Agnostic.com

16 9

Who else has went through a physical transformation by losing a copious amount of weight?

A year and a half ago, I was hospitalized due to my ex. I gained a lot of weight in there by sitting and eating. When I got out of there, I was dumped by my ex. He had said I was fat. So I started working again, and I was losing weight easily. I would skip lunch and walk/stand all day due to my job requirements. I was losing 2 lbs a week or so. I started out at the weight of 144 lbs in May of 2016. That was big for me. My average was 122 lbs. By December I had reached my goal and I was down to 99 lbs. In April of 2017 I decided to get a gym membership. I then started to gain muscles. I then also was talking to my ex. He wanted me back because of the weight loss. I told him No. That was one reason for the weight loss. I feel happier and better about myself and my weight. I'm 97 lbs now. I did manage somehow to be at 93 lbs. I just did 2 months of a lot of muscle growth in my legs and arms. My doctor said I'm at a healthy weight for an Asian of 5 ft tall. (Exactly 5 ft tall) All my blood labs came out excellent. I know I won't ever go back to that weight again. I did reach my goal to be healthier. Growing up, I used to be the skinniest kid. I gained weight as a young adult because I wasn't active and I ate whatever I wanted. I did have to go and buy a whole new wardrobe. I can still fit most of my shirts, but I needed new jeans. My workout pants are with an elastic waistband, so they fit. My shirt sizes now is a kids' medium or an XS in womens'. In jeans I can fit into sizes 1 and 3. In sizes 3, I have to wear a belt. I drink a ton of water now. My average on how many bottles of water I drink a day is 5-6 bottles. I refill them up. My medicine gives me dry a mouth and I'm constantly thirsty. Did anyone else lose a lot of weight, and how do you feel now?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are the photos of the man with the dog and in scrubs , your boyfriend ? As you pointed out , you're down to wearing child sized clothing . Makes me wonder , if that's what he's really looking for , a child ? Glad to hear you didn't take him back .

Who in scrubs?

@Sarahroo29 When I initially saw your photos , they were small and a little hard for these old eyeballs to make them out . I clicked on one to select it , then clicked again to expand it . There was an arrow to each side , so I started clicking through them , thinking there were only 4 , but instead of coming back to the first one , there were in addition another 4(?) of a large African American male , one with a small dog , and one in scrubs . Since your post was about your extremely petite size and your boyfriend , I wondered if that might be him .

good job

Thanks.

I lost approximately 90 pounds in the last year. I see it as a transformation exercise.

I dropped 85 pounds in about six months back in early 2015 after finding out that I had to give up sucrose. There's a long story there, but I'm not diabetic. Being 6'5" and loosing that much wait didn't really register at first until all of my pants and shorts needed to be replaced. It isn't hard to keep it off thanks to the very little to no sugars I eat.

I lost 65 lbs a year after I graduated from high school that put me around 205-210. Went from 42" waist to 36" waist. Then I got into power lifting. Muscle is 5 times as dense as Fat. I weigh around 225-230lbs now and my waist is 38". I'm 6'1" and the "charts" say for my height I should weigh at most 191lbs. The only way I could do that is cut off a leg.

I've lost about 75 pounds because of illness. I hope to lose another 30.

