Agnostic.com

48 3

Have you done the Myers Briggs?

Iv started noticing it more often on other dating websites and even facebook that people are putting there personality type up. Iv started doing the same as a way to help find more like minded people, as if finding people who are non religious wasn't hard enough.

So have any of you taken this test as well or thought about putting your personality type up on your profiles?

• 58 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 6 votes
BABSDAGGER 5 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Other: I have no idea what it is or where to get it, but seem to be meeting guys just fine without it.

Carin Level 8 Nov 4, 2018

Curiosity got the best of me after reading the comments so I took the test--it says I'm a Mediator & we are only 4% of the population so often end up being (or feeling) misunderstood. The letters it gave me are INFP-T.

@Carin could you phrase that differently? I'm not following you!

@Pete66 The test results they gave me included those letters but I don't know what they mean. Mediator seems to be one of the names that they assign to the various categories of people. I never heard about this till today so you'd get a way better understanding of it from a quick computer search.

@Carin Oh dear! That was British humour based on your post about feeling misunderstood! πŸ˜‰

@Pete66 Not you--I'm just dense. I actually really love British humor.

@Carin no problem I work in a team of mainly Eastern Europeans at the moment and find myself having to explain almost every joke I tell! πŸ˜€

@Pete66 I'm sure it wouldn't have gone over my head face to face.

@Carin yes a lot is in the facial expressions! πŸ˜€

My Myers-Briggs result: OMFG.

The problem is, too many people are using that arbitrary set of letters in lieu of actually writing anything in their dating profile. Seriously, if I have to Google your damn letters I'm just swiping left and moving on.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 3, 2018

Personality type is not a singularly defining attribute, i agree. Much more should be on a persons profile, but I have not personally come across this as a problem. Have you seen examples of this very often that you say this?

That's what INTJ means.
Introversion + Intuition + Thinking + Judging
Vision oriented. Quietly innovative. Insightful. Conceptual. Logical. Seeks understanding. Critical. Decisive. Independent. Determined. Pursues competence, improvement.

@BABSDAGGER yes. I would say roughly half of the profiles I've seen on ok cupid have this, usually preceded by the words "super rare". Sorry, but a self administered test taken on the internet doesn't mean all that much.

@SleeplessInTexas I believe this is what my test revealed these letters

So many people don't know what it is. And putting up your love languages is better.

IN[F/T]P; maybe 55% F, 45% T.

The world is hard on "Healers"/"Idealists". Luckily, I've enough "Logician"/"Thinker" in me that I can just say "Fuck it, I'mma go read a book"--and that takes care of everything. πŸ˜›

I think the MBTI can be fun, but I don't put much stock in it. For me a lot of it seemed spot on, but for some friends who've taken the test it's felt more like an enhanced horoscope reading.

The 16 Personalities [16personalities.com] website has a free test and adds another dimension β€” assertive vs. turbulent (something missing from the traditional MBTI) β€” and it seems as good as I remember the MBTI in terms of quality and consistency.

As a bit of fun or as an icebreaker, I think it's fine. I wouldn't, however, base and serious decisions on it, judge people based on type, or try to predict anything of value based on results. (I've consistently tested as INTJ-T, in case anyone is curious.)

