Agnostic.com

20 0

You are what you eat: True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am what I am, I know that much.....

I've never eaten human, yet TADA!

One thing I'm concerned about is all that partially hydrogenated oil that I once ate. It doesn't occur in nature. It's irritating.

I'm trying to rectify this thought with chips and salsa.

You calling me CHICKEN!? hehehe 🙂

Hahaha! Love your sense of humor!

You run a marathon every week and never lose weight. Because....(wait for it). You are what you eat. Period

Ask a nutritionist:

"Do you think that the saying, “You are what you eat” is true?

"Not really. This saying is very short-sighted in terms of the fact that people are a lot more than their diet or how they look. I know plenty of people who eat “perfect” and are depressed and unhappy. I also know individuals who are very successful but don’t eat well at all including some elite athletes…so are they “what they eat”?

Another problem with this saying is that if you think of a food as a “good” vs “bad” food, does that make you a good or bad person because you ate a food categorized this way? Unfortunately, some people believe this to be true! I personally don’t believe someone is a “bad” person because they ate a food deemed “forbidden” (or vice versa).

"From a technical (or scientific) perspective, this statement is not true. For example, everything we eat, i.e. an egg, is made up of DNA. DNA is really the code for “who we are.” If you eat an egg, your body (or your DNA) does not become that of the egg. This concept becomes very important in some controversial issues, such as genetically modified foods (a topic beyond the scope of this question)."

[enlightenunutrition.wordpress.com]

I remember a nutritionist/author said,“You are not what you eat, but what you digest and assimilate.” What you don't digest will greatly reduce your energy, strength, endurance, and ... -Jo Willard.
Makes sense.

@Gurahl well said!!

Ignoratio elenchi. The point is that what we eat affects us. But more so that eating healthy foods is only beneficial if our body assimilates the nutrients within said foods.
The quotes you cited may be "quackery", but how does that invalidate the quote I cited?

To some extent I suppose.
I eat because I enjoy foods so I try to do that as much as possible. I worry less about nutritional content and focus on the taste

Is this why people keep calling me a dick?

I'm toast

Very true. In all ways, as you do, so shall it be.

Nah. I don't eat humans.

if it was true i'd be lox. i'm not lox. therefore it's not true.

it's partly true but it's far from wholly true. you are what you eat, what you think, how you sleep, where you walk, how much energy you expend doing what, what you say, whom you love and a bunch of other things. what you eat affects you. it doesn't BECOME you and you don't become it.

that being said, i've known two people who subsist almost wholly on cola and chicken. they're both insane.

g

True. Diet is extremely important to health and wellbeing.

You are how you eat.

Technically true, as the (almost) only source of atoms and molecules that makes you comes from eating and drinking.
But your body has many mechanisms to turn one kind of molecule into another.
Also the discipline in eating is a reflection of the general discipline of the person, as it is a so basic behavior.

True. Quite literally true.

If this were true l would be a dark chocolate vagina filled with chicken, salad, and cherry strudel. ?

Sorry, i can only think of a rude answer to that now ???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221915
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.