Agnostic.com

23 2

How Do You Say It? Keep adding to the list...

A few examples of how I say things...
Syrup - seer'up
Pecan - pee'can
Soft drink - soda water or pop

SleeplessInTexas 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hahahahahahahahahahah ! I CAN NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION , will be here for 100 yrs ???????
I can't pronounce many words in English , accent is heavy . Therefore :
A ship ( w my accent turns to sheep)= always say : boat
Sheets ( turn to shits ) therefore , always = linen
Vehicle ( just ain't happening ) , always = car .
Sheep ( turns to ship ), therefore , always = goat .

I have not ate Chinese delivery in years . Anytime I tried to order , f it ! They don't understand me , and I don't understand them . And then I visited the South . Forgot the English I knew and more confusion than ever !!!
?????

I thought it hilarious when my Korean teacher would say, "Everyone take one of these shits . . ."

You're in the south and you mispronounce pecan?!?!

Coffee - covfefe

Fake news - the truth

A good friend of mine says covfefe.

That is sooooo funny.?

We are as Churchill said divided by a common language. Whilst most american pronunciations make sense* some do not. For example "pleasure" pronounced please-ure to which I reply at your lees-ure.

*I am reminded of an Alastair Cooke essay on George Bernard Shaw. He was on the BBC committee for correct pronunciations of words when the subject of canine as in teeth came up. Most of the BBC guys wanted it as can -nine but Shaw said that his dentist pronounced it as cay-nine. When questioned they asked "Is your dentist American?" To which he replied "Yes he his. Thats why I have such good teeth". Shaw held the day.

How about "damater" in the salad and on burgers.

Seer'up, peh'cahn, soda
Ke'chup, toe'may'toe, wah'der, li'berry, in'stress'ting, prah'ses, bay'gl, car'mul, loy'yer, uh'dolt

When I first moved to St. Louis, I heard people talking about their kitchen "zinks"..... WTH?

The"hood"=St Louis, lol

Reminds me of when I first moved to Duluth and the cashier asked me if I wanted a 'beyg.' Took me far too long to realise they meant 'bag.'

I like pee can. In fact, I have a pee can. A funny one for me was always soda water. Is it soda or is it water? IDK.

Here people use like for lack, as in "I only like two days to finish the job, and he pulled me off (or off'n) it."
Throwin' an n on stuff seems haphazard. "Not'n yet, wait a spell".
Yes is just Yee.

All in all it's interesting. No need for the whole country to be uniform.

Here's 2 you Americans get wrong almost continuously; ALUMINIUM, not ' Aluminum' and NUCLEAR, not Nucular.

I actually say aluminium. I also say data - "day'tah." I blame a lot of my word pronunciation on my British nanny. I had to be put in speech therapy in school to attempt to break me out of the British accent.

@SleeplessInTexas Shit, you mean they actually exert pressure on kids at school to change their accent over in America?

'sirrup', 'pe-CAWN', and I call soft drinks 'soda' unless I'm after something specific.

Pee-cahn. Like the wrath of pecahn or something.
What about bagel? I always said bag-el. Apparently it's bay-gle.

Syrup - Sir-Up'
Pecan- Pe Cahn'
Soft Drink - Soda (Pop as a kid)
SUBWAY type sandwich - Sub

I intentionally mispronounce or use made up words. Often.

Nice day? It’s “sunly”
Cheese? That’s “Chiz”
It cost $100? That a hundred bugs and I would get it from my walle (the t is silent)

My friend and family are well used to it, but everyone else kind of puzzles over it.

Rhode Islandese:
jeetjet? = Did you eat yet?
answer: nojoo? = no, did you?

Nahfuhnuthinbut= not for nothing but...

Btw Syrup - seer'up and Pecan - pee'can are how us English say then too.

When I first moved down here to Texas, I met a lady that loved Jordan Almonds and I remember telling her how much I love them too. She corrected me telling me it's pronounced AL monds. So I practiced giving the word the long AL sound then adding the monds.....LOL

Shicka shame= damn shame
Ice Box= Fridge
Creek=Crick
house=heaouse
pills he/she can't swallow= shoot em dead

ˈsɪrəp
pi-ˈkän
soda and never pop!

i was born in philly and my folks had heavy joisey/philly accents. i also studied speech and acting. so i say "can" you help me to rhyme with "cat" or "hat" (for most americans or brits) but open this "can" to rhyme with "slam" for most americans, but not brits. go figure!

g

Herbs, we have herbs with a 'H' not herbs with ' ' lol 🙂

Herb with the H. Basil like bass'el. Champaign, we just say bubbly. I love the word bubbly. Makes me giggle.?

