Agnostic.com

16 1

Random post: while sitting at my desk this evening listening to NPR and trying not to rot my brain with screen time, I tried to remember all 50 states. I remembered all but four before I had to Google what I missed..........sorry, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, and Utah! What "brain games " do my fellow Agnostics do to keep your mind from going to mush?

AzVixen52 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a surefire bar bet, name them all in 20 minutes. We all know all the states and we all respond, "Oh, that's easy!" But very few of us can.

I co-parent a 14 yr old. If that doesn't tax a mind (in a good way) nothing will.

Actually, rotting, mushy brains are a good soil for sprouting new ideas. I know; I garden.

I used to get in a right state but I hardly remember any of them. I guess that's the downside of booze and drugs.

Massachusetts and New Hampshire are not states but comonweaths (not bad from a Brit lol) I play a number plate game whilst driving Uk plates have 3 letters so you have to make a word out of the 3 letters in order but without any letter repeating before your done. So for example you see JDC You could have " judicial " or DFN " redefined "

According to the USA map, Massachusetts and New Hampshire are states.

Kentucky and Pennsylvania complete 4 of 50 states officially branded COMMONWEALTHs....but New Hampshire is NOT one Virginia is with Mass

I concoct problems to be solved through the application of physics and mathematics. In working up my stories I need to do a lot of that, so it is also a part of my work. I spend some time reinventing the wheel for fun. I enjoy hidden pattern games and optical illusions.

I am a fan of Maurits Cornelis Escher's works.

I like to name as many Kings and Queens of England as I can in chronological order starting with Edgar the Peaceful. Sadly, the Presidents of the United States and the 50 states were set to music and so I can't do thise brain games without the tune doing all the work for me. Another good one was reciting as much of the preamble to the US Constitution, the articles and the Amendments.

Sudoku and I read the dictionary.

I do BOTH of those things! Great minds, eh?

I make up stories in my head. Once in awhile I write them down.

State and country capitals / main rivers (world) / inventors....

What do I do to keep my brain from going to mush. Many would say it's too late. But Sudoku is a nice placebo.

I have a problem with doing "basic" math in my head. (I often use my fingers for simple addition and subtraction.. ) I am a systems engineer, and often do linear calculations for algorithms, and or map binary to hex, easily, though. It's something I've seen in a lot of my colleagues as well. A few years back a supervisor gave me a set of memory tools to help me 're-learn' basic math. So when I'm feeling a bit "mushy" I tend to run through those exercises. They really haven't helped, (hahah) but they are a great method to regain focus.

Hi, there is only one State in the Us at the moment with President Trump, it’s called a terrible state. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 8, 2018

Holy crap....I looked up 'problem telling right from left', which I have....I have to do mnemonic to do it which takes a fraction of a hesitation. And discovered that it is related to another problem that runs in my family: bad geography skills. So, thanks for this non-linear discovery! As for the actual question: I constantly feed my brain books, most often audible because I am an artist who puts a lot of time each day into my work. I do audio college courses constantly. And talk to you people.

Match all state capitols with states WDC gets 3 electoral votes but zero seats in Congress

We sang a song about the 50 states in middle school, and even though that was decades ago, I can still recite all the states in alphabetical order.

I have some puzzle games on my phone that I play a lot: Ruzzle, Cody Cross, Word Cookies, Make Hexa, Flow Free, Cross Fingers, Unblock Me.

Nice, but I'm trying to avoid screen time, including phone screens. We are all so dependent on that now.....I was looking for more old school ways , but thanks for the comment!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.