Agnostic.com

12 2

SURGERY
Getting right knee replaced 22 Feb. I know it's become rather routine but still anxious (If you're not freaked out too easily check out the videos of this surgery online.) Am looking for your stories, support, empathy, sympathy, commiseration etc. about anything related. 😟

kmdskit3 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an old retired orthopedic nurse. Worked on a orthopedic floor for 21 years, and did sub acute rehab too. A lot of it depends on you. Keep your weight down (helps a lot with movement and healing) Eat healthy, no garbage fast foods, no smoking. Have to trust the ortho doc. After surgery as the staff helps you up and moving...the more you move the better. Pain pills are needed but remember constipating too. Drink a lot of fluids. If they ask you to go to Rehab...do it!!

I work in short term disability claims, I hear your story every day!! So good luck to you, do the PT! One of my coworkers has had her knees replaced and she schooled me in it good when she was training me. My knees aren't great, but they're gonna do for a while. And watch the drugs. Many people get hooked on opioids from surgeries like this. And the opioids cause constipation... Hope you recover quickly.

Thanks!

Hi Kindskit, Over the last 84 years I have had 3 whole knee replacements, [ no, I do not have 3 legs ! ] All have been a great success. There is nothing to fear as you will not be awake to know what is going on. The most uncomfortable problem , is the Phsyo. you have to get things back to normal and that is quite hard work but after a few months all will be forgotten, and you will be a new man. [ I won't say good luck as I am sure you won't need it ]

Thanks!

Have wondered about leg length. Did you ever have any problems from your legs being different lengths after knee replacement?

@kmdskit3 Never !!

Have a great friend who did and she older...she is doing great....so will you....

Ive known several people that had their knees done and the only one that had problems was an opiate abuser before she had it done and therefor had a resistance to the pain meds.

Just do the rehab properly. Good luck

Can't blame you for feeling anxious - surgery is never the most fun thing, no matter what it's for !

As you get closer , treat yourself kindly, and tap into your humor .

Fortunately, this procedure is now so common, doctors have had lots of practice !

Hang in, and know all of us here, will send you lots of "thoughts and prayers" ! (kidding !!!!)

😉 🙂

hang in there, man! I don't have experience with this particular type of surgery. Have a speedy recovery and trust your doctor!

Thanks!

A year ago December, had a knee replacement at age 74. 6 months later was hiking up to 5 miles a day up and down hill on our trip to Scotland. Need to start doing the movements (as directed by my surgeon) right away. And when cleared for PT, do as prescribed. Am quite happy with the result. Not much that I can't do, and the bone on bone pain is long gone. I do stay away from getting down on my knees. For gardening, I use a low bench. I did have the advantage that my wife had gone through hip replacement 6 months before I had surgery. We used the same surgeon, and think he is great. And my wife had recovered nicely. He was a military doctor and had two tours in Iraq.

Any problems with unequal leg length?

@kmdskit3 No problem, foot matches the other one. He got the alignment great. He had me get a leg scan and they premade the knee joint.

Going to ask my doctor about this. Thanks!

Hope all goes well. Good luck.

My roommate had a hip replaced in his late 40s (he's a former rugby-playing defacto carcrashexpert). He was in the hospital for 3 days. Used a walker for one. I was amazed by the speed of his recovery.

Dunno about knees, but it seems like technology, techniques, drugs, etc. are incredible these days. I would definitely err on the side of worrying less.

I've heard rehab from hip replacement is quicker than knee.

@kmdskit3 Yeah, that's what I was thinking

Well, I wish you a speedy recovery and best of wishes.

Know tons of people who had it done Very successfully. Also know a Few horror stories, including mine. Not sharing! Get/ keep your weight down, be true to your physical therapists!

Overall body weight dropped 60lbs. over the last 2 yrs. Fat loss greater than that because of increase in muscle mass. Will hit physical therapy hard but not looking forward to 8 wks. of opiates.

@witchymom Miss-typed. Corrected error.

@kmdskit3 ?!?! 8 weeks?!? I used them for 2 days and then a few more days at bedtime, occasionally one after phys.ther. in the first 2 weeks. IMO 8 weeks of opiates will turn you into an addict. Nor can you drive if taking opiates, i drove myself 19 miles one-way to my first post-op appointment. (10 days post op) Beware opiates, X-strengthTylenol works almost as well, and will not screw up your life!

Yeah, I'm seriously hoping I don't have to take too many opiates for too long.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.