Agnostic.com

7 2

POLL Commemorating Claude Monet

"It is extraordinary to see the sea; what a spectacle! She is so unfettered that one wonders whether it is possible that she again become calm."

" C'est extraordinaire de voir la mer; quel spectacle! Elle est si libre qu'on se demande s'il est possible qu'elle redevienne calme."

-Claude Monet

Today, November 14th, in 1840 Oscar-Claude Monet was born in Paris, France. He was a French painter, a founder of French Impressionist painting and the most consistent and prolific practitioner of the movement's philosophy of expressing one's perceptions before nature, especially as applied to plein air landscape painting

Have you had the good fortune of viewing any of Monet's works in person?

• 10 votes
  • 5 votes
Diogenes1972 6 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love Monet. One of my favorites. He's the artist who first drew me to impressionism.

Photographs and prints of his work don't do justice to his mastery.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 14, 2018

I don't think I have actually seen any of his paintings, but I could be wrong. It is easy to become overwhelmed when you go to a major art museum.

I visited the Tate Modern on several occasions when I lived in London. I usually took my time and spent an hour round one floor level per visit, and then went back the following weekend to another part of the museum (there's a huge collection). And on a regular basis, there were special exhibits shown for a limited period of time. I have had the good fortune of viewing some of Monet's paintings including the Water-Lilies (after 1916).

Saw his Water Lilies at MOMA

Not my thing.

I love the paintings of Claude Monet. The Art Institute of Chicago has a wonderful collection of Impressionist paintings, including Monet's luminous haystack paintings.

The Metropolitan Museam of Art carries his work. Although I appreciate Monet, I lean more toward Van Gogh. It is about the brush strokes as well as the work in its entirety.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:222624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.