Agnostic.com

11 1

Does Everyone Remember Where They Were, When They Got the News Back in 2016

I was watching this on the news coverage!

twshield 8 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I work in an school that serves mostly Native Americans, pk - (at that time) grade 8. The following day many kids did not make it to school. Others told me how scared they were to come to school because tRump won.

@twshield It really is. Several kids told me how they had spent the night crying. I told them they were not alone. Most teachers were less then happy. Two (hard-core (Naoh's ark is real) theists/Republican teachers were very happy that day.

@twshield I thank you very much. I only spend about half of my time as a teacher as I also maintain the computers/websites etc. I have the highest degree of respect for medical doctors such as yourself.

@twshield Working with cancer, Wow. My hat is off to you.

A good friend is a hospice nurse. She occasionally comes over (my house is quieter then hers) to chart and talks about the procedures used to make the final stages of life most tolerable. I don't think I could do what she does. Think she attended seven death last week.

Several of my past students have died during or shortly after school (accident and suicide), been incarcerated, or met with very unpleasant outcomes. In early years (10 years teaching on a Native American reservation) I unofficially adopted the role of a counsellor (only person in their lives some of the kids could trust). Their life stories have had a great influence in defining who I am. In the early years I used community band, orchestra, theater (actor) and some carpentry helped a friend farm on weekends then purchased a few acres and started a construction project) Those diversions allowed me to balance my profound empathy (that would occasionally keep me up at night) for their stories of loss with other unrelated (enjoyable) activities. (driving a grain truck or tractor is much less stressful)

Occasionally students will come back with happy stories but several times from old students when they, as fully grown adults visit and say: "This time (grade think - 8) was the happiest time of my life." 😟
This quotation greatly bothers me as it impresses the need to make their time at the school not only a place for academic learning, but a place (and time) for them to enjoy life. A place for them to feel good about who they are, important and safe. That, and the sad reality that for some, this time may be the most enjoyable of their lives. I often feel the responsibility to make their live the most rewarding possible a rather heavy load.

I was lifting and watching the results on the TV's in my club between sets. Such a deep down feeling of dread in my gut. My gut was right.

No, it was too traumatic and I forgot.

With my Trump-supporting then-boyfriend.

I was stunned, and sick, and worried. I said, "What's going to happen to us?" He didn't understand why I was upset and anxious, and I think he was a little annoyed with me about it. (We broke up not long after.)

@twshield Did you catch the part where I said he was a Trump-supporter?? 😛

J/K. We had a great time for several years.
You don't know what you don't know about someone, until you get to know them well enough to find out. I don't regret a minute. 🙂

@twshield Sorry hope it wasn't a tremendous loss.

@EdEarl About 3 years, which is basically my average. There seems to be something about 3-4 years and how well you get to know someone in that time. Could also be something about random chance and the amount of time it takes to have the opportunity to see someone go through a trauma (loss of loved one, loss of job, etc.) which is what--its been said--you need to observe before you can really know who someone is...

@stinkeye_a That seems about right. It takes us about three years to get over a monogamous mate. So, three years seems about right, until the spark is gone or one decides a relationship will last.

In bed staring at my phone in disbelief. Utter disbelief.

I was on a trip somewhere, I forget where. I returned to the island that day and it seems half the island was in the Community Center prepared to celebrate. I wasn't so sure but when I returned there was a dark cloud hanging over the place so I knew the unspeakable had happened.

Had been called in to work that night. I will always remember the next morning how upset my sons were as they asked me if the evil man was going to deport me.

I was at a friend's house watching movies. Checked my phone and after the surprise, went to Facebook to watch heads explode. I'm not a fan of Trump but it was nice watching several media outlets that had stated we would be stuck with Hillary have to say she didnt win.

One of the greatest moments of my life - complete elation!

gater Level 7 Nov 6, 2018

Next morning. Instant depression.

I was working that night. My friends and I went out to celebrate the next day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217304
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.