Agnostic.com

19 9

QUESTION More Americans who consider themselves white are discovering they are part African through DNA tests - The Washington Post

If only we could make all white supremacists take DNA tests...

How would you feel if you thought you were white and found out you were mixed race?

shockwaverider 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There goes the 1 drop rule. It would not bother me in the slightest, I am that I am.

We are all of African descent regardless of our race.

JimG Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

I think all of us have either African and / or Neanderthal in our DNA. I only have Neanderthal, no African.

@shockwaverider I meant that in terms of evolution the first humans originated in Africa.

I would not be surprised, I would be fascinated. It's always interesting to learn new things about your ancestry.

My daughter has mixed race children- when she was pregnant with the second one her pos sire told her that she was a whore and disgusting and that if he could get away with it he would kill that fucking monkey (her son)

His family comes from WV so I bought both of us DNA tests. My daughter is praying that mine has no african dna but hers does.

Gotta admit if it does, I am gonna find a way to make sure he finds out. Fuck, I will take out a full page ad in his newspaper

...they didn’t appreciate my ad-blocker 😟

Cool!

Very interesting. Definitely not an expert, and couldn't access the entire article, but isn't 10,000 yrs. kind of fast for that degree of paling? Native American's skin color hasn't changed that much and they've been in the more wintery parts of North America longer than that. Have read recently that skin color can be adaptation to diet in addition to climate so maybe that's a factor. Excellent link!

Here’s what many many in Britain, thus many of us in the US may also find interesting:
[theguardian.com]

Varn Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

Did you post that at same time as me ..Spooky!!

@Tiffanny @Varn Maybe it's a sign... 🙂

@Tiffanny Yes ...I nearly said, “Jinks!”

Thanks. Was able to access entire article unlike @Tiffany . Found the info on diet and skin color so my question was answered.

@Varn Haha!

@Tiffanny ...haven’t used that one in awhile.. But I don’t think you’re allowed to talk till I ‘un Jinx you’ 🙂 ..I’ll let this one go ~

Was talking about DNA testing with my flatmate and just before christmas , went ahead and bought a test kit - the results are in - amazing, not at all what I was expecting- I actually think it should be mandatory -

Well, I've had my DNA done, and I'm not, but I was disappointed when I found that out. I think it's pretty lame that NO ONE in my lineage has ever crossed out of their own group and married someone of a different race. Cowards.

Nobody is a coward for doing what they think is best for them.

So funny that you think Americans got their black DNA from their ancestors being married!

I'd be happy. I know it isn't logical to feel this way, but sometimes I don't like being a middle aged white dude because they are, IMHO, the main ones screwing up the country.

"black" and "white" are artificial and superficial constructs. It's no surprise that in the USA people are discovering quite bit of mixing. That's what we do. I respect culture but know from the data that skin color is not really a valid distinguishing factor.

Exactly! Have you read Painter's book; 'The History of White People' ? Brilliant deep dive into the ever arbitrarily changing of 'whiteness'.

@kmdskit3 No, but thank you for the suggestion! I've added it to my list.

We all are a big mix...could care less...

My mom's family came over on the Mayflower so I wouldn't be at all surprised and it wouldn't bother me at all. If I knew they were slave owners I'd be bothered by that.

I'm descended from John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley--and Tilley's parents--all of whom were on the Mayflower. So my people have been here a really long time and they STILL only ever married other white people. I find this disappointing.

SteveB My ancestor was Samuel Eaton.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised.

I have a pretty racist grandmother whose family was originally from the Carolinas. They used to have a Tobacco Plantation and also claimed to have some Cherokee Indian descent. So she gets a DNA test and BOOM no Cherokee or Native descent but 4% African 🙂, it was hilarious.

In the immortal words of Jim Nabors, Surprise, Surprise, surprise!"

Do you know how many americans that consider themselves blacks are discovering they are part white through DNA tests?

No. Do you? But good point, probably many.

@shockwaverider More than whites.... more than whites.

Through 23andme I found that I have a trace of black DNA. It is interesting, but not a shock.

Spencer Wells has written on the fact that all of us have DNA from the first homosapiens who are black.

These are my summaries from Ancestry & 23andMe. The only surprise was that what my parents told me was true.

Also, Neanderthal variants = 288. This is more than 67% of 23andMe Customers. However, my Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than 4% of my overall DNA.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.