marga Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

I hope you lose that last 30 and you are well

I'm new here, looking to perhaps find a partner, in addition to friendships with like minded people.
I decided to be brave and just lay it all on the line after reading your post.
What I'm divulging is something that affects me deeply; both physically and emotionally. It affects how I see myself and how I interact with men. It stays with me every single day.
I used to weigh nearly 400 pounds. I've always been heavy and all my family was overweight. My sister, 10 years my senior, weighed in at 400 pounds at 5'5". I remember going out in public with her and seeing the way that general public reacted to her appearance. It was deplorable and I believe it affected the way I viewed myself and my own, lesser weight problem. I suppose I was conditioned at a young age to believe heavy people were inferior to those of normal weight. That wrong idea still haunts me. I'm certain it's why I let myself be treated like crap for half my life.
When I married, I weighed about 250 at 5'9". During the first years of marriage, two things happened. I had several babies all close in age and I discovered just how bad of an alcoholic my husband was. Gaining weight with my pregnancies coupled with severe depression over my marriage and my own self-loathing combined to help me blow up to 390 pounds. I believe, after countless hours of introspection, that I was trying to put a layer between myself and those outside sources of pain.
It worked. My husband grew disgusted with me and in addition to all the other hateful things he said and did, one thing has stuck with me to this day...that I didn't even look like a woman. For whatever reason, that statement tore a gash in my heart and in my self esteem that I don't know I'll ever recover from...not completely.
Long story short, after the messy, ugly divorce, I underwent gastric bypass surgery. I had high hopes of beauty and popularity! What I got was constant recurring illnesses and a body that looked like a battlefield. In between my many hospital stays and being so sick and miserable that left me wanting to end it all, I'd stand in front of my mirror and look at my ravaged body and just cry. For hours. For days...for years. Who could love this? Who would ever understand? Who wouldn't run in disgust as soon as they saw me? It was soul crushing.
I have skin issues that only a plastic surgeon could fix. But no way to make that happen.
It's been 10 years. I still have a very sensitive stomach and must be very careful about what, how much and how fast I can eat. That makes dating akward sometimes. Even so, every 6-8 months something happens to piss off my stomach and I either end up in bed for weeks or in the hospital. No doctor has been able to find out what's wrong or how to fix it. So I've had to learn to just soldier on and live as healthy a lifestyle as I can.
Despite all this, of course I wanted to find that special someone who would see the beautiful person I am and be able to deal with and overlook my physical appearance and annual illnesses. I was desperate for acceptance and companionship and so I screwed up my courage and started dating. I needed to feel I still "had it", that men would still find me attractive, that they would want to date me.
And they did. I'm passably pretty. I'm tall, have a great personality and look good in clothes. I learned to dress strategically, the right underwear, the right cut of clothing to enhance yet conceal. But when it came to sex, it was usually a disaster. I was so self conscious and uptight I could never really relax and enjoy myself because I always felt I was being judged for my appearance. I'm proud of my accomplishment. But after what I'd been through, I just couldn't stand to see the censure in another's eyes as they looked at what I've come to consider a deformity.
Do I tell a man I've had a gastric bypass? Do I admit I used to weigh 400 pounds? Do I tell them about the loose skin? Do I just shut my mouth and deal with their reaction when they see it? If I do tell them, when do I tell them? How do I tell them? Would they understand about my frequent bouts of illnesses? I'd tie myself into emotional knots worrying about it all. Have I mentioned it was soul-crushing? Well it is. But I am deserving of love. I think lonliness is borne largely out of expectations. And for myself, I had to learn to fill my life with things that gave me joy. Things that empowered me. And I have. Not every day is a good day. But most are. When I think about my body now, I don't let it defeat me. I can't. I take solace in the unconditional love of my children, of my family and friends who don't care how I look. I don't know if I will ever find that one special man that will accept and love me no matter my imperfections, especially when I am willing to do the same. But you know what? Once I became ok with me...It's not so important any more. I still struggle with self esteem. I still worry from time to time about how I'll handle it if I do meet someone I think could be special. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.
So thank you for your post. I'm very interested to see if there are others here who've been through similar ordeals.

My ex manager had the surgery and so did my uncle. My sister is next. I was adopted. I'm sorry to hear of your hard past. I'm single and I kind of gave up on relationships. It's almost been 2 years being single. I'm almost 30 in 8 days.

@Sarahroo29 Thank you. I know lots of people have it worse than I. But to anyone about to get this surgery...be realistic. And get the mesh that compresses the stomach...not the bypass.

@Freespirit64 They already had the surgery. Except my sister is trying to lose the weight first.

@Freespirit64 If you are ashamed of the loose skin that commonly occurs after such a large weight loss I would explain it to anyone that is going to see you with your clothes off before that happens. You did a great thing losing the weight and that is an unfortunate side effect. You do not need any surprise expressions to hurt your feelings or self esteem.YOu look beautiful in your photo

@btroje
Thank you for that...it means a lot.

@Freespirit64 I hit 300 lbs at my highest weight. I saw a photo of myself and that did it for me. However I'm only about half way there with diet - and I live in fear of loose skin. (Hoping it won't happen).

That being said I had breast cancer surgery so now I have one side that's an A and one side that's a D. I really would have to tell a future partner so as not to see the shock on their face.

I think if someone cares for you it won't matter one bit.

Yes I could have reconstruction - than I'd have one sagging a bit - and one straight forward for the rest of my life. Not my thing.

None of what you've described is an easy thing. But you sound brave to me.

I'm sorry your surgery had complications. That's got to be awful.

