Agnostic.com

25 2

I have a question for both believers and unbelievers. If God Himself appeared to you and told you that He did not exist, would you believe Him?

AxeElf 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How would I know it was god?

Why would God need a starship?

I wouldn't believe God would say he didn't exist so yes I was believe him@AxeElf

If God showed himself via Jesus then in my opinion that was half-assed @AxeElf

@ AxeElf, If He brought Santa Claus, riding a unicorn, who in turn is feeding his pet dragon the Easter bunny, whilst snap chatting with the tooth fairy...

What is the point of the question? If "God" told us that he "did exist" might make sense as a question, to see if atheists would believe if confronted by "God". But this question makes no sense. But if you want an answer, mine would be: "Well God, which "God" aren't you?" Ask a silly... get a silly...

@AxeElf Don't you mean "God is telling me my conception of Him is WRONG?" Surely your conception of him EXISTS, because it's your conception. But the whole conversation is surreal and incomprehensibly absurd, to think that a God would say that. But, hey, it's your fantasy man.

@AxeElf. Which God? You keep saying God, but they are at least 3,000 of them, so we do need to know which one you've decided is true, or has allowed you to think is true.

@AxeElf. Oh I'm being silly? Ok. So one God with 3,000 names, and 3,000 different conflicting theologies, over which people fight and die. I get it now. I'm beginning to think it's my leg you're pulling. 🙂

[Humans experiencing God are like blind men trying to comprehend an elephant and only being able to experience a very limited piece.]
Although, according to one group of people, the elephant WANTS humans to know it is an elephant, and he can speak, and is wise, and made humans.
And it is vital to each human avoiding eternal punishment that they know and accept this is an elephant, not a tree trunk, wall, snake or spear.
But, and this confuses me, the elephant has stopped talking or proving it is an elephant, and only every spoke to people in one small part of the world, asking those people to tell the rest of the world.

If we can't comprehend God, it seems like a mistake in our creation, one which an omnipotent being has the power to fix, with a snap of his fingers, next Wednesday.
Same as we could all be born speaking a language and able to read, so everyone could read God's single definitive Holy Book. Which God could have appear next to each new born baby, in the language they inherently speak and read.

I would take another drink of absynth, eat some more peyote, then calmly wait for the next hallucination.

I have been waiting for the burning bush for twenty + years. I think Moses was an Agnostic.

There's no proof still ?
Makes no sense.

You mean "that he did exist"? That's a difficult question. I would still be skeptical whether it's hallucination or not. It will more convincing if God appears to a group and the probability of everyone in the group hallucinating at the same time is close to zero

obis Level 6 Feb 7, 2018

I don't exist either

Which is quicker, to Brooklyn or by bus?

No, I would do exactly what I would do in the face of a zombie apocalypse. ie. Go to bed till the drugs I had taken had worn off.

So something, someone, some mist, a potato.... comes up to me says "I'm not God." Well my thoughts would be good for you cus being a God sounds like a lot of work.

Oxymoron ?

I see a paradox there.

@AxeElf Shoot him and if he dies he's not god.... lol

Willing to believe anything, given appropriate evidence.
The more extraordinary the claim, the more extraordinary the evidence required.

So, if God appears before me, that would be good proof he exists. If he said he did not exist, I would ask him to clarify. Does he mean he didn't a year, month or minute ago? or that once he vanishes he won't?
Happy to accept his word that once he vanishes he doesn't exist. But would seem a stupid thing to do.

Would ask why, if it is important that we believe, and He made us, why not just make us to inherently believe? Or simply have His holy book appear in the hand of anyone who asks, in their own language, and make every human naturally literate.
Or have us all speak the one language.
And why, when western people reached the Americas and Africa and Asia, didn't they find the people there already had the true religion and copies of the holy book? Why only give it to one tiny group in one part of the universe?

Allan Level 5 Feb 8, 2018

In the book Illusions by Richard Bach, he subtitles it as the "adventures of a reluctant Messiah"
the messiah received a word or command from god. The messiah approached the people and asked what they would do if god gave them a commandment, They all would of course follow god and with that the Messiah said he quits. God told him to be happy and that was the only commandment. Any one can be their own god if they are happy

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

I actually told one of those people that knocked on my door to tell me about god's love for me that if god wants me to believe that he exists, he has to appear to me and tell me himself because I do not want to hear it secondhand from a messenger who has never met him.

I would have to follow my gut on that one, but not until it appeared at my door. When I was a kid I thought that God looked like George Washington.

As Scatman Crothers once said "you just put some shit on my mind."

Is this apparition saying "I do not exist" or "God does not exist"?

no, I wouldn't.

@AxeElf how do I know the thing telling me its the real god is the real god whatever it looks like or whatever it does? I mean really if it did too many amazing things in front of me to prove it I would probably have another breakdown. I could well shit myself but I still wouldn't believe it.What does it look like? I could tell you im God.

yes for sure

If God was standing in front of me telling me that he doesn't exist then, wouldn't that make God a liar? Isn't Satan supposed to be the liar?

Duke Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

So if someone who might not exist tells me he doesn't exist...

That was a quick ride on a mental moebius strip.

Who?

Yep, it agrees with my belief system, so I would be comfortable with it and God wouldn't lie, especially about something like that.

@AxeElf Not so much that I believe god, more that I would be happy to continue on merrily in my disbelief and write god off as a figment of my imagination, it's not as if my senses haven't lied to me before. I tend not to trust them these days.

ahhh now you've got me.

It could not happen

@AxeElf I don't want to insult you. I have an open mind. Fairytales have happy ending

@AxeElf I don't want to insult you. I have an open mind. Fairytales have happy ending

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.