Agnostic.com

14 1

What are the biggest challenges you face as an atheist?

BusaBudz 5 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Presumptuous believers and nonbelievers are the biggest challenges. Most of them take it upon themselves to define me in their terms simply because I reject gods. They are uncomfortable if they are unable to group you in either positive or negative ways.

Biting my scathingly sarcastic tongue so as to not get unfriended by my religious Facebook friends.

@BusaBudz Yes, I find its a lot easier to engage with memes, and I have an arsenal ready to deploy as needed.

Not reacting with laughter when people start talking about the healing power of God

None. I live in England and work in nuclear power generation. Athiests all over the shop.

I'm jealous a few times over.

@CommonHuman sending strength and endurance in your direction, bud.

I'm an introvert so my biggest challenge as an atheist is to treat the relentless hordes of Christianity with respect when they ring on my door, or approach me in the street, with invitations to their sect-house.

Civility is important but that is annoying.

Getting into heaven

Well, I have the same challenges as anyone else, it doesn't change by the fact that I'm agnostic/atheist. Life doesn't get any different.

@Alone, I live in Ireland. The Church, after the scandal of paedophilia, is down on popularity. In Europe it's not a big deal being agnostic or atheist.

@BusaBudz, I don't know what it's like to be an agnostic / atheist in the US. In Sweden, if my information is correct (never been there) most people are actually atheists.

@BusaBudz, most of my friends are religious as well. My older brother used to be a Jeovah's Witness. I have a few Muslim friends. Some already accepted that you don't need to believe in God to be a good person and a useful member of society. I do respect their beliefs but I won't change on this matter. If people are respectful about this, it shouldn't be a problem either way.

@BusaBudz, very true.

I find that if I step back and look objectively at my life as an Atheist I see that it is a two edged sword. On the one hand I look at the world objectively, rationally and logically which I think gives me far greater peace of mind and also a competitive edge over the majority of people who have a world view that is skewed by religious delusions. On the other hand there are the problems associated with having to deal with a majority of the population who live their lives under a religious delusion where facts and logic don't always apply. I often find that it is what I imagine it would be like to be accidentally committed to an insane asylum even though you are perfectly sane, it can be extremely frustrating and often quite isolating to have to constantly deal with people that are technically insane from my perspective and at the same time try to establish relationships with the other wrongfully committed sane people (ie atheists and agnostics) who are in a similar boat as I am in; frustrated, isolated and often suspicious of other sane people because they can't be sure if I am sane or not. Technically speaking the majority perspective should rule so even though religion is a delusion, if the majority of people believe in it then they are setting the standard for what qualifies as sanity, ie the world is flat and the sun orbits the earth, stars are just light leaking through the curtain that divides us from the light of heaven, we are all born into original sin and are in constant mortal peril of eternal damnation if we don't spend our lives walking on eggshells in adherence to illogical religious doctrine, etc. etc.

@Gurahl and in tongues no less. 😉

@Gurahl I try to forget about it but once seen it cannot be unseen. 😀

I have no challenges do to my Atheism what so ever.

As an atheist? Nothing... As a woman, that's a different story...

As an athiest? None.

Dating. Using dating apps, I've noticed a few agnostic/atheist women (1 out of every 30-40) are out there, but haven't been able to "match" with them.

i've been an atheist since i was 15. i have not noticed its creating any special challenges in my life. i think it has probably relieved me of some.

g

Community, I have significant social issues and I know it would be beneficial for me to have a church community.

MsAl Level 8 Nov 9, 2018

@ProudMary Praise da Lard! LOL

@ProudMary Just a bad joke.

@ProudMary I've contemplated the same thing, my reticence is that in this area it is likely to be Christian light.

@ProudMary I've thought about it but I think the crowd might be a bit young and wooey for me. It might be good with my kids, but they go with their dad on Sundays.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:218928
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.