@SleeplessInTexas Everyone should call it bubbly.

In English, with a mix of Portuguese and Irish accent.

Tornado - tar nay do, tur nah do

How my name is pronounced sometimes:
Guillermo - Guer mo, grill mo, jer mo, goo ler mo!!! But I love my name!

not gee yer mo?

g

@genessa I'm sure that one too! LOL

@Ggall002 but how do YOU say it?

g

@genessa use a hard "g" like gee yer mo.

Have u ever seen the Jimmy Kimmel talk show? One of his co-workers has the same name! LOL

@Ggall002 no, sorry, i have not. so i still don't know.

g

@genessa I just updated last message. See above! May help. LOL

@Ggall002 that's what i SAID rofl! gee yer mo! by the way, genessa also starts with a hard gee.

g

@genessa that's a cool and unique name. Is there a story behind it? I was named after my Mama. Guess they wanted a girl!!! LOL

@Ggall002 thanks! genessa is my hebrew first name. i had it before i was given my english first name, gail (also hard g) and gail is not a translation of genessa; i think mom and dad just wanted a "g" name, as one of my great-grandmothers was named genessa. genessa probably derives from genesis. gail just means joy or happiness.

g

@Ggall002 oh i meant to mention too that had i been a boy i'd have been named gary, or so i was frequently assured. i don't know what they would have done about my obviously female hebrew name.

g

@genessa Well that's cool! Bet ur parents are not too happy with u being Agnostic or Atheist!

@Ggall002 well, they're dead now, but to tell you the truth, i was raised secularly and they never discussed religion. there was culture of course. we went to bar mitzvahs and weddings and funerals. we didn't go to shul. i think when i was 14 and decided to find out what it was all about and began to go to shul, they were slightly amused, but they never tried to stop (or encourage) me. a year later i was an atheist and i haven't looked back, but i was not rebelling against religion. i still find judaism interesting and some bits of it even cool. not the god bit of course lol. anyway, when i grew up and left home and was three thousand miles from my parents, someone asked me if my folks believed in god. i couldn't answer. i had no idea! so i called long distance and asked. the conversation went something like this:

mom: hello?
me: hi mom. do you believe in god?
mom: you called long distance to ask me THAT?
me: yep. do you?
mom: i don't know. let me think. hmm. i think i do.
me: okay. put dad on.
dad: hello?
me: hi dad. do you believe in god?
dad: you called long distance to ask me THAT?
me: yep. do you?
dad: i... i think i don't.
me: okay. thanks dad,
dad: is everything okay?
me: yep talk to you later! love you!
dad: love you. bye.

that's how important religion was in my family! and when i became an atheist, it never even occurred to me to mention it to them. i didn't think they'd be interested. i mean i just didn't give it any thought at all. if they'd asked, which they never did, i'd have told them. i doubt they'd have been upset.

g

@genessa LMAO, That's a great story! Especially ur parents long distance calls!!! My Mama knows my leanings and accepts me for me! She is the salt of the earth. Anyway, I will still go to a mass sometimes for real special occasions. I also find some things interesting in the bible, but the religion became too hypocritically obvious over the years to me!!!

@genessa I am following u now. Why no message option for u?

@Ggall002 i don't know. i have received messages. some people were complaining about messaging difficulties earlier; maybe you're being affected as well? i have not disabled them or anything.

g

@Ggall002 your mom sounds cool 🙂)

i went to a christmas mass with friends, once, to hear the music. mass was... long.

g

@genessa Yeah I can only follow u, but no option to message or send a smile! Yes, I love my Mama!!! Even today, if she asked me to go to a mass, I obey. I do like the music, it's the rest of the mass that makes it sooooooooooo long! LOL

@Ggall002 yep! plus midnight... geez i was tired!

g

@genessa here a funny, I also like looking at a mass crowd while thinking,"how can I get laid and still be honest!!!!" Yes I'm horrible! LMAO

@Ggall002 oh i think i see what happened. i have community only set on messages. i got a very weird communication, you see. and i really am only here for the community.

g

@genessa I see, well I just have to be on the lookout for u in the community posts!

@Ggall002 lol i am all over the place. well almost all!

but you know i have not changed my settings and that guy who bothered me was "open to meeting women" -- and he certainly messaged me. oh maybe it was because i'm a greeter. maybe responding to a greeting bypasses that setting.

g

@Ggall002 pardon us, sleepless -- we can't message so we're taking advantage of your post, which i will answer in a moment! thing (my initial too obviously), i checked your page again and there is no message link there either!

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:213894
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.