Agnostic.com

13 2

Does this seem like an agnostic or atheist site?

• 2 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 12 votes
bingst 8 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is far more atheist than agnostic, and there is a lot of angry atheists, evangelical christianity can do that to those that walk away.

Agreed.

many more atheists making opinions anyway. the site itself does not seem to make opinions

It is really both. There is a continuum of thinking across the two, so it would be impossible to say this is where atheism stops and agnosticism starts.

One is not atheist or agnostic. For example, I identify as an agnostic atheist. That is to say that I am atheist by virtue of my NOT BELIEVING that any god exists. Likewise, I am agnostic by holding that I DO NOT KNOW for 100% that any god does not exist. The term atheist is a statement regarding belief while agnostic is a statement regarding knowledge.

This link provides a great visual:

[actok.org]

AMGT, you seem to be using agnostic as a term meaning "lack of knowledge?" These three terms, agnostic, theist, and atheist, all address the existence of a god or gods.

You are very much mistaken bingst when you say:

"AMGT, you seem to be using agnostic as a term meaning "lack of knowledge?" These three terms, agnostic, theist, and atheist, all address the existence of a god or gods"

No they don't & any decent dictionary will tell you the nuanced differences:

Agnostic: a person who does not know if there is a god or gods.
Atheist: a person who does not believe god claims.
Theist: a person who believes in a supernatural creator being

If someone is asked if they believe there's a god & they can't say they do is an unbeliever & therefore must be an atheist otherwise they would say 'Yes' or maybe 'Probably'. 'Perhaps' isn't saying 'yes'.

Terms aren't mutually exclusive, and most atheists I've met here are also agnostics.

There seems to more atheists than agnostics and I'm loving it. I'm not saying this is the case, but if agnostics have a problem with that, then they have a problem being challenged. I don't. I'm comfortable defending my position, as well as saying that I simply do not know something, or that I need more research.

I voted atheist, but I was torn between that and agnostic.
I think most honest atheists would say they're agnostic atheists since we can't know 100%.

While it may be true that atheists have no way to be 100% certain no god exist & I can't but I also cannot be 100% certain there are no mermaids under the sea somewhere so should I also be agnostic about those sort of claims too? If not what's the BIG difference seeing as there's no good reason to believe such mermaid claims or any god claim you care to mention - or is there 1 good reason?

Could you rephrase that question for me, please?
I have a messed up brain and I take a lot of meds so I get confused rather easily sometimes.

Sure Paul628. The question pose was:

"Does this seem like an agnostic or atheist site?
Does this seem like an agnostic or atheist site?"

This can be rephrased as:

Does this seem like a site for people who don't know if there's a god or a site who don't believe god claims?

either way people don't believe that there IS a god yeah?

Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul, I get scrambled sometimes.

I believe there is one type of agnostic who believes there is a god but can't be sure.

Then there is the type who does not believe there is a god but can't be sure.

Then there is the atheist who lacks a belief in a god or gods.

I take a step back and answer the question prior to which religious label do I accept. Am I religious? No. What's the point in going any further? I don't care if someone wants to label me as agnostic or atheist. I'm not who I am based on what I'm not.

Okay. Not quite what I meant. How would you characterize the site, not yourself? What's the overall tone of the site based on posts you've read?

Honestly, I would say based on polls I've seen like the one where at the time I voted more people stated the knew 100% that there was no god, the site might be nearly as dogmatically ignorant as a fundamental religious one. So, in that regard, I'd probably go with atheist.

I would say more atheist.

SamL Level 7 Oct 25, 2017

You can be both at the same time!

There seems to be at least some of each here . Though our commonality may be that there are more open minds, with the ability to consider other views ?

Both. (a)theism and (a)gnosticism are two different questions. You can be an agnostic atheist, as I am and I expect most people here are, where you don’t claim to know whether or not any gods exist, and therefore you don’t believe. Alternatively you can be an agnostic theist, where you still don’t claim to know, but you believe anyway. Gnostic theists and atheists claim to know with certainty whether or not any gods exist.
[actok.org]

Both. If you are asked if you believe in a god & you say anything other than 'yes' (including 'I don't know' ) you are an atheist. Perhaps an agnostic atheist but still an atheist.

Paul Level 5 Oct 25, 2017

I disagree. I also reject the term "agnostic atheism," as I see them as mutually exclusive.

bingst, how can you see the terms as mutually exclusive? The terms aren't on the same continuum. "Theism" - "atheism" is one polarity regarding belief or non-belief in a deity. "Gnosticism" - "agnosticism" is a separate polarity about whether or not you feel that you actually know that your beliefs are true. ZenBear addresses this above. There are four categories: gnostic theist, gnostic atheist, agnostic theist, agnostic atheist.

"I don't know" could be construed as agnostic whereas No could not

There is no contradiction between atheism & agnosticism. None. If you cannot answer in the affirmative to the question 'Do you think that there is a God?' you don't believe in one. You cannot say 'I don't know' & expect that to mean 'Yes'. If the question was 'Do you have significant doubt about claims a God exists & therefore can't say you believe?' it's the same as not being able to actually say 'Yes' when asked if you believe there's a God. It really IS that simple so there's no contradiction between being an atheist & being agnostic. I'm an agnostic atheist myself but only in the trivial sense in as much as I don't believe claims a Loch Ness Monster exists but am I 100% certain there isn't one? No. I try not to be 100% certain of anything & wouldn't even want to be as regards anything I may be mistaken about. I just doubt that I am when god claims are made.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2212
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.