaning...

Right now ‘cult’ means anything the person using that word wants it to mean!

“Religious root”!??

@Ungod A cult is a movement in tension with society. A sect is a movement in tension with its root religion.

@Geoffrey51 In anthropology I was taught that ALL RELIGIONS begin as social movement groups...

There is no difference. They both involve brain washing and taking peoples money. I use to belong to baptist cult and thought becoming a member of the catholic cult. I'm glad I'm an atheist, because no one has the right to control me. If I could find my baptism certificet, I would burn as a symbol that I"m free.

And there are those who would call atheism a cult !!

@Ungod We don't worship anything imaginary and have firm grip in reality.

@freedom41 Some do. Some don’t... I was a Buddhist atheist worshiping an imaginary “Buddha nature”, thinking that chanting the right words to the right object, would change my reality.

Atheism is no more than a description of a person’s outlook.

You can be kooky or sane...

The difference is the number of members. The numbers in a cult are small, religions (in your context) are large.

I thoroughly believe Catholicism and Jehovah Witness fit the bill for what many say is a cult - they’ve just been around longer, are well established and have large memberships!

They try to use that as cult insurance, but they are as culty as Moonies!!

A cult does not allways have to be associated with an established religion. A cult of personality or brand is so commen those days. The main attribute of a cult is the behavior of it's followers. For example, the blind support and fallowing of a figure or an idea regardless of facts.

Religions are cults then?

@JurassicT4 historically, yes but I don't think it have to be that way.

@IdenIzzat doesn't have to but at the root of it it is. Either way they suck ass lol.

@JurassicT4 True.

Behavior yes...

Cults tend to die out after one of the founding members die. That is, it's based around a single personality.

Of course, religions like to use "cult" as a pejorative for other religions as well.

Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice. - Dr Sam Harris

Based on my reading, I think the only difference between a religion and a cult is the size of it's membership.

Is there a cult of Sam Harris followers?

Steve Hassan’s BITE model is one way to know

Size, it does matter.

Yeah, it does, but all I can do is blame my parents for that. So the definition of cult would be an irrational belief by a few and Religions definition would be an irrational belief by many? Is their a number that you need to exceed to become a religion?

@paul1967 No, but I heard this in a discussion on Public Radio with a Rabbi, Priest, and a Minister. When the shows host asked this same question. There was a long silence, and then all agreed it was about size. They all start out as cults.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:212023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.