Agnostic.com

11 10

Happy Waitangi day everyone!! (New Zealand day)
Its a beautiful day for a day off 🙂

The Treaty of Waitangi is considered New Zealand's founding document, an agreement between the Crown and Maori, the country's indigenous people.

It was signed on February 6, 1840, at Waitangi in the Far North, by Governor William Hobson, on behalf of Queen Victoria, and the Maori chiefs who gathered there on that day. Eventually, around 540 chiefs, or rangatira, signed the Treaty.

However, a number of chiefs challenged the Crown's right to rule and refused to add their names.

Sacha 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So how is the government with Aboriginals now? In America, it is still not equitable with Native Peoples. America needs a lot of work in its efforts for racial justice. How do you think it is in NZ?
Thanks for sharing your holiday. We have President’s Day coming up which is a holiday here. But we’re in the deep freeze where I live in New York State-16* Fahrenheit! Enjoy your holiday.

I will find you one of our resident Aussies to answer your question 🙂 Please stand by....

Wow!.... that's really interesting... thank you.

Waitomo Caves, Rotorua (smell of sulfur), Wellington....great memories from your country

Aotearoa

Rotorua smells like rotten eggs for a couple of days before you get used to it. They call it Rotovegas, haha. I don't know why. Wellington is my home town 🙂

@Sacha I had great time in NZ

It was sunny out 1 hr ago. The clouds just rolled in and the temperature just dropped. It's going to be cold and overcast tomorrow. 40°.

Happy Waitangi Day! BBQ is going, the beers are cooling...time to relax and enjoy.

Yay, beautiful weather for a BBQ! enjoy! 🙂

Happy Waitangi Day to you! what a great name for a holiday.

Can we get a haka to go with this post? Oh, and Happy Waitangi to you.

Have yourself a whole lot of them

🙂

@Sacha -- Many thanks. That was wonderful. I especially enjoyed the final tribute to Foley haka. Incredible.

Congratulations and may you enjoy the day... beautiful it is.

As They all should have refused..

Enjoy, you guys are awesome, loved it when marriage equality was approved and Parliament burst out in song, pity our pollies are mostly such wankers this side of the trench.

Kiwi Power rules!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.