Agnostic.com

20 10

How do you feel about manners and common decency?

I am of the opinion that it is good to treat others how you would like to be treated. I'm not all soft, I will defend myself and my loved ones and I am not afraid of a good ol' brawl. But I try to think of how my actions will affect others. I clean up after myself at home as well as in public areas (hotels, restaurants, theaters), I hold doors for folks. I say pardon me when passing in front of someone in the grocery isle. I offer to help folks I see struggling with a chore as I walk by. I offer my seat on the bus to someone who looks like they are weary. I don't know, maybe it's all just very silly of me. I am just trying to get an idea as to weather or not i am way off track or what? Oh! And I'm not saying that if you don't do these things you are bad or something. I am curious as to how the other shoe fits. I would like your perspective as well.

Byrd 7 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you were raised right, have a shred of decency and fairness.... I think everyone should do all of these things that you describe. I think it's pretty simple. Pull your weight (or at least as much as you can), clean up after yourself, be respectful and courteous to others, offer help when you see that it is needed. I have simplified it to... be kind, reduce pain and suffering and most importantly, don't be a dick. Something that I add from my farmboy roots and lineage is that none of us own anything. We are simply here borrowing everything, during the time that we exist. Be a good steward of the land, your environment, of your animals and your fellow man. Common decency is much like common sense..... it seems to be less and less common. I commend you for your efforts.

The world today seems to lack such positive character and morality.

If you look for it, you'll find that it still exists.

Very, very, important.

"Manners maketh the man."
-Some old British guy

Oh my golly! That's how I quote every person ever! I can never remember names.

@Byrd
Ha I'm terrible with names too!

Sounds to me like you're a decent, loving person. Belief or non-belief in a God should have no bearing in how you treat others. Keep on doin what you're doin ?

Manners are important in society., i think how one is raised plays a role in the aquisition of good manners. Good manners create a better world for everyone.

I share all your stated perspectives and behavioural traits with a conditional exception: When I encounter a person that asserts nonsense as facts or does not respect truth, or others, I do not always present a polite or kind disposition towards their behavior or assertions.

It's very important and I wish there was more of it in the world

I feel like it's important. As to "manners," each person is going to interpret that a little differently, but if we LEAD with: be kind to others; imagine ways you can do good for others, even if it's just a smile. If we start there, then we will start doing all that other stuff (I think).

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.
~ Socrates

I do these things as well. I think they are a normal way to behave as an adult in society. I teach my sons to behave this way also.

Doing little things like that makes the world a better place.

Jnei Level 8 Nov 5, 2018

You're not off track. Being kind, courteous, and polite never go out of date in my book.

Behind you all the way..Good manners and common courtesy cost nothing and if present ..are a reflection of good up bringing...

Nuff said!

Oh I'm with you Byrd! Especially in today's political environment! So much is lost to us when we treat or are treated like crap or rudely! That is all!!!

It's a better world if (within a culture) we can agree and abide by social norms rooted in kindness.

I consider a person who is respectful, thoughtful and considerate of others, to be a superior human being.

I'm for them all the way.

Kindness and thoughtfulness towed others is the only way I know how to behave.

you are right on track, unfortunately we are tending to become a me before you society.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:216152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.