Agnostic.com

16 0

Has anybody else here practically abandoned social media?

I used to be really into Facebook and Twitter, but now I hardly use them at all.

GuitarDoctor 7 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the only social media site get on these days. Abandoned fb altogether.

Only have a FB account, mostly unused, but connect to family sometimes.

Not yet, but I am currently reading Jaron Lanier's manifesto, Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now, about how social media is destroying our souls and our society.

Here's an overview of Lanier's ten arguments:

1. You are losing your free will.
  2. Quitting social media is the most finely targeted way to resist the insanity of our times.
  3. Social media is making you into an asshole.
  4. Social media is undermining truth.
  5. Social media is making what you say meaningless.
  6. Social media is destroying your capacity for empathy.
  7. Social media is making you unhappy.
  8. Social media doesn't want you to have economic dignity.
  9. Social media is making politics impossible.
  10. Social media hates your soul.

Knowing these things helps some to counteract the behavior modification that the social media platforms engage in.

Here is Jaron Lanier on Sam Harris' Waking Up Podcast

[samharris.org]

We Facebook just for family fluff and I’m the president of a non profit so we keep that active.

Before signing on here, I didn't use social media much. I have a FB account to keep in touch with family; otherwise, none.

And here is another reason why I gave Facebook the boot.

I've gave Facebook the flick many months ago, partly because I got a few suspensions for ' upsetting' the Theist element on it and partially because I also disagreed strongly with groups such as thew Antivaxxers, the Anti Breast-feeding in public Groups and Anti-Abortionists.
At least with this group, Agnostic.com, I can think what I like, express my opinions, discuss/debate subjects or simply just get on-line and leave again whenever I want with feeling the need to explain time and time again that I have other things to do in my life besides being on F.B. 24/7.

I've really cut down on Facebook, since I joined this site, as I feel I can express myself more freely here fear of getting blasted for speaking my truth about subjects. However, I do turn to Facebook for community events, and updates on traffic, electricity outages, and emergency situations. I also get to see more photos of my grandchildren than the ones I get by text, and can also make sure my son is doing well by the types of things he posts.

I do have a business page on FB that I have to keep current, as that is how a few of my clients found me. For my business, I opened an IG account, but I haven't posted anything on it yet. I opened a Twitter account years ago and never posted anything on it either. Not enough time in the day to keep up with all other social media. It's work - This site is for pure enjoyment, not marketing, nor squabbles with family and friends.

What is IG?

@celticagent Instagram=IG for short.

I use Facebook to post vacation pictures for family. I go weeks without checking.

I just mostly switched from Facebook to here. I do still fidn posts here which I then share on Facebook though.

I think this website is considered "social media"

I refuse to join Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Spotify, Pinterest, Flickr or Tumblr. A massive waste of time.

Instead, I am just using Facebook and Agnostic.com.

Yup, great minds .....etc.

I only subscribe to Bill Maher, Lewis Black, George Carlin and Bart Erhman along with a few other renown academic scholars. I use FB Messenger which has some of my International Friends on board and for that main reason. I would like to abandon most save a few whom I don't hear much from but whose friendship I trust.

Yes, that's why I only come here, the general level of conversation and intellect on this site is far better than the average social media platform, though there are exception, but I tend to block them.

not me! this IS social media and here we are (and i am still on facebook too).

g

Exactly. I was just thinking “Isn’t this website/app social media?”

Yes. I abandoned it years ago after trying Myspace and Friendster. This site is one of the few I feel comfortable using.

Buxx Level 7 Nov 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217735
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.