Agnostic.com

12 2

How does one overcome the loneliness of living in the midst of hardcore believers?

Unbeliever010 3 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Move to another place. Hardcore believers always turn a conversation to their beliefs. That's when I impolitely leave

Through acceptance and understanding. If you can accept them regardless of their beliefs and show an understanding of their religions (or at least a willingness to learn), you can have intelligent conversations without arguing or anyone being offended. Therefore, it shouldn't matter that everyone around you believes, it's not religion people flock to, it's personality and charisma.

That's probably one right attitude, but it is not easy! The problem is not accepting them, but overcoming loneliness in the midst of religious noise!

There are tons of us in Atlanta. We have an ATL heathens meetup. We get together socially as much as we can. I have friends who believe all over the spectrum and we do just fine as long as we are respectful of o e another

Thank you! I'd like to meet. Where and when can I join that group of freethinkers?

Don't talk about religion. I was in the Bible belt for ba few years and it was hard, but everyone has and are entitled to their beliefs. And religion has a way of brainwashing people into believing. " he's a loving God, if you don't believe in him you'll go to Hell and burn for all eternity." yeah, that's the guy I don't want to follow!

One might consider moving. I am an introvert so I can shrug off a lot of 'those people', but if you are extroverted you should find a new local.

Atlanta... I have a friend who just moved here from Atlanta a year ago. She spoke highly of the UU church in Atlanta which she attended. Based ion what I know of her beliefs, you will be among like-minded friends there.

I can write, my persona is larger than life figure. I am at awed on my presence. You have to believe in yourself brother... step one.

Absolutely, chat forums like this help! I also second the advice to look for local get together groups on meetup.com. see if there is a UU Church anywhere near you. They are not Christian, rather, open to all people seeking community to talk about values and social issues and support the diversity of personal spiritual paths. It makes for refreshing conversation just the fact of people NOT being fundamentalist in their opinions.

you can try going out on Sunday morning, grocery shopping, or going to a park. it's sort of thins out the church crowd. of course you run the risk of running into a Seventh Day Adventist....lol.

I mostly start with small questions and then expand or refrain based on observation. I also socialize with work colleagues, doing work in the computer world their are many non believers.

By socializing.

I don't mean to trivialize how you feel. I DO mean to point out that not all theists are jerks... same as atheists and agnostics are not all... insert undesirable descriptive here.

The key is to just find someone you like to hang out with and, hang out with them. If they start proselytizing, you start moving on.

I, in fact, appreciate having conversations with, respectful mind, people of all beliefs and faiths. I don't believe, I do NOT want to be converted (and I tell them as much, in fact, I tell them that they are much more likely to convince me by NOT trying to convert me), but have had some amazing conversations with rabbi's, pastors, priests, nuns, etc. People of strong faith. The good ones, are just good and they are good people who are a lot of fun to be around.

The crazies really are crazy and are pretty easy to spot right off. Avoid them like the plague (both have similar characteristics) and you don't need to be lonely. While doing this, you may find several folks of the agnostic to atheist persuasion. 🙂

For the record, my last girlfriend was a pastor and she had no problem at all with my being atheist. She thought humans deserve to believe as they wish to and that we will all be better when we realize it. She hangs out with folks of all kinds of faiths and is great people... just not girlfriend material for me. Sadly...

This question of mine has been torturing me for years! Hoping to find good people here!

this is a good place. as big as Atlanta is I think you can find a Meetup group of like minds

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22035
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.