Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK The Unsettling Sound Of Tritones, The Devil's Interval : NPR

Halloween week subject.... also interestingly posted on this Agnostic website: The Devil's interval... mooowaa haha!!

Everyone knows the sounds of Halloween: creaky floorboards, howling winds, the amplified sound of a beating heart. But back in the day, the devil was said to exist in a particular musical tone. For centuries, it was called the devil's interval — or, in Latin, diabolus in musica. In music theory, it's called the "tritone" because it's made of three whole steps.

"The reason it's unsettling is that it's ambiguous, unresolved," says Gerald Moshell, Professor of Music at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. "It wants to go somewhere. It wants to settle either here, or [there]. You don't know where it'll go, but it can't stop where it is."

There used to be rules against writing music that contained this interval. Moshell says that during the Renaissance, all music had one purpose: to be beautiful and express the majesty of God. Anything otherwise was studiously avoided. But once music was no longer shackled to the church, it was free to express all kinds of tension. The devil's interval was ideal for that.

From classical to jazz to rock and even Broadway musicals, the tritone conveys feelings ranging from forbidden love and longing to fear and defiance. Listen below to a selection of songs that contain this unsettling tritone and hear the radio version at the audio link above.

Lukian 8 Nov 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know nothing of music theory but this piece by Miles is brilliant. Much of the music for the 40's and 50's film noir is this 'dark' jazz. All I know is I LOVE it.

Takes me back to the days of my 16th century composition class...

A few weeks ago I found a college essay I wrote on media effects theory including the tri tone as an example. It sprung from Aristotles idea of ethos: that music and art has an inherent moral value that it bestows upon the observer. There are all kinds of other rules for composing sacred music for the church. The Amen cadence being sort of the oppsite example of a holy resolution.

When Stravinsky's Rites of Spring debuted in paris with its dissonant score and violent angular ballet moves unlike anyone had seen, simulaging a pagan sacrifice, people rioted out of being offended and the papers blamed the music for possessing them with ill intent.

This was still happening in the 20th century, with conservatives blaming the beatles early use of distortion in Helter Skelter for Manson's murder cult. Then again people blamed Marilyn Manson and hard rap and video game violence, the matrix etc for Columbine and subsequent school shootings. My hypothesis was that a violent taste in media and violent behavior patterns in life are correlative at best. No evidence supports these things being causation for violence.

thanks for correctly using the term hypothesis instead of theory. It's a pet peeve on mine.

@Elganned yep pretty much what I was gettin at in the essay. Not everyone who likes hard music is fucked in the head but those that are probably do like harder/darker music/art in general.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:216218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.