Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

to me...absolutely. to the religious...absolutely not. they'd have to start dealing with reality and personal responsibility.

I'm not sure. I can assign some meaning to it but it seems to me that life on Earth is an accidental event and essentially meaningless.

The point of life is that you are able to determine your own purpose. You must make your own life meaningful, or don't. It's your choice and you shouldn't depend on someone else to determine your worth or meaning.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

Meaning is merely an idea. You can have a good life without the idea of meaning. Just enjoy the moment; there does not need to be a greater purpose.

The world would be great and wonderful without religions.

Yes! The world is full of amazing things, religion only devides

Yes, It makes life even more meaningful.

mine seems to be... i'm happy with it

The meaning of life at the biological level is 'eat, survive, reproduce'. These are the biological imperatives. But we humans also have a psychological dimension but at this level, there are no imperatives so we are free to invent our own 'meaning' to life, and that is exactly what most of us do.

Religion is a lie so it doesn't have any meaning.

More so, I've found.

Yes even more so since we now search for why we are on earth knowing there is no need to worship some deity

KICKN Level 5 Nov 10, 2017

Unquestionably!

Absolutely!

Most definitely.

SamL Level 7 Nov 3, 2017

sure, life is what you make of it. you can find meaning almost anywhere.

yes!

I don't think that religion has any bearing on whether life is meaningful or not.

There are hundreds of straiter paths to perfect wisdom and thus peace of mind.

It is MORE meaningful being an atheist as a) we are dealing with the truth and not some rubbish superstition controlling our lives and b) we realize that this is the only life we have so we should live it to the full every day and enjoy the journey for what it is. I like the question though as taken a little further in the search for truth, atheism can easily lead to the conclusion that life is meaningless, which is the truth, but in discovering this truth I find I can celebrate what meaning I decide to bring into my own life and I can feel good about it as I have done it for myself so it wasn't 'given' to me by some spirit in the sky.

Of course. It is what we make it.

I suggest that it is much more meaningful without religion.

Yes, absolutely. Meaning is something we create in our own minds. Before leaving Christianity, I probably would've said no, because I couldn't imagine my life without the beautiful mythology that I accepted as real. I wrote lots of songs about it. But the freedom I experienced in leaving all that behind has inspired me more than religion ever did, and I still write lots of songs!

Life is what you make it, it is your actions that give it meaning. Giving something of yourself to others, the environment, the general social good or someone in need puts that meaning in it. I would hate the idea of looking back on a life that did nothing to make the world a better place.

I think life is even more meaningful without religion. When you aren't looking forward to dying so you can meet the big guy in the sky or you think there is another life after this one you don't really value the life you have. But when you don't believe in the afterlife then you treasure the life you have more and don't look forward to dying. Ricky Gervais explained this really well in an interview with Piers Morgan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.