Agnostic.com

124 3

What would make you believe in a God?

What would need to happen for you to be able to distguish between a God and more advanced technology.

paul1967 8 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

124 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excellent question! I am not sure how I would be able to differentiate between an actual deity and some superhuman alien being that was trying to convince me it was a deity. I have thought about this in the past: maybe an actual deity can surprise me by coming up with an answer to a question that no alien, no matter how superbly intelligent, would be able to answer. Back when I was a creationist and ID advocate, I read in an essay from William Demski which suggested a way to distinguish between a divine being and a merely superhuman one: ask a question whose answer takes more information and resources to answer than available in the known universe. An answer to a question that no supercomputer can come up with, no matter how advanced. I don't know if Demski was right about this but this is the best that I have been able to come up with.

So , what's the question?

Seeing is believing would help.

For him to appear in front of me, make Steven Hawking able to walk and function like everyone else, heal all the people with disease and give plentiful harvests and access to clean water to those who do not need it.

Seeing God with my own two eyes would make me believe.

A God is the only thing that could make me believe in God. I would like to say empirical evidence, but I really don't know. Frankly I am unconcerned about it. If God is all knowing, God would know what it would take to convince me. If a God exists and fails to convince me of its existence than it must be as unconcerned about it as I am.

He would have to show up in front of billions of people all at once. He would also have to answer questions and have proof that he is correct. Also show supernatural powers.

A religion that doesn't practice hating on and ostracising non-believers. So far the Islamic and christians are on the same page when it comes to this. Being at work has proved this to me.

Absolutely Undeniable, Empirically Tried, Tested and tangible, factual Evidence tested, examined, re-tested, re-examined by a panel of its Peers is the ONLY way I would even vaguely consider believing that ANY God/s/Goddesses exist or have ever existed.

Doubt it!!!!

meeting someone here to date....

it's not there yet but I have hope that it will be

Evidence. The same way we believe in everything else. Not anecdotal evidence, but independently verified trials. The same way we believe why a certain drug is effective. After that, we would have to rewrite some very basic laws to account for any miracles, if God can do those.

Geoff Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

Evidence.

which one?? Enough said! Propaganda used to control the masses.

ParkS Level 4 Nov 19, 2017

Visually from a safe spaceship, watch "GOD" create another "universe" in 6 days.

He will not a rest? I'd go with that god 😀

I think I could believe in God easier than a religion but not God as we know it. Do our pets think of us as Gods?

Ignorant pets do. My dog thinks he's a god, barks at me when I don't serve him. I think he came from that Dog Star 😀

Good question, I really don't know but an omniscient and omnipotent being should have no problem making me believe.

I couldn't care less if God came down from the heavens, and professed to be the second coming of Jesus. I would only ask him, 'if you truly are a benevolent god, then why did you create beings who have to feed on other living beings (your creation) to survive?"

Isn't it a shame that Gods creation is smarter than God lol?

It would take a lot more than turning water into wine 2000 years ago. a great party trick, but no more. I think the real question is if god finally showed up, why would anyone worship it?

Evidence... Believable evidence is all it would take.

I've thought about this before. At the very least, I'll tell it this, "I'll just keep asking for evidence and for us to define our terms: what makes a god a god and not just a being with better loot and skill-trees than me." I'll Tom Sawyer that som'bitch: If you can paint my fence without using a brush, I'll be a little closer to "believing." If a god is simply something with more capabilities than us as a species, then you get your win, buddy. You're the fart that pooped gold, now go god somewhere else. That's the thing with questions like these, when you say "god" what exactly do you mean? If anything we still have to work on the premise of this discussion.

that is a question that I have no ready answer to BUT if there is a god HE will know

Depends on what you mean by "god". If we are talking about that which brought about life we have to ask we think life came about. Or do we really know how life came about? We have theories.

Abiogenesis has a couple of noteworthy hypotheses, such as "The RNA World" hypothesis which you should look into. A great explanation for this is at Stated Clearly. This channel on youtube is among the best I've seen for people interested in science.

A scientific THEORY is a provable truth. Like gravity, which we all can agree is real, science has proven that life on earth started in what is known as primordial soup and evolved from there.

"It" would have to appear in a visible form to me. Then I would believe "it" exists but I'd have quite a few more questions and complaints.

How could you distinguish between a God and a being with more advanced abilities to humankind?

John Nash saw and talked to a lot of people who weren't there.

@paul1967 You have a good point. If the being clearly had some higher abilities than humankind it would depend I guess on what abilities they showed. Even then, God is a man made word. There is no true test for what is or is not a god other than using perhaps humankind as the baseline for abilities.

Well if God was real when people pray things would happen but they pray after a disaster. I.f God was real there would be no need to pray because the disaster wouldn't have happened in the first place. He is supposed to be all caring and loving but look at the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.