Agnostic.com

18 8

Evolution is not just a theory, sad to say even on this site where I thought we all understood science, I had a reply to an ancient alien debunking post of mine. naturally, the same person who did not like that crack pot show debunked called evolution just a theory. why are these people on this site, did we all not join to get away from the uneducated?

MichaelSpinler 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Evolution is a theory. So is gravity.

But...Evolution is a theory. Gravity is also a theory. Scientific law takes a further steps that what we can prove in either evolution or gravity.

The real issue here Is when people say evolution is just a theory what they mean is evolution is just a hypothesis. A hypothesis is an idea you think of that you then want to prove or disprove. A theory is something that has been backed up with data and there is proof of just not definitive proof to be upgraded to a scientific law.

I continue to be astonished to find people who are critical thinkers in one area but somehow totally incapable of applying it somewhere else.

You know how it is Michael... people just got to say something....ugh!

@MichaelSpinler. Cool...

Haha, yes, I joined for the ability to speak my mind without religious zealots crucifying me.

@MichaelSpinler true, Michael.

It is a theory. It is a very good theory.

1. Explain that "theory" has different definitions in different contexts.

2. Watch them
    a. fail to understand, continue garbage
    b. refuse to understand, continue garbage
    c. understand, but fail to link concept and continue garbage
    d. understand, but undergo backlash effect and come back even harder with garbage
    e. understand, and concede; cease garbage (message me if this happens cause I wanna believe in miracles)

3. Decide if it's worth your time and effort to campaign for the appropriate use of "theory."

4. Drink.

I'm more inclined to to skip to step 4 after 1, maybe hang around for 2 and 3, but that bottle is staying with me.

@Cynical-lion For us introverts, it can sure help!

I absolutely hate the just a theory crowd. I’m so done arguing with theists and their lack of comprehension. Ugh, no, I’m not.... point them my way.... : /

I, too, get aggravated with those who insist that evolution is something to be debunked.

When people use to colloquial version and not the scientific version of theory, I want to slap them and tell them to either go back to high school science, or be honest and look up proper definitions. People with firm and fundamental understanding of science should never be making this kind of mistake, and my opinion on your scientific knowledge or intellectual honesty instantly lowers upon hearing that trite phrase.

Hell, it's not like you need to be some science major or professional to have a firm understanding of Evolution and its basis as a theory. Provided you know where to look, you can casually binge watch entire science lectures or easily digestible video segments on youtube, and let that knowledge over time seep in. And the more you watch, the more information you can cross reference with other content to sift out fact from fiction.

@MichaelSpinler My default response to the last real life idiot that pulled the theory bullshit was to go home and watch Aron Ra. I wasn't gonna waste any more time after 30 minutes of little progress. One of those 'brain pouring out their ears' skeptics, who have "open minds", and would question if my sources were reliable. I love Aron and his educational efforts, it's just a shame there are idiots who won't get past his appearance before listening to what he has to say.

Evolution is not just a theory, it is also fact in many cases, but it remains a theory as it relates to many things. Same with gravity, there are laws of gravity (I love maths) they allow us to calculate what will happen under certain circumstances, however, the why part is still theory.

Not sure if you are aware but the why part has taken a baby step forward regarding gravity.

[newscientist.com]

@kensmile4u Thanks for that, I had seen some and just looked through it, sadly, it is beyond me, I can only grasp little bits.

Some of us think we are always right and this site definitely has it's far share of those. I know I'm not the only one who's noticed people on this site who talk as if they are always correcting others. Maybe, it's just me?

Evolution is a theory.

The issue is that theory is used differently in science to that in general usage.

What is often needed is a dictionary. 🙂

There's always a few trolls that find their way into these sites. I'm not sure if Admin sorts them out, but you can try reporting the worst of the wankers and see what happens to them.

Admin tries but there are always those that slime their way through.

Have you noticed they all pointedly use the word Theory continuously?..they just don't, or won't, understand the meaning nor use of that word in particular. It bugs the fuck out of me..

@MichaelSpinler totally agree..

Everyone has a right to be here.

Helps keep you on your toes !

Actually, it is not a right. Admin can remove problem posters who abuse their privilege.

Sometimes, I think it is good that these people come here and spout off. It keeps us grounded and aware our ideas are not universally held..

@Dwight Unless someone causes a problem that's not likely

There are nitwits everywhere, my friend -- even among the educated. Standing as witness to that is the number of well educated people who are religious in the extreme, those who are sure we are being anally probed by aliens, those who buy astrology as a bona fide way to know what to do next, those who are extra careful with mirrors to avoid that seven years of bad luck, and people who say the Earth is flat. The list is much longer, but you get my drift.

I ignore them for the most part. Other times I jump on them with both feet.

@MichaelSpinler -- For your viewing pleasure....................

People believe what they want to believe. I always ask who gains (or think they have something to gain)? Unfortunately, these people have the podium and use stealth and bullying tactics to get through. Nothing has changed over the millennia.

I believe that every group, no matter what kind of group, there are always idiots, jerks and people who can't spell. It seems to be mandatory. Also I think this site lets anybody on so we do have people that even believe in god on this site. I don't know why they want to be here but they're here and personally I don't care if they're here but you'll always have people that are going to just make you crazy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.