Agnostic.com

15 3

Should a candidate's ability to keep his/her religious beliefs to him/herself be a litmus test for eligibility to hold office?

I cringe every time I hear a president utter, "So Help Me God!" or "God Bless America!" or some other such ilk. I feel it is disrespectful of my freedom from religion and a serious breach of the separation of church and state. At least as bad, I get the sense the sentiment is insincere and just pandering to a brain-washed electorate and gives impetus to a convincingly debunked world view that should long ago have been relegated to the ash heap of history. The mere mention of a deity or a super natural creator makes me question the credibility of the one who makes such a reference if not his/her sanity. Should a politician who utters such a statement be automatically removed from office? I say, "Yes!"

GareBear517 7 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Part of the problem is that people have forgotten their history and refuse to read books to self-educate themselves. Our founding fathers were men of Faith - that doesn't make them Christians; and having fled England and other parts North - knew from experience how dangerous religion and politics become when combined. The Christians, Evangelicals - whichever branch they claim to be with have gotten completely out of control and have turned into the same type of terrorists that we are supposedly fighting - they may not be blowing people up, but their tactics are just as deadly. People are screaming for the heads of the Black, The Jew, The Homosexual and the Democrat......yet continue to turn a blind eye to those maggots that have taken over Our White House. Never thought I would ever see Nazis and Fascists openly walking our streets - the KKK were bad enough and now the White Domestic Terrorists that constantly are referred to as "people with mental issues".......

In a perfect world it would be but not in this day and age. They would probably remain a wanabe politician.

Absolutely. As a candidate, I always refused to admit that there is any supernatural being. My platform is the ABSOLUTE separation of state and church! One of these days the voters will listen and realize that I am the ONLY candidate that respects the separation of state and church. Also, I too cringe when someone says, "God Bless" or some other useless nonsense.

I lived in Hawaii for about eight years and, as places go, it is about as tolerant as any in regards to ethnicity, political persuasion, sexual orientation and the rest. I'm not sure what office you aspire to but I hope Hawaii is one of the first states to send an out and proud atheist to Congress. Best wishes in your endeavors!

I'll be seeking, once nomination papers are available on February 1st for the office of State Senate in Honolulu.

The god bless america crap is just words anyway . The politicians are just pandering to the majority that want to hear it and I doubt some of them really mean it. I will admit that I do get annoyed by it as it is used a lot in speeches. I doubt anyone would ever be removed from office in our lifetime.
I would love to see an open atheist or agnostic run for president, but they would have as much chance of winning as a jew or muslim. I mean can you imagine?

They used to say that about women but they are found at nearly all levels of government now and nobody blinks an eye. We could have a woman for President if one runs that isn't an unconvicted criminal!

They shouldn't be automatically removed, but there MUST be separation of church and state. If they believe in god that is their business and so long as they don't cram any religion down my throat, I'm open to them as a candidate. I also think there should be some type of competency test - constitution, finance, history.

CS60 Level 7 Nov 4, 2017

Anyone who can't pass a simple high school civics exam should not be allowed to run for office. Or vote, either!

Good point on voting. I wonder how that could accomplished fairly.

I’m afraid that will never happen at least until we become a more secular nation such as Finland, Japan and many of the European countries. I supported Obama in most things but his always ending every speech with God Bless America made me cringe but I realize it was more political than religious. Unless we somehow get a bunch of secularists into politics, wanting politicians to keep beliefs to themselves ain’t going to happen. Also I want to know where they are so I can vote against them.

gearl Level 8 Oct 30, 2017

Considering that t the US is supposed to have separation of church and state, to tolerate anyone bringing their religion into government should be automatic recall. The thing is that government is ran by, politicians and politicians will always play and speak to their base.

Yes looking at what we are dealing with, Trump is pandering to the lowest of the religious low. We have stepped back decades Roe V Wade is threatened, gay and transgendered rights are at risk, and countless other religious agendas are being foisted on the nation in the name of politics.

It gets so I am afraid to see the newspaper headlines in the morning or watch the PBS Newshour at night. What new right-wing atrocity are we going to have to undo once Drumpf is assassinated, I mean, leaves office?

GareBear, shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Its a sure sign of mental instability. Maybe even a touch of schizophrenia. A full psychiatric panel should be administered to anyone wishing to hold a public office. This is not meant to insult people with mental disabilities.

They should keep it to themselves and not pander to the religious. So I think your question is well worded that it is a good litmus test for a candidate IF they can keep their beliefs private.

We're on the same page!

They need to keep their beliefs to themselves. I do think they should be a to pass a high school history test.

I'm with you! We require licensing of beauticians and barbers based on their completion of courses and ability to demonstrate proficiency. Why not our leaders?

Won't happen. Unfortunately, humans being humans, some political candidates will try to appeal to groups' beliefs in order to get elected.

The blind leading the blind.

I remember when John Kennedy was running and peoples' head almost exploded because he was Roman Catholic and felt he would force his religious beliefs onto everyone else. John stated emphatically that his religion was his own business and he never did. Unfortunately that can't be said of today's candidates - they all try to force their religious beliefs onto the rest of us and the world. But it is only "the other guy" who is a religious terrorist.

Catholics have nothing over the evangelical crazies who would impose their version of sharia law on us all if they could.

Joe Biden said something similar to Kennedy. To paraphrase "I've been a practicing Catholic my whole life. .... abortion, life begins at conception. That's the church's judgment. I accept it in my personal life. But I refuse to impose that on others.

Link:
[ontheissues.org]

In the USA you won't get elected dog catcher if you are not a Christian I agree it is pathetic but true. Fortunately it looks like the younger generation I am 71 are moving away from this particular delusion.

At 66 I'm not far behind! And I agree that there are signs those coming up behind us are rejecting this false narrative. Time heals all wounds (except the effects of time, as you and I both know!)

I'm twelve, and I have to say that's true! Our teachers are trying their best to encourage this. I really am the only person who wants to talk about politics 24 hours a day.

I feel politicians should keep their religion to themselves. Our government, according to the foundign fathers, is secular.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.