Does anyone else wonder why people’s weights have increased so much in modern history? So many of the food choices are not made with healthy ingredients, are laced with hormones, antibiotics, sugar, salt, unhealthy fats, toxic herbicides and pesticides. I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 years and went vegan 2 years ago. Everything you put in your body affects something-so try to eat as clean as you can. I still eat chips and some desserts, just in moderation. Keep working on it, y’all.

Yep. Doin' good.

I don't wonder, I know. 3 patties and bacon on a hamburger, 3ft of bacon on a pizza, all you can eat buffets, no end of fried food, burgers with bacon and hash browns. I would have to wonder if we weren't getting fat.

@Sarahroo29 If you view movies made around the WWII period , everyone is thin looking . That was before the fast food chains came into being . The chains wanted to sell more product . Before WWII , a serving size cup of anything was 8 ounces . Now , a serving size drink starts at 16 ounces . You can also buy 32 ounce drinks . And they're loaded with sugar . And we've now learned that the sugar substitutes , also make you fat .

@Cast1es I know, I sell fast food for a job.

in 1999 I went from 156 kgs to 95kgs (343pounds to 209) in about 5 months, each week I would buy a new set of clothes for work, tight, a week later they were too loose and I would do it again. Eventually I got it down to 92 (202) another 4 and I would have been technically underweight for my height. Body fat was down to 8%. I kept it off for about 7 years, since it has slowly come back. Steamed vegetables, 80 klm (50 mile) cycle before work each day, another 30 after work, followed by 15 klm walk into the night, weekends were surfing and roller blading Friday and Saturday nights. Motivation was a super hot girl at work who accepted me at my worst and I felt she deserved better. Pity she cheated on me after I had lost all the weight.

Sorry to hear.

It never works when you do it for someone else. They will never really appreciate your efforts. You have to do it for yourself. ????

About 4 years ago I was just under 300 lbs. I started being more active and eating better. I've been hovering around 220 for the past 3 years. I doubt that I'll ever be skinny, but I feel good and I can keep up with my kids.

Good.

Thanks!@Sarahroo29

@LEPeff Yep.

I lost 50 lbs when I was sick with leukemia and heart failure. Everyone said I looked emaciated at 119 ibs-I'm 5'5". I had been on steroids which had caused me to gain weight. Just saw my doctor before I left on vacation and she told me I looked the healthiest I have been in 6 years.

Excellent.

I've lost almost 100 lbs. in the last three years. A combination of illness and dietary changes. Before that, I'd weighed 300 lbs. and had been at that weight for three decades since ballooning up in my 20's. It's been an amazing transformation, both inside and out, and I'd like to continue to lose about another 50 lbs. I'll never be model-thin, I was always curvy even when I was young before gaining weight; even so, I always hated my body. Learning to appreciate myself even when I was heavy has ironically stopped me from going to food to sooth myself and thus the weight started to drop off. Lost about 50 lbs. already until I got diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma last year, and after treatment and remission I lost another 50 lbs... I feel like a different person, first time in decades.

Good for you.

Well...I’ve lost 65 pounds alone just from doing home workout dvds and eating right.

Good job.

Honest about it? what will be the point if your mind does not change. Physical transformation is for the eyes... it is your brain where everything of real value is so if your mind not there.... your mind need to be there.

@Donotbelieve Now you are talking transformation with capital T. Congratulations.

Yes.

@sarahjustme I heard many people that lose large amount of weight... gain that weight back within a year because their mind never changed. I am sure you had seen them. Weight lost is Temporary unless your mind decides to make it Permanent.

@GipsyOfNewSpain My stomach shrank when I lost the weight 1.5 years ago. I don't eat a ton now. Enough to not be hungry.

@Sarahroo29 That is the way... mind controlling body. You have to start young. Helps a lot... congratulations... keep doing it as long is what you want to do... just be happy... find your way to be happy.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Thanks.

Congratulations on your successful plan! I went down 60 on WW and kept off most of it; but I wouldn't say it was a transformation..

Good job.

I call it a transformation. I had long hair, then cut it short, and now I'm keeping it at my shoulders. I do think I look better now.

Congratulations on achieving your goals! I got really skinny after a bad break up years ago. I started gaining weight after about two years. I ended up gaining too much. I started working out again and now I'm almost at my goal. (I miss having a 6 pack).

Keep up the good work! You’ll get it back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.