Agnostic.com

3 0

So, yesterday a friend’s SO posted a FB “it’s a fact” thing about a skeletal remain inside a falcon’s nest.

It was confirmed to be real bone, a majority of the scientifically illiterate thought it was a fetus, an alien, or a pixie— instead of, you know, a half-remaining skeleton of a bat, which falcons eat.

Besides religion in general, when have you gotten to say, “And Science and shit...” lately? Also accepted is, “And I would have gotten away with woo too if it weren’t for you pesky facts.”

ScientistV 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Apparently these pics have been floating around for a few years in different guises. Just a new hoax with old pics.

Here's the story... [danbaines.com]

Incidentally, I don't think that's a bat skeleton because the skull is too like that of a human, so my guess is it's a model created specifically for a hoax (plus everyone knows pixies use magic to repel falcons).

Jnei Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

Looked like a few species I saw.

@ScientistV I haven't seen many bat skeletons, so you might be correct. 🙂

@Jnei while I do presume the base of the meme saying bones were shown to BE bone, the confusing thing is the color which makes me think it’s covered in some other material which explains why the aural canals and sinus aren’t as visible. It looks like the skull without jaw, the nasal cavity aligns with some insect-eating bats, and the thin, long ribs look similar in that regard. Then the remains of the sacrum and coccyx look like they’d feed into a small tail but a tail all the same (I do think the coccyx is absent though). If it were a hoax about aliens or pixies or whatever garbage, I think there’d have been MORE skeleton left unless it really was an animal made to look like the others.

Since falcons eat bats, that was what looked closest and had a plausible explanation for being found there.

@ScientistV You clearly know more about bat anatomy than I do, so that's more than good enough for me. 🙂

Why waste your time and enegy? What's a woo?

Woo is pseudoscience.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.