Thirty years ago, the employees of the department I worked all took the Meyers Briggs as a team building exercise. My results determined me to be an ENTP. A couple years ago,, I was curious. It's said ones personality type never changes; but so much has changed in my life....in fact, nearly everything has changed., it seemed unlikely the results would be the same.if I retested at this stage of the game. I went online & also found the site "16 Personalities" and took their test. Results? ENTP.- The Debator. I guess it makes sense. No matter what experiences one has over the years, the heartwarmers and heartbreakers alike; no matter how circumstances change, an individuals core being remains. (or something like that...lol) I thought it interesting and read more about it. I watched a You Tube Video made by a young woman , who is from Finland. I felt like that girl, from the other side of the plant had been following me around my whole life, as she described to a T exactly the things that I hate....and have openly talked about forever. She described me to a T. It was freaky. I got a few of my friends to take the test. My friend Chuck was visiting me for a few days. He took the test. I printed his ESTJ results, and he declared, "I'm not interested. I don't care about that mumbo jumbo BS. It's all crap...and I am not wasting my time." I said, "Fine. No big deal." I put the papers in a folder, put the folder in my desk and I went to bed. I got up the next day. went to get something else from my desk and noticed the folder was gone. I saw it on the coffee table near the couch he had slept Amused, I asked, "Did you read that stuff?" In a bored voice, he said, "Yeah. It was just a bunch of BS." I said, "Okay." He looked at me and quickly said, "No. not okay. OMG...it was crazy. It described me totally. I could't believe it. How the hell do you do that?" I laughed & told him that ENTP described me as well...and I wasn't sure the formula used. I was seeing, for a time, a INFP male. When we first got together, he stated "The most important thing in a relationship is open, honest, communication. Then refused to talk to me. The Meyers Briggs laid out the problems that ENTP's & INFP's can encounter when trying to communicate. I thought that might help in resolving the conflict, but two people have to both make some sort of effort to have it work out. That didn't happen. I do feel it can be used to help to help people understand others.

ISTJ But this means no more than doing the 'What house am I in at Hogwarts', which was Ravenclaw by the way πŸ™‚

It's made up nonsense. Might as well use crystals or horoscopes.

Much in the popular realm is, just as you might as well blame dinosaur eggs for global warming, in the eyes of the ignorant masses. Original drafts not made up tho.

@neutralite The original made up documentation relies entirely on observations and memories. Fails even the most basic control.Cannot predict a result with accuracy. And,as it relies on the honesty of the subject interviewed, can't be proven.
I'm pretty strict with crackpot stuff. I fail it on first invalid piece to save wasting time on it.

This test is like horoscopes... Not credible at all...

Tests have false positive rates but the underlying psychology...a science...is real and actually quite advanced this century. There are competing methodologies like hexaco that are also quite credible at all.

Whether you believe the results or not, it's just a snapshot in time and may have no reference to who you are now. It's better to get to know someone by reading their posts, that will tell you who they think they are.

Each time I take it, a few of the letters change, so I don’t put stock in it.

UUNJ Level 8 Nov 3, 2018

I’ve seen no evidence that this is anymore useful than following star signs.

Took it during undergraduate college for a study group, and again, for the same reason, in graduate school. First time I was ENTJ, second time I was right at the border of ENTJ and INTJ.

Hordo Level 6 Nov 3, 2018

Haven't taken the test. Won't take the test.
Just more arbitrary labels that really don't mean much of anything.
I'm not here for dating anyway.
πŸ˜€

If everything were poorly defined nothing would be distinguishable from anything else, labels give meaning and permanence to the world.

@BABSDAGGER "Meaning" is subjective, and there is NO "permanence" to anything, to this world, or anything related to it. All life is finite on this rock.

@KKGator I agree with you there are too many labels and they are so inaccurate I feel that labels are just a lazy way of dealing with things so you don't have to think for your self

@AmmaRE007 I think you are exactly correct. Slap a label on it and then you don't have to bother with any more examination.

I have done it a couple of times and am an INTJ/P

Ditto!

csjoseph.life (I found via youtube) is an excellent source of Jungian analytic psychology beyond tests, which are mediocre.

INFJ.

The Myers-Briggs test has been found not to be an accurate gauge of personality type. It's basically meaningless.

I've taken it several times in my life and can't tell you what I was labeled or even if they all came out the same.

Since this is something that we tally on ourselves, I would say that the bias is too difficult to overcome for most people. I would say we are far too likely to answer as we wish we are rather than how we actually are.

I did it, for β€œfun.” I don’t put that much stock in it so I don’t put it on any profiles.

As an update, I have now read why so many of you have called this out for being without merit.

I just heard on the "Skeptic's Guide to the Universe" Group where they said the times harry potter sorting hat was likely more accurate lmao

[amp.timeinc.net]

While I do not put much weight into "tests," I have to admit this one feels pretty accurate. INTJ

Should come with the same product warning as horoscopes and psychics: β€œFor entertainment purposes only.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:215